Cheerleaders Killed in Head-On Fiery Crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bee Happy

Reaction score
(hope this hasn't been posted)

FAIRPORT, New York (AP) -- A fiery head-on collision killed five women in a sport utility vehicle less than a week after they graduated from a high school in a Rochester suburb, the principal said Wednesday.
Their Chevrolet Trail Blazer had just passed a vehicle late Tuesday when it swerved back across the two-lane road into oncoming traffic and hit a tractor-trailer, the Ontario County Sheriff's Office said. Both vehicles caught fire.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/27/teens.crash.ap/index.html

This is so sad and tragic. These girls had their whole life ahead of them. This accident was most likely due to driver inexperience. I pray for their families.

Geez...how terrible. We've been seeing a lot of accidents involving teens out here in California. What's really sad is that they all pack into these cars together, so when there is an accident so many lives are lost.

(hope this hasn't been posted)

FAIRPORT, New York (AP) -- A fiery head-on collision killed five women in a sport utility vehicle less than a week after they graduated from a high school in a Rochester suburb, the principal said Wednesday.
Their Chevrolet Trail Blazer had just passed a vehicle late Tuesday when it swerved back across the two-lane road into oncoming traffic and hit a tractor-trailer, the Ontario County Sheriff's Office said. Both vehicles caught fire.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/27/teens.crash.ap/index.html

Holy crap! This is my hometown! I went to highschool there.

Edit: Here's the cheerleading site at Fairport High with pictures and message about the girls: http://fairportcheerleading.com/

This is a horrible sad story, such a shame.
I read their squad finished first in some championship in FLA.

Five young women with everything ahead of them, gone in five seconds.

Here is a couple of their myspace profiles:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=20092897

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=41781860

The others are set to "Private."
These myspace accounts (especially the second one) almost brings tears to your eyes. These young girls were full of life. I'm afraid that they (the driver) was a little careless; and, in an instant, their young lives were snuffed out. So sad. I hope that young people realize that anything can happen in cars. I remember losing a few friends when I was young due to this exact same scenario--passing cars on a two-lane highway and hitting other vehicles head-on. Slow down!! You'll get there... :(

This is sad indeed :( they look so full of life in the pics ... way too young to have their lives taken so quickly... prayers for their family and friends..

Oh man. The one myspace has "Life is a highway" as the song. :(

These myspace accounts (especially the second one) almost brings tears to your eyes. These young girls were full of life. I'm afraid that they (the driver) was a little careless; and, in an instant, their young lives were snuffed out. So sad. I hope that young people realize that anything can happen in cars. I remember losing a few friends when I was young due to this exact same scenario--passing cars on a two-lane highway and hitting other vehicles head-on. Slow down!! You'll get there... :(

Hey Nan,

Boy do you ever capture the main point in five little words: "Slow down, you'll get there" such a simple message yet could save so many young lives.

I read somewhere that maybe the driver that was doing 40 mph that the girls were passing sped up as the girls tried to pass him and I can see that totally messing up the young female driver... this happened to me only a few weeks ago and actually as I pulled way back to get behind the guy again he slowed right down so I couldn't get behind him, it was terrifying. He was only doing maybe 50 ks (not miles) I thought it was no big deal but the guy was a jerk and made it really hard for me to get back in the right lane. IF the driver the girls were passing did something like this he will ahve to live with himself knowing what he contributed to.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this happen.

Jubie

jubie, you've raised a good point. I've run across drivers like that (oops, not literally!). I know here in Ohio they've been charged if it ends up in an accident. Hopefully that's the case in NY too.

What is even more horrible, to me, is that their friends were following them & saw it all happen.

They are saying the girls were trying to pass a minivan & over-corrected & lost control. I am assuming they were on a two way road. One of the girls said it seemed like it took them forever to pass the minivan, as if the minivan was speeding up, so they could not pass. I hope this is not the case. The police said they have interviewed the driver of the van, & they do not think this is what happened, the girls had already passed the van when the accident occured.
I live close to a 2 lane highway, & it seems like the drivers under 25 are constantly passing. I have had them pass me when I am doing 10 - 15 mph over the speed limit, & I have had them pass in my lane (coming the opposite way). Honestly, what is the big rush, so you can get to your destination 2 minutes before you would have if you decided not to pass?
I always ask myself - is it safe? and, is it worth it? I am a working mother of 3 young children, with a high pressure job - It is usually not worth the time savings for me - so I slow down & take a deep breath & back off. Of course, I have been driving for a long time. What is the rush for a 22 year old, or 18 year old, really??

jubie, you've raised a good point. I've run across drivers like that (oops, not literally!). I know here in Ohio they've been charged if it ends up in an accident. Hopefully that's the case in NY too.

Taximom,

I hope if the driver did this it can be proven but so far no one is coming right out and saying it.

Those poor girls seeing that truck come barreling at them, it breaks my heart. I knew what to do in my situation (slow right down and pull off to the shoulder even though it was the wrong lane) but this young girl just didn't have enough experience to judge distance and speed. 40mph isn't all that slow though... isn't that like 80 kmph? Nan is right. slow down, you'll get there.

Jubie

What a tragic loss of life. Kid's that age think they are invincible.

I don't see how anyone else can be blamed. Wether the other driver slowed down or not. They were trying to pass when they shouldn't have been. :(

What a tragic loss of life. Kid's that age think they are invincible.

I don't see how anyone else can be blamed. Wether the other driver slowed down or not. They were trying to pass when they shouldn't have been. :(

I know I thought I was!

What a terrible loss - my prayers to the community, their families and friends.

Just horrible. In 1986 right after I graduated from HS, a girl who'd been in my class and two of her friends (who'd graduated the year before) were killed in a drunk-driving accident. A drunk driver hit them on their way to the movies, so it wasn't their fault. Every time something like this happens somewhere I think of Dawn, Lynn & Alisa. :(

I remember some of the dumb things I did while driving. I was a nervous wreck driving and that made me do even dumber things. I have since calmed down and gotten much better. Good thing I lived in a dinky town.

It was always scary in HS when anyone, those who had recently graduated or were still in school, were in any kind of accident. That's what I think of as well.

I feel bad for the families, their friends, even kids who didn't know them well. I'm sure it's a big deal for them as well.

My teenage sons are always yelling at me to pass slow cars on two lane highways and I just don't feel comfortable,unless I can absolutley see miles up ahead. Its just not worth getting there 5 mins sooner.
I'm sure the girls were just so excited to get to their destination. I grieve for their families and friends. This could be any of us with teens,in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708