Woman With No Arms Sues McDonalds After being Denied Service For Using Feet

White Rain

Reaction score
A woman has filed a lawsuit against a McDonald's franchise, claiming that employees in two suburban Chicago restaurants refused to serve her because a birth defect forces her to use her feet as hands.
Dawn Larson was born with Holt-Oram Syndrome, which left her with diminutive hands just six inches from her shoulder, according to a report Monday in the Chicago Sun-Times.
Click here to read the Sun-Times story.
"I drank my baby bottle with my feet," she told the paper. "Nobody ever taught me how to do it, I just did it. I can ride a regular 10-speed bike. I can swim. It has not been a problem in my life at all. It didn't stop me from having four boys. I've never dropped one of them."
In her lawsuit filed last week against the Rockford, Ill., McDonald's chain, Larson claims staff refused to serve her after she paid by credit card with her left foot for $23.59 of food last November, the paper reported.
"What's the matter with you? . . . You ain't got no arms. ... Let me see your arms," an employee allegedly told Larson with a tone of disgust, withdrawing the bags of food from Larson's outstretched foot, the paper said, citing the lawsuit. more at link
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287716,00.html

And I hoping with everything she wins! She has obviously accomplished a lot! Her feet were probably cleaner than the worker's hands.

It makes you wonder where these people come from - how they could grow up and be so callous.

My gut response NORMALLY would be that they weren't taught tolerance in their families but that can't always be - my own brother who was raised by my Mother (a special education teacher at the time) spent a summer working at a Burger King. This one kid in our town had sufferred a broken neck in a car accident and had one of those metal contraptions that keep your neck from moving, and is bolted to the head. The kid came in the restaraunt that day when my brother was working. My brother came home that night and with dismay said "And they expected us to treat him like any other customer!"

I never EVER figured out just what the heck he was thinking!

But - he was raised by my mother, saw mentally and physically challenged people who were treated with love and respect - and we spent time volunteering with the kids in the group homes all the time - so I have no clue how he, or other people could be so clueless.

And I hoping with everything she wins! She has obviously accomplished a lot! Her feet were probably cleaner than the worker's hands.

lol, it was Maccas after all- I try not to think about grotty little teenage hands having touched my food if I eat there!

No kidding. When I worked as a teller at a credit union, women would pull money out of their sweaty bras and hand it to me. I just took the money and tried real hard not to think that it had just been under Big Bertha's left boob. I would have gladly accepted money from just a foot any day. :)

No kidding. When I worked as a teller at a credit union, women would pull money out of their sweaty bras and hand it to me. I just took the money and tried real hard not to think that it had just been under Big Bertha's left boob. I would have gladly accepted money from just a foot any day. :)

LOL. Oh my goodness that is so nasty.

I heard this on the radio this morning. Honestly what I couldn't get over was that she went to TWO DIFFERENT McD's and got the same treatment?!
I saw a Discovery Health on a lady with no arms and used her feet for evrything. She was awesome. She could apply mascara better with her toes than I can with my fingers.
When she was out with her bf he would hold her foot when they sat in the park instead of her hand. It was really cute.

Dawn wasn't served at mics, so let justice be served for her by winning the lawsuit.

Lion

I saw a lady do this at Walmart. She was pulling her cell phone, change, keys, & dollar bills out of the *advertiser censored*. I thought OMG! :eek:

I had no ideas that bras were so useful for storage! Man, I just keep my *advertiser censored* in there, and that's it....

I hope this woman wins her lawsuit. I know there are several frivolous suits out there, but I don't think this is one of them. I can't believe she was treated that way!

I heard this on the radio this morning. Honestly what I couldn't get over was that she went to TWO DIFFERENT McD's and got the same treatment?!
I saw a Discovery Health on a lady with no arms and used her feet for evrything. She was awesome. She could apply mascara better with her toes than I can with my fingers.
When she was out with her bf he would hold her foot when they sat in the park instead of her hand. It was really cute.

I saw this. She hopped up on the counter and made her son eggs for breakfast. She was a real inspiration.

What a shame that people can treat someone so coldly. I mean, I can see that people are going to look, it's different from the norm to us, but to be rude...well, there's just no excuse.

I wonder what size bras they buy, mine are only big enough for my *advertiser censored*!!

I really hope that she wins her lawsuit, that ignorant employee making a comment about her arms. That really makes me mad.

I had no ideas that bras were so useful for storage! Man, I just keep my *advertiser censored* in there, and that's it....

I hope this woman wins her lawsuit. I know there are several frivolous suits out there, but I don't think this is one of them. I can't believe she was treated that way!

SHHH, I'll tell you a little secret. It's not "all" bras that work like this. They have to be, ummm, "ample."

Now, on topic: This woman will win her lawsuit. Shame on the employees who mocked her and denied her service.

I really have no idea what to make of this. They could have just accepted the credit card there. If they were worried about touching a card that somebody's foot touched, they have plenty of rubber gloves available at McDonald's. There was no real reason to deny her service.

I too hope she wins- that being said, I am usually one of the first to say...oh another lawsuit-- but this one is legit and I hope she wins a zillion dollars-

I am really have a hard time about this issue. Definitely the employees who dared treat her that way should be fired. As far as compensation, I am not sure. Mc Donalds does alot for people. I stayed in one of their houses at a hospital when daughter was hurt. They fed us, sheltered us. and took care of our emotional needs. The companies heart is in the right place, and I don't think they should be kicked because of a couple of ignorant employees.

Where was the manager during all of this? Were they just as ignorant as their employees?

As far as keeping items in your bra...I have lots of room in there

Where was the manager during all of this? Were they just as ignorant as their employees?

As far as keeping items in your bra...I have lots of room in there

I tried one of those push up bras that make fat women look less fat. I was in the dressing room and didn't adjust the straps first - so I ended up with a nipple in my nose (well, sort of) and my daughter climbs under the door and goes to yell out to the ladies that work there "Come quick! My Mom is having BOOB ISSUES!"

*blush*

Anyway, it was that day I learned that if a bra is fitted correctly, it lays flat on your chest in between the boobage and there isn't that neat little pocket for storing the food you drop out of your mouth when you eat.

So the trick is, get a bra that doesn't fit and you don't have to carry a purse. ;-)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back