Deaths might be related to giardasil vaccine

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/334/7605/1182

I can only find this article on it and Im not paying for the full story. Since it was introduced so early after minimal testing Im wondering if more stories like this are going to come out.
Unfortunately I cannot read the entire article and the abstract provided only offers up the fainting school girls and the 3 deaths, but no backup info.

Curious to see if any other info surfaces. This article is about a month old I think.

I just hope they really pay attention to the stats on this - not the emotion. A batch of mass hysteria causing headaches and such (if it only happened at one school, that strongly suggests hysteria or some other reaction - if it was real, it'd be happening everywhere, to everyone), and a death or so that would have happened regardless (people, even teenagers, die every day from random diseases - it's easy to blame it on the vaccine, or any other random occurence in life that just happens to show up at the same time.

We've lost good medicines before because of paranoia - too many people die of cervical cancer to let that happen to this vaccine, if it is a good one. It's so easy to make a vaccine appear dangerous by piling together every bad reaction, mass hysteria, and coincidental death - and ommitting every nonreaction, every life saved, all the people who had no trouble at all. It's a good way to make anything appear better or worse than it is.

I just hope they really pay attention to the stats on this - not the emotion. A batch of mass hysteria causing headaches and such (if it only happened at one school, that strongly suggests hysteria or some other reaction - if it was real, it'd be happening everywhere, to everyone), and a death or so that would have happened regardless (people, even teenagers, die every day from random diseases - it's easy to blame it on the vaccine, or any other random occurence in life that just happens to show up at the same time.

We've lost good medicines before because of paranoia - too many people die of cervical cancer to let that happen to this vaccine, if it is a good one. It's so easy to make a vaccine appear dangerous by piling together every bad reaction, mass hysteria, and coincidental death - and ommitting every nonreaction, every life saved, all the people who had no trouble at all. It's a good way to make anything appear better or worse than it is.
I completely agree Details. that is why I am anxious to read the complete article with..........details :)

Hmmm..it is something to look further into, but my daughter took the shot and did fine. I feel maybe I didn't do my homework and neither did my Doctor. I don't know I would have changed her getting the shot tho. I believe it will save many the awful ravages of cervical cancer in the future.

Hmmm..it is something to look further into, but my daughter took the shot and did fine. I feel maybe I didn't do my homework and neither did my Doctor. I don't know I would have changed her getting the shot tho. I believe it will save many the awful ravages of cervical cancer in the future.
I would have done it also.

To a degree, none of us can do our homework. For the full picture, you need a medical degree, and a decade or so of study in the field. But for the basic picture - I think the doctor has it pretty well. Not to mention the always fun bet that if there was a huge problem, the company wouldn't release it - no amount of profits will pay back the lawsuits if there is a real problem they knew about. Heck, if there's an imaginary problem (as with silicone breast implants), no amount of profits will pay that back either.

But at the basic level - cervical cancer is horrible, a lot of it is caused by this disease; this vaccine appears to prevent it; all studies so far show no serious side effects - the research is there to be pretty confident. It's all about placing your bets
- do it now - and be protected from the cancer, but exposed to the potential unknown side effects, if they exist
- or don't do it, but you might get the disease, and the enhanced risk of cancer, before enough studies come in to make you willing to get the vaccine.

Thus far everything looks good - I'd get it for my daughter if she were old enough. Sometimes the bet pays off, other times it doesn't - but you have to look at both sides - not just the side effects, but the diseases prevented by the vaccine. There have been drugs that people used, and had very bad side effects to. Then there are people who have held off on vaccines, and lost their children to the diseases that the vaccine would have prevented. All and all though, going with what your doctor says is the safest bet - historically it's got far and away the best odds.

My younger daughter will be getting the third shot in a couple of weeks. She has been fine. The older one hasn't stayed in one state long enough to get all three, but I hope she will do so soon.

For some reason, there seems to be an excessive amount of suspicion about this particular vaccine. It really seems like there is an undertone of "they'll think its ok to have sex" if they get the shots. If it was only available to those 21 and older, I bet folks wouldn't fuss so much. But by then it can be too late.

Both of my daughters have had the first series. One is immunosuppressed due to anti-rejection medication she takes and neither one has had any complaints so far.

The shot came highly recommended by my DD transplant team and so I decided to go ahead and get both done. My girls both asked what it was and the doc and I explained it to them and they just went on their merry way. I am not even sure they thought of it as a free pass for sex, they were more interested in the prevention of cancer.

I can attest to side effects. My DD is 17 and has had two out of 3 shots.

The first one she was fine until about 7 hours after the shot. She then started crying uncontrollably and shaking and could not tell us why. This was about 10:00pm on a Friday night. We called the after-hours Dr. who said they had never seen anything or heard of anything like it before....We called the CDC (their number was on the immunization info we received from the Dr.) and they didn't really have an answer, although on the info it says there is a chance of "emotional breakdown" but no one could explain what that meant. She calmed down after about 2 hours, and we gave her some benedryl just in case, and sent her to bed....she was fine.

After speaking with her Dr he thought it was just her being over-emotional because of her shot (my DD has extreme fear of needles....extreme!). We went ahead with the 2nd shot and DD went out with friends and all was well, until about 7 hours later again! She called us from the mall and said she couldn't drive home because she was sobbing and sobbing! At least this time we were all a bit prepared and she was kinda laughing while crying....
This time we reported to the Dr. and he has reported to whomever he reports to, and we have been in touch with the manufacturer.

DD will get the 3rd and final shot. She had cancer as a 4 year old and does NOT want to risk getting cervical cancer. The emotional breakdowns, while we cannot say for certain is attributed to the vaccine, is a small price to pay.
This is something we have talked and talked about, and checked and checked.

Nothing is 100% safe....nothing. I hope a generation of young ladies will be protected because of the good the vaccine does do...

Lynie

I googled and got lots and lots of articles that say things like "Sex Virus Vaccine not Safe for Little Girls". Honest. "Sex virus" and "little girls" appear in dozens of hits. Kind of puts the rabbit in the hat.

There are lots of articles opposing making the shots mandatory, which I can sympathize with.

But the articles about the three alleged deaths are all in libertarian, anti-government, pro-abstinence etc. mags, except for the one initial report, that seems to be inconclusive as to cause and effect.

This vaccine was approved in Canada for sale after 4 years of trials in the USA. Canada has more stringent "approval" measures then in the US.

No one stopped the trial or withdrew because of unpleasant side effects. So I feel that the benefits of this vaccine outweigh the "alleged" side effects.

The tragic part is that most medications, shots and other "medical" products (including "natural medicines") can sicken or kill SOME people. I can take handfuls of aspirin with no problem but aspirin can kill some people. Should we take it off the market? No, it's an excellent product. It all sort of falls in with the blame someone/sue someone mentality we have now. We tend not to trust corporate America anymore - being somewhat cautious is smart, but to think the medical community/drug companies are "out to get us" is going over board.

I'm not making light of those who DO have problems - it's always a terrible thing, but if I was Lynie's daughter, I think I could handle 6 hours of crying as a damned good trade off for not getting cervical cancer. I'm sure it's not fun for you all, but a good stock of Kleenex and some rest beats the heck out of surgery. radiation, chemo and possible death.

I think the governor in Texas was made to stop requiring children to get this vaccination. If my grand daughter wants it at about age 17, then I'll leave it up to her. After what happened to me when I took the Hep B vaccination and never being the same since, suffering c-difficile toxin after taking antibiotics, and no telling what else, I hope they don't keep this too quiet. I actually think that I'd rather have had cancer or Hepatitis B than what I've felt like for the last 13 years and there's many people who have been through it and worse. It's just not talked about much at all.

The vaccination wasn't required anywhere - parents could opt-out their kids - no problem. But - there's a gotcha. If this isn't made a 'mandatory' style vaccine (meaning everyone gets it unless they decide to object), health insurance won't pay for it. And the vaccine is pretty expensive to pay for out of pocket.

The vaccination wasn't required anywhere - parents could opt-out their kids - no problem. But - there's a gotcha. If this isn't made a 'mandatory' style vaccine (meaning everyone gets it unless they decide to object), health insurance won't pay for it. And the vaccine is pretty expensive to pay for out of pocket.

I think, as txsvicki said in her post, that the Governor of Texas made this a mandatory vaccine for girls. And I think that yes, a parent COULD opt-out, however that meant that by the parent opting out, the child wasn't allowed in school until up-to-date on the mandatory vaccine schedule. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about it...

Insurances DO pay for non-mandatory vaccines. The varicella vaccine is one that is covered, of course it varies by each plan, but I know of lots that do.

I think, as txsvicki said in her post, that the Governor of Texas made this a mandatory vaccine for girls. And I think that yes, a parent COULD opt-out, however that meant that by the parent opting out, the child wasn't allowed in school until up-to-date on the mandatory vaccine schedule. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about it...

Insurances DO pay for non-mandatory vaccines. The varicella vaccine is one that is covered, of course it varies by each plan, but I know of lots that do.
I read about it too. The children were not excluded from school, nor anything else, if the parents opted them out. All they had to do was to say no.

Insurance doesn't pay for this one. They'll not pay for whatever they can get away with not paying for. But if it's a mandatory, they have to pay.

I read about it too. The children were not excluded from school, nor anything else, if the parents opted them out. All they had to do was to say no.

Insurance doesn't pay for this one. They'll not pay for whatever they can get away with not paying for. But if it's a mandatory, they have to pay.

Ahhh...gotcha. I didn't know that opting out still allowed for the kids to be enrolled in school. I wonder how many parents got their daughter this vaccine, though, solely on the basis that it is being called "mandatory". I mean, if you can opt out, doesn't the presence of the "opt-out option" mean that it is optional? LOL, did that make sense?

Why in the world is this being touted as a mandatory vaccine in TX when it really is just an optional one?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back