MA MA - Valarie Fiorenza, 30, Saugus, 15 April 1993

aussiegran

Reaction score
Our daughter, Valarie Fiorenza, 30, was found dead on April 15, l993, in Saugus, Massachusetts. Her body was found hanging from a floor joist in a basement storage room in the home of her estranged live-in boyfriend, Saugus Police Officer Paul R. Bennett. The Saugus Police Department was the investigating agency and proclaimed the death a suicide even before the autopsy. The newspapers and TV were not contacted, because the police did not want anyone to know that Valarie's body w as found in the home of a police officer.

http://www.realcrimes.com/Fiorenza/vfiorenza.htm

OMG! I have not heard of a case so screwed up!!! Was there no outside LE agency, like the state troopers, to get involved in this investigation? In Texas, we have the TX Rangers who will investigate wrongdoing with local police. Is Paul Bennett still a cop even now? I can't believe this! To me, all fingers point to him. I think this would be a good case to send to Dr. Baden. I have seen where he has opened cases of questionable deaths, and found autopsy results were wrong. I don't understand the part of statue of limitations. Murder has no such limitation.
Valerie was beautiful! I can't imagine the heartache, or even greater, the frustration of this. I'm so sorry this happened to your beautiful daughter. Is there anything we WS'ers can do?

The problem is knowing who to escalate to and how to get the wheels moving. It's harder when it's not declared a homocide!

Most cops are fine - I know many, and they would pretty much never use force except as necessary on the job (well, OK there is the occasional off the record "warning" to someone who's messing with their family/close friends). I'm not sure that domestic violence is more prevalent in their marriages than in the general populace, but it's even harder for the abused spouse to leave when the abuser is part of the force that is supposed to protect us.

It doesn't help that it's such a macho job that they generally can't talk about how stressed they are from the job to their family. It's proven many times over that this kind of stress is a primary factor in cases of spousal or child abuse. Police often internalize the stress, which makes it pretty much impossible for there to be a family support network to help take that load off of them. Add in alcohol (another primary factor), and a family history of abuse (yet another primary factor), and you get a really really bad mix, especially since that person is trained in the use of force and is generally armed to the teeth. I think that abusers also tend to find each other and cover up for each other, so add that in and you have additional armed people enabling the abuse. Yikes.

The key to stopping it is to change police culture. It's touch, but I believe that in the next couple of generations (yes, this will be seriously long-term), this will happen. It helps to have more women on the force, and it will help if the military follows through and sets an example by destigmatizing mental health. Since lots of cops are ex-military, and police departments in general are paramilitary in design, it should rub off eventually.

//OK, rant over. Seriously, I hope that someday someone is able to fit the pieces together of these cases and bring the perpetrators to justice.

My sister is a cop. On her force, anyone guilty of domestic abuse is fired. They don't put up with it and have a zero tolerance policy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back