GUILTY FL - Lillian Smith, 83, dies of extreme neglect, Florida City, 3 July 2007

Saavy

Reaction score
http://www.local6.com/news/13638160/detail.html

Lillian V. Smith, 83, died at a hospital Thursday, two days after she was discovered in the abandoned trailer with no running water or bathroom, authorities said. Newspapers had been stuffed in her anus to stop feces from spilling onto the bed, according to a police report obtained by The Miami Herald.

Also:
No electricity in home
Had an untreated fractured leg
Son that lived in the trailer with her charged with elderly abuse(how about murder??)
Autopsy said she died of natural causes (I find that hard to believe!!)

This is horrific!

Good lord, that poor thing. I hope he goes to jail for a long time. Maybe he should be checked out for other crimes, someone who would do something like this to his mother probably has a history of abusing people.

it sounds like the whole family has a problem. Within sight of the main house, the occupants (daughter and son-in-law) knew there was no running water, etc... The son was encouraged to bring Smith to the house for a bath...
http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/163159.html

I'm sorry but even if I hated my mother I wouldn't let her live without the bare necessities in life.

OMG! It sounds as though the older woman was possibly in Alzheimer's (not recognizing family members) and the son sounds a bit "off" as well. (talking to himself). As for the jerks living in the house, their arses need to be arrested too. If they had no desire to help, they should have called Adult Protective Services. No one should have to live or die like this.

Unbelieveable. There were at least 3 other adults, not including the mother and creepy son, that should have had the brains to know that mother needed some help. NO running water in south florida, give me a break. I lived outside Ft. Lauderdale during my teenage years, and I must have taken a min of 2 showers a day due to the humidity, I was constantly sticky, YUCK. My greatest day was when I moved away from that humidity.

And the mother not taking showers, thats really gross. She must have smelled like the stinky garbage that they found in the house. I dont care how much her SS checks were, there was enough money to go and buy her adult diapers and baby wipes. She apparently didnt have a water bill, dont know about elec, and Im sure she didnt have cable. If she was that indigent, she would have been on medicare and medicaid and they would have paid for her alzheimers medicine. I hate people that dont take care of their parents.

I couldn't get the other link to the other story to work right, but that family must have been leaching off the elderly woman's social security checks and not taking care of her. There was no reason for it. The lady could have been placed into the hospital for the fractured leg and been evaluated. If she could not live with assisted living she could have been placed into a nursing home to be cared for. If she didn't start out with dementia, she could have even been living in one of those low cost rentals for the elderly based on income. I don't see how anyone living with no a/c, toileting, cleaning, health care for injuries, and probably nutritiotion and no one helped her could be considered a natural death. I don't imagine it feels so great to have newspaper stuck up the rear, so I don't imagine they were even feeding the poor woman since she obviously couldn't get up to walk and get her own.

txsvicki I know its awful what they did to her. I just don't understand how people can go on living their normal daily life knowing that grandma is in the other room with newspaper stuffed up her butt dying hungry covered in red ants etc etc etc....

I couldn't get the other link to the other story to work right, but that family must have been leaching off the elderly woman's social security checks and not taking care of her. There was no reason for it. The lady could have been placed into the hospital for the fractured leg and been evaluated. If she could not live with assisted living she could have been placed into a nursing home to be cared for. If she didn't start out with dementia, she could have even been living in one of those low cost rentals for the elderly based on income. I don't see how anyone living with no a/c, toileting, cleaning, health care for injuries, and probably nutritiotion and no one helped her could be considered a natural death. I don't imagine it feels so great to have newspaper stuck up the rear, so I don't imagine they were even feeding the poor woman since she obviously couldn't get up to walk and get her own.

This is just so awful to read! The sister didn't want them on the property? They were "squatters"? I think ALL of them should be charged with neglect.

This is sickening, lock them all up for murder. I hope LE finds out where the mother's social security check went; someone had to be cashing it. Obviously she was in no condition to do it herself.

This is murder, simple as, and frankly, the rest of the family are sick individuals. Where was her daughter - what the hell happened to family values and looking after those who are unable to care for themselves. This family is disgusting. I hope her son, daughter, son-in-law and his sister rot. What the bloody hell is wrong with these people?

Sherrill Lee Smith was convicted of elderly abuse and sentenced in January 2008 to 2 years probation. :furious:

Shouldn't he have been charged with sodomy or rape or something... After all, he penetrated his mother with a foreign object?! Or does it not count if the perpetrator says it wasn't for sexual gratification!

Court Case No.: F-07-022503
Date of birth: 11/02/1957

https://www2.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/mobile/CaseSearch.aspx

A horrible, undignified end for a brave woman:

The Smith family has lived in South Miami-Dade for decades. In 1988, Lillian Smith made the news when two robbers, one armed with a sawed-off shotgun, stormed their Florida City house.

''Lillian Smith then stepped in between the robber and her son and told the intruder to get out. Sherrill Smith shoved the armed robber against the wall, and the second robber grabbed Smith by his shorts, ripping them,'' The Miami Herald reported at the time. Told there was no money, the robbers fled.

http://s2.excoboard.com/Courthouse_Steps_Mavens/151763/1654406

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back