NY - Shyanne Somers, 12, murdered in Broome County, 8 July 2007

White Rain

Reaction score
OTSELIC, N.Y. — A New Jersey man ran over and killed his 12-year-old babysitter while turning his truck around on an upstate New York road, according to police.
George Ford Jr., 42, of Piscataway, N.J., was charged Sunday with first-degree felony reckless endangerment after the death of Shyanne A. Somers of South Otselic, about 45 miles north of Binghamton, according to the Chenago County sheriff's office.
Ford was taking Somers to her home from his seasonal residence in South Otselic at about 11:30 p.m. Saturday when he got out of his truck to check on his horses. Somers also got out. While turning his truck around, in what investigators called a reckless manner, Ford's truck struck Somers, according to Sheriff Thomas J. Loughren.
Ford did not transport Somers to the hospital until 5 a.m. Sunday, according to police.
Ford was being held in the county jail without bail.
Details of the incident are still under investigation by sheriff's deputies and state police.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288702,00.html

I wonder why he didnt take the poor girl to hospital?....guess we,ll have to wait to hear the rest of the story to find out.

WHAT???? He waited almost 6 hours to take her to the hospital??? He was supposedly taking her home when the incident occurred. Something is hinky!!!

Something is definitely hinky here.

I agree, something's rotten here. I hope they did a rape kit on her. :( :sick:

I can't imagine them not doing a rape exam on poor Shyanne. I wonder though if LE doesn't suspect that he was legally drunk which caused him to make the fatal mistake and then he thought he should wait until he might pass a tox screen.

Lion

Thats what Im thinking Kimba......I have a feeling he was waiting to sober up.

This girl is only 12 yrs old! Wouldn't her parents be calling Ford questioning where she was? I guess I'd like to hear more about this.

This is just weird. There's got to be more to this story.

I found this article:

Shyanne was driven by Ford to the hospital at 5 a.m. and was pronounced dead. An autopsy Sunday revealed the cause of death to be from severe head trauma and massive internal injuries, the release said.

James Somers, the father of Shyanne Somers, said Sunday night his family would not comment on his daughter’s death.

When asked if Shyanne was brought to the hospital dead, a switchboard operator at Chenango Memorial Hospital said he was instructed by hospital President Drake Lamen to inform the media the hospital was cooperating fully with the investigation and hospital officials would have no comment on the case.

"We handed the case over to the police immediately," said the operator, who did not give his name.
Ford was arraigned Sunday in Plymouth Town Court before Justice Gladys Branagan, and the case is scheduled for a felony hearing Tuesday in Otselic Town Court.

http://www.thedailystar.com/news/stories/2007/07/09/jpgirlkilled0701.html

and he waited 5 hrs????

Here's some interesting comments from the locals.

http://www.evesun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=932&sid=f834636e73e67c22012f9fb3d6d55495

Quote:Ford and his wife, Cindy, were at a nearby graduation party and had asked Somers if she would baby-sit their young child for the rest of the night, Loughren said. Somers went to the Fords’ seasonal residence, but when Ford’s wife changed her mind about returning to the party, Ford left to take Somers home, he added.

So her husband left their home to bring the little girl home, he was gone almost 6 hours to travel 1 mile. I wonder if he had any contact with her during those 6 hours.

There is something not right here.

First off who leaves a 12 YO to babysit?

I was babysitting when I was 12. Of course, that was way back in the day.

Something I keep thinking about... How does one turn a car around in a reckless manner? I'm still having a hard time picturing how this happened.

Well, if there were skid marks or other marks in the dirt to show care wasn't taken that may be part of it. Another thing is, he might have admitted to not looking before just wildly swinging around. I wonder, did she say something like "I'm telling" and he got angry and scared and was going to take off like a bat outta heck, hit her, realized he was drunk, so waited to sober up? I think he went out to where his horses were, not just to check on his horses, but to rape her as well. :furious: ETA: He might have even used that as bait, "Let's go look at the horses before you go home!"

Yeah that's about an unclear article.... What happened?

Whoa. GPS installed by suspicious wife. This man sounds like a creep!

i see 2 possible set of events. he spent a few hours raping her then killed her to cover it up or he hit her with the truck then waited with her for hours (because he was drunk) while she slowly died behind that house before he went to the hospital.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onaquest
Back