State Senator Runs Over Granddaughter, Killing Her

This is a common tragic problem, especially with large cars. The visibility in an SUV is something crazy, like 20 feet behind your car. There have been plenty of complaints about this and I believe there are now cameras you can install in your car to view the immediate back of your car.
The rear visibility is a scary when you look into it.

This is a particular problem with SUV's.

It's a terrible tragedy whenever it happens.

I just don't see how you can go on living life knowing you've taken the life of a child, especially your own grandchild. I saw a woman on Oprah once who had done this too and she was just a wreck. She couldn't let it go. It breaks my heart. I feel as bad for the driver as I do for the child victims.

This actually happened in my family years ago, when I was a kid myself. My cousin's husband backed over their 2-year-old daughter. It was absolutely horrible. This couple had one other older daughter at the time and went on to have like 8 more children...I've always felt that they were making sure they had plenty of kids, trying to assuage the pain Christie's loss caused them. I'm not sure they ever did but their surviving children have all turned out wonderfully.

Prayers for this family. Just awful.

My car has a "sensor" that buzzes when you get too close to something behind you. I've heard that these may become a requirement for car manufacturers to include in the making of cars.

I also saw the Oprah show with that poor, dear woman. She had run over a child, I think was her grandson, and just couldn't forgive herself. The parents of her grandson had forgiven her, but she was unable to move on. They had brought on a guest that tried to help her.

Costco has back-up cameras for $80!!!

Something similar happened in my husband's family too. His uncle ran over his own little boy. It ruined him for life.

This is so horrible; and happens every year. SUVs you can't see behind very well; it pays to get those cameras, like they have in th Lexus.

I always check pretty carefully; as my husband had a patient who ran over his little girl. They were devastated, and called him for counsel. The wife would try to get up, then she would faint and have to go back to bed.

Luckily they did have another daughter later, but a child cannot be replaced.
Toddlers do "run out" easily, or a child may be out playing.

If you have young children, check and double check before you drive in or out.

Oh, how horrid! I would never get it over it myself. I cannot imagine the guilt and the pain.

We have a rule. Before anyone leaves...we check to make sure the kids are either in the house or on the porch with an adult holding their hands. It only takes a second to know where they are and that they are safe. We are used to it. Just like having the grands put their hands on their heads before we shut a car door to avoid little fingers being smashed...the kids do it without a fuss because they have always done it this way.

This is actually called the "bye bye syndrome" and it is always a heart breaker.

I just don't see how you can go on living life knowing you've taken the life of a child, especially your own grandchild. I saw a woman on Oprah once who had done this too and she was just a wreck. She couldn't let it go. .
--I agree

How very very sad.......thoughts and prayers to the family and a special prayer for the granddad:(

MagicRose, I was just going to post what you did. Thank you. (goosebumps)

My heart is just breaking for their family.

Being a senator, maybe something will be mandated in the future about this problem that doesn't have to happen.

This is one of my 'things' that I am paranoid about. I don't even drive an SUV I have a chevy malibu. Even in my car it is hard to see a small child standing behind me, and almost impossible if they are sitting on a big wheel or other low ride on toy.

Just the other day leaving my friends home, the neighbor kids were in their power wheels jeep right behind my car when I was getting ready to leave. I said to them "please move over there so that I will know where you are when I back up." Well the little girl who is 6 kept moving up about an inch at a time. I kept telling her little bit more sweety until I was comfortable about how far away from my car they were. Their father, instead of telling them to move, was LAUGHING AT ME! Teasing me and calling me paranoid.

I sorry you twit I would not be able to live with myself if I were to hurt or kill your babies. Would you be laughing at me then? Somehow I don't think so.

I personally think that back-up sensors should be made standard equipment on all SUV's, Pick-up Trucks, and mini vans. For a few more bucks the lives of small children would be a bit safer.

For those, like me, that the link in post #1 doesn't work for...

http://www.charlotte.com/nation/story/196256.html

From link above====SNIPPET

Kids and Cars, a child safety advocacy group in Leawood, Kan., said about 50 children are backed over in a driveway or parking lot every week in the United States and at least two die.
The typical child is 12 months to 23 months old, and 70 percent of the drivers are a family member of the child, said Janette Fennell, founder and president of the group.
Kids and Cars is promoting a bill in Congress that would require automakers to make it easier for drivers to see what is behind them, either with better mirrors, bigger back windows, cameras or sensors that automatically stop the vehicle.

:eek: :eek: 50 children a week in USA alone!!!! And two die each week, circa 100 per year!!

This is just tragic. Something must change. IMO

Prayers to the Senator and his family.

This is one of my 'things' that I am paranoid about. I don't even drive an SUV I have a chevy malibu. Even in my car it is hard to see a small child standing behind me, and almost impossible if they are sitting on a big wheel or other low ride on toy.

Just the other day leaving my friends home, the neighbor kids were in their power wheels jeep right behind my car when I was getting ready to leave. I said to them "please move over there so that I will know where you are when I back up." Well the little girl who is 6 kept moving up about an inch at a time. I kept telling her little bit more sweety until I was comfortable about how far away from my car they were. Their father, instead of telling them to move, was LAUGHING AT ME! Teasing me and calling me paranoid.

I sorry you twit I would not be able to live with myself if I were to hurt or kill your babies. Would you be laughing at me then? Somehow I don't think so.

I personally think that back-up sensors should be made standard equipment on all SUV's, Pick-up Trucks, and mini vans. For a few more bucks the lives of small children would be a bit safer.

I have sensors on two SUVs plus a camera on one of them. Nothing out now can stop the dog/cat/todddler from darting from behind the rear quarterpanel, out of range of the sensors/camera, to under the wheel. This will come, but is not here yet.

Crypto6

It should be standard in ALL cars, not just big ones. The difference in visibility between an SUV and a sedan is only a couple feet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbtgurlz
Back