NV - Parents Neglect Starved Babies to Feed Video Game Addiction

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
Parents Neglect Starved Babies to Feed Video Game Addiction

RENO, Nev. — A couple authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect.

The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

Michael Straw, 25, and Iana Straw, 23, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts each of child neglect. Each faces a maximum 12-year prison sentence.

Viloria said the Reno couple were too distracted by online video games, mainly the fantasy role-playing "Dungeons & Dragons" series, to give their children proper care.

"They had food; they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

~much more at link~

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289331,00.html

Too busy making babies as well.
:banghead:

IMO

These two don't deserve to have children.

PATHETIC!!! Stuff like this just angers me to no end. Personaly, I know someone that isn't neglecting their kids in the way of food and shelter (state is picking it up for her, her kids and the new one on the way), but they do put gaming and online life first. It disgusts me to no end... you would think they would shut the pc down, stop popping out babies by every other man, pay more attention to the kids, and get to trying to get off of state assistance.

Sounds to me like a defense Atty might try to use their "addiction" for some type of defense which is ridiculous. Playing games online or otherwise doesn't account for the severe condition the babies were found in.

This couple is lazy, horribly neglectful, and had come into a bunch of money via an inheritence. They simply did not care what condition their kids were in. The babies had to be miserable and crying much of the time. They obviously didn't respond to those pleas for help from them.

Thank Goodness, the kids are out of there and won't be going back.

That's just so awful. What is WRONG with people?

I'm glad the children are doing well, I hope they have suffered no permanent damage.

:behindbar "Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration."

:behindbar "Police said hospital staff had to shave the head of the girl because her hair was matted with cat urine. The 10-pound girl also had a mouth infection, dry skin and severe dehydration."

wonder if the idiots feed the cat?

A quote from the Article...

"As we become more technologically advanced, there's more distractions," Killen said. "It's easy for someone to get addicted to something and neglect their children. Whether it's video games or meth, it's a serious issue, and (we) need to become more aware of it."

ITs EASY????? WTF???

What a joke! Talk about not knowing someone from myspace! Did you read the whole thing on what a great parent should be doing for their kids and how much she loves her kids?! Wow!

It's really a weird story, dont' get me wrong, it's disturbing, but I just looked at her myspace and either something happened from when she made that page or she's just really whacked. That whole page is how much she loves her kids and even mentions how she likes to cook. Makes no real sense unless something really weird happened recently. I think we need more of the details here. But still what they did was awful.

It's really a weird story, dont' get me wrong, it's disturbing, but I just looked at her myspace and either something happened from when she made that page or she's just really whacked. That whole page is how much she loves her kids and even mentions how she likes to cook. Makes no real sense unless something really weird happened recently. I think we need more of the details here. But still what they did was awful.

I vote for really whacked.... :silenced: :hand:

She though her BABIES were well taken care of -- an 11 mo. with hair matted from cat urine and weighing TEN POUNDS -- that's the size of a two month old (if not younger)! A nearly two year old with that kind of infection?!! And she has the nerve to try to tell people that kids are being harmed by rules and care?

I'll leave my opinion of what SHOULD happen to them quiet... :furious:

myspace pages are usually full of BS designed to impress others, i have found, and shouldnt be taken as any sort of truth.

are we reading the same myspace?
I can be a goofy person at times. I do love to cook. and I am good at it too. I like having a few friends, But I don't over do it. Too many friends means too much work. **** that. My work is cut out already. Between playing the playstation or the xbox, Computer Games, watching movies, playing on the net, taking care of the kids, and Trying to keep up on the house, inwhich never works. I'm too damn lazy. I'm over it.

I also have cats. Meow, Tabby, Shadow, and Go-T, we call him Goat for short haha. Meow is going to be going in for the snip snip so he can't get Tabby preggo anymore. I just recently put up some new pics of the cats, and a few other pics. Check them out!

from this i got... Between playing the playstation or the xbox, Computer Games, watching movies, playing on the net, taking care of the kids, and Trying to keep up on the house,

and .... I also have cats. Meow, Tabby, Shadow, and Go-T, we call him Goat for short haha. Meow is going to be going in for the snip snip so he can't get Tabby preggo anymore. I just recently put up some new pics of the cats, and a few other pics. Check them out!

are we reading the same myspace?

from this i got... Between playing the playstation or the xbox, Computer Games, watching movies, playing on the net, taking care of the kids, and Trying to keep up on the house,

and .... I also have cats. Meow, Tabby, Shadow, and Go-T, we call him Goat for short haha. Meow is going to be going in for the snip snip so he can't get Tabby preggo anymore. I just recently put up some new pics of the cats, and a few other pics. Check them out!

Notice the children were mentioned last!!
She went into far more detail about her cats..

What a *advertiser censored*!

Yeah, I read much more about them and the apartment was full of garbage bags and they had made a path to navigate through. The cabinets had food and formula but they just did not feed the kids. Whatever she thought she was doing by putting all that stuff on her myspace - she should have spent the time it took her to make that page and her webstore to feed her kids. I hope those kids go to someone who takes care of them. What I don't understand is why it took them 2 days to take the kids away from when the police responded to the call from neighbors. Instead they apparently sent them to a motel so someone could clean their apartment and they sent the kids with them????

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070714/NEWS/707140323/1004
Their daughter, who weighed six pounds at birth, weighed 10 pounds, could not lift her head or sit up because she had no muscle development when social workers found her.
Her hair was matted with cat urine and she had an infection in her mouth, dry skin and was so dehydrated at that point she could not cry or urinate.
Her brother also was severely starved. His lack of muscle development caused him difficulty in walking.
Neither child had received immunizations, and the baby had not received any medical care since her birth, police said.
According to a police report, when the officer responded to the neighbor's complaint, the inside of the Straw's apartment was filled with trash bags of garbage, and pathways were made to navigate around the home. It smelled like garbage, and there were several cats inside.
The children were dressed only in diapers. Iana Straw said her baby cried so much because she was premature. Dirty dishes and food were found in the kitchen. The refrigerator and cupboards contained food and formula for the children.
"They had food, they just chose not to give it to their kids because they were too busy playing video games," Viloria said.
Social workers told the Straws they needed to leave the home so it could be cleaned. They stayed at a motel. When social workers checked on the couple two days after the officer's visit, they immediately removed the children and took them to the hospital.
When questioned at the hospital, the couple claimed the children ate a lot, so much that Viloria said it would have been impossible for children in their condition to have consumed that much food or formula.
=============
more @ link.

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070714/NEWS/707140323/1004
Their daughter, who weighed six pounds at birth, weighed 10 pounds, could not lift her head or sit up because she had no muscle development when social workers found her.
Her hair was matted with cat urine and she had an infection in her mouth, dry skin and was so dehydrated at that point she could not cry or urinate.
Her brother also was severely starved. His lack of muscle development caused him difficulty in walking.
Neither child had received immunizations, and the baby had not received any medical care since her birth, police said.

How can you ignore symptoms like that in a child?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back