A really Sh!tty Day Saves a Life/ Man's Life Saved By Sewage

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
Renita Crawford has details of an unusual way of extinguishing a fire. Rescue veterans say they've never heard of it until now.
In most cases, fires are put out with water or foam...but, WJBF News Channel 6's Renita Crawford tells us about some heroes who took a different approach in a last-ditch effort to save two lives in Statesboro.
It was a violent, fiery crash, and minutes after it happened, people immediately stopped to see how they could help the men trapped inside.
James Burdett, John Hagan Plumbing & electrical: "It was horrible. It was horrible."
It was too late for the driver.
It was too late for the driver. Jerry Littleton was killed when his pickup caught fire after overturning and hitting a tree. The passenger, his cousin, 18-year-old Mitchell Hendrix, was still alive, but fire was racing through the vehicle.
James Burdette, and two other workers, were heading in for the day after making a service call. The septic company workers saw the wreck and turned around to help.
Burdett: "We heard the man in there screaming, so we waited for the police to get there, and police showed up. We asked permission to put the fire out, with the pump truck, and they said 'Go ahead, and do that' so we backed the pump truck over there, and put the fire out."
As unconventional as it was, the men doused the fire with 1500 gallons of raw sewage for about ten minutes. It's illegal to release sewage on the ground, but the men say there was no other way to save him.
Firefighters had not yet arrived on the scene.
Jody Shuman, Bulloch County EMS: "I ain't never heard of nothing like this, before, but you got to do what you got to do."
Hendrix was pulled from the wreckage, and airlifted to a Savannah hospital. Currently, he is in critical, but stable, condition at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta.
First responder Jody Shuman was there. He says the men were faced with a tough choice, but it ultimately saved a life.
Shuman: "When I pulled up, I could tell how it was extinguished, for that reason. We've got one patient still alive, had they not done that, we would have had a recovery instead of a rescue."
Shuman says the entire ordeal was trying.
Shuman: "The wreck itself was bad; the fire being extinguished with a septic truck, and after everything was over with, and persons on the scene cleaning up the wreck itself. Come to find out we were working on top of a 2 foot timber rattlesnake that was still alive."
Despite the odds, the men say if faced with the same situation, they would do it over again.
Hendrix is still in the Burn Center this morning, and will likely be there for several more weeks. The raw sewage poses a major infection risk to Hendrix, due to his burns. The rescuers on scene were checked out at the hospital for similar reasons.

<!-- sphereit end -->

http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/news_index.apx.-content-articles-JBF-2007-07-09-0007.html

pics & video at link

That sounds like a scene from a bad movie. My dh used to drive a tow truck. I can imagine what he would say about having a pick up the car from the wreck scene covered in sewage. Ick! I am glad they saved someone's life though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back