Identified! OR - Agate Beach - White Male, 42-50, July 2007 - William Switzer, 33

Auggie21

Reaction score
NEWPORT -- Oregon State Police detectives are asking the public's help in identifying a man whose body was found early Wednesday near Little Creek Cove by a jogger running along the Agate Beach Wayside.
The man carried no identification. The manner and cause of death remains under investigation. His death however, is described as suspicious.
Police released the following description.
Age about 42 to 50.
Height 5 feet 8 to 5 feet 10
Weight about 250 to 280 pounds
Shoulder length graying dark brown hair
Mustache with about one to two weeks growth of facial hair
A tattoo on left shoulder of crest design with word "Caomanac"
Dark colored T-shirt, gray sweat pants and black Converse "Chuck Taylor" high top tennis shoes
Anyone with information is asked to call Oregon State Police Northern Command Center dispatch at 1-800-452-7888

large_tattoo.jpg

. . .Mustache with about one to two weeks growth of facial hair
A tattoo on left shoulder of crest design with word "Caomanac"
Dark colored T-shirt, gray sweat pants and black Converse "Chuck Taylor" high top tennis shoes
Anyone with information is asked to call Oregon State Police Northern Command Center dispatch at 1-800-452-7888

large_tattoo.jpg
I found this old webpage of meeting minutes with the name mentioned. I had to use the google cached page to see it though as the page has since been deleted or moved.

Steinsee, Canton of (Dreiburgen)
Earnán Caomhánach (new name)
Name:
Earnán is found on [O Corrain and Maguire, 1981, p. 89] under the header Ernan.
Caomhánach is found in [Woulfe, 1967] on p. 234 under the header CAOMANAC.
NAME APPROVED AND SENT TO LAUREL
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:jV5pjG0aciEJ:herald.sca-caid.org/minutes/1996/min9609.html+%22Caomanac%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

Original page address was
[URL="http://www.sca-caid.org/herald/minutes/1996/min9609.html]
http://www.sca-caid.org/herald/minutes/1996/min9609.html[/URL]

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?A=11&Q=310764

Robert Cavanaugh missing from Connecticut.

spacer.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva] 2006[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Geneva]
csp_patch.jpg
STATE OF CONNECTICUT
Department of Public Safety
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, Connecticut 06457 Contact:
860-685-8230
pio.dps@po.state.ct.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
03/07/06 ------UPDATE-----
MISSING PERSON INVESTIGATION CONTINUES
The Connecticut State Police Troop-C has been investigating the disappearance of ROBERT CAVANAUGH since he was reported missing by family members on 12/24/04. CAVANAUGH was last seen in Mansfield and family members reported that he might be in need of medical attention. State Troopers assigned to this investigation have worked many hours contacting family, friends, and neighbors to try to determine the last contact that Cavanaugh had with anyone.
All surrounding police agencies were advised of the physical description of CAVANAUGH and his vehicle.
The missing person is identified as:
CAVANAUGH, Robert DOB: 11/3/53
Foster Drive
Mansfield, Ct.
CAVANAUGH is a white male 5’10” bald shaved head, blue eyes, and possibly has a goatee.

[/FONT]

Jaded, its your find, your call, not mine in any way, unless you need a caller. Wow, I was shocked how fast this one worked out, excellent work! They should have fingerprint ID immediately on this one.

Agreed - it's Jaded's call.

I've been trying to find info on Robert Cavanaugh, but there's only a few news stories from shortly after he went missing. He definitely fits the age and height. But no info on his family or why he might be missing.

Since he had the Gaelic version on his tattoo, the name could have been spelled many other ways too. I will check these spellings...

http://home.comcast.net/~subwaymark/kavname.htm
3. How do you spell KAVANAGH?
This is a heated debate particularly in the US. Kavanagh can be spelled in the following ways: Kavanagh, Cavanaugh, Cavanagh, Kavanaugh, Cavenaugh, among many other variations. According to 1890 birth records in Ireland the predominate spelling in Ireland out of 274 Kavanagh births, 230 were spelt: K A V A N A G H. The common misconception is that Kavanagh must start with a C and come from the county Cavan. The Kavanagh's do not originate from there. Since Kavanagh is a relatively "new" name, the lack of a Gaelic "K" is not applicable.

I ran both spellings through Doe and NAMPN already, and nothing that I found other than the one. (Being Irish, I am also checking in their missing persons database)

I called, too and the gentleman who answered the phone was kind of terse (for lack of a nicer term to use for his demeanor). He says they are aware that the tattoo means Cavanaugh and websites <-- whatever that means, and that there is a gentleman in CT who is missing with the last name Cavanaugh.

Thank you kind sir, if you are reading - you behaved like a jerk.

Edited to add it was the man who answered the Northern dispatch number in Oregon.

Great work, Everyone!!! You guys move FAST!

Might not be him, but they should not have treated you like that, Jaded! OMG! That person should be ASHAMED! You are trying to help them and they come across with that tone? If they WERE aware of that information...they should have put the info out with the photo of the man they are trying to ID.

...they should have put the info out with the photo of the man they are trying to ID.

No kidding! I mean that wasted AT LEAST 15 minutes of my workday while I was researching that... :rolleyes:

But really, I don't get why they wouldn't put that in the release to the public?? That's a HUGE lead. Cavanaugh is a common name, but not as common as Jones or Smith - there can't be THAT many people missing who have that last name.

I called, too and the gentleman who answered the phone was kind of terse (for lack of a nicer term to use for his demeanor). He says they are aware that the tattoo means Cavanaugh and websites <-- whatever that means, and that there is a gentleman in CT who is missing with the last name Cavanaugh.

Thank you kind sir, if you are reading - you behaved like a jerk.

Edited to add it was the man who answered the Northern dispatch number in Oregon.

If that jerk doesn't want to take calls, which are part of his job, then he should get another one. :furious: He's probably on his last chance as is and was reassigned to desk duty. That's just infurriating.

You all did a good job and should be applauded.

I agree 110% with Carpe there was excellent sleuthing and quick. You guys never cease to amaze me. Maybe someone needs to remind Captain Polite that the authorities did ask for the public's help with the ID. Maybe citizen's would be less apprehensive about stepping up to help if they knew they were more appreciated. Great job today guys and if I ever turn up missing I hope my families first stop is Websleuths :)

ALthough one person in their dept lacked 'demeanor' or common courtesy, hopefully this does not reflect on the entire dept. ALso, if you need to talk with them again, simply remind the person on the other end of the line, that if their family was looking for them, would they want you to treat them the same way? Or perhaps, they would prefer that no one cared, or searched for them at all?
How rediculous to ask for the "the public's help" and be rude to their public... arent' they getting paid from the 'public'? Duh...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back