poor pitbull attacked by porcupine

oh my gosh!!! the poor dog yes even if its a pitbull poor thing has to be in tremendous pain!!

Porcupines never, ever attack. They just don't. This "poor dog" attacked a porcupine and got a head full of quills. Sad thing is, they never learn. He'll do it again given half a chance.

It's not a pitbull... she's a bull terrier... remember Spuds the little stocky beer dog? it's one of those:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_pit_bull_vs_porcupine.htm

And yep, porcupines don't attack... dogs mostly end up with the quills from startling and provoking them. Porcupines will slap at the dog in a defensive manner if it feels threatened, and in turn loosening it's quills. The dog usually takes that as a sign of aggression, so they try to nip at the porcupine, to only end up with a face full of quills. But you have to feel sorry for the poor pup... that looks mighty painful.

Ahhh..I can't even stand to look at that..drives me nuts!!! I just want to rip them all out ewwww....:eek:

We had a cat--siamese--who attacked a porcupine when it got too close to her kittens. While she had some quills in her face, it was nothing like that! I'm guessing the dog repeatedly went after the animal.
Puff survived. The vet couldn't do anything with her; my mom ended up removing all of the quills with pliers and disinfecting repeatedly for weeks. Puff allowed that--she hated vets with a passion. We couldn't get one to treat her for anything! We always took her to rabies clinics for her shots, so they wouldn't "know who she was." :)

Can't help but notice that, now that it's safely indoors, it's on a lead.... begging the question; where was that owner and lead when the incident occurred? It must've taken a good five minutes to get that many quills in it. Also, I could just about understand the dog's persistence if the quills were confined to its shoulders and jowls - relatively thick skin - but its NOSE?!!! However daft..... I would expect it to back off after taking a few to the nose and certainly the eyes. With that in mind.... I sincerely hope it wasn't being encouraged.

Sympathy notwithstanding...... it does look funny. Sorry........ but it does.

While porcupines aren't usually agressive, they have been known to do what a lot of conservationists call "attacking" back. They are one of the few rodents that aren't percieved as a threat to anything but the areas they live in.

Porcupines have been known to present a bristling back to anything they percieve as a threat. They will attack (actually turn their back to their opponent whenever possible and strikes back and forth with their tail) to protect their young and they will attack if they get rabies, are sick, during mating season males will fight with teath and quills, females are very territorial, or when frightened. A dog simply sniffing to close can inadvertently be hit with quills when the porcupine flips it's tail into their face.

The quills are easily dislodged and it's entirely possible that the pup was mearly curious and just go to close. Kind of like the dog in Disney's Homeward Bound movie.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/mar/papr/porcupine.html

I've felt sorry for many a dog who got to close to a porcupine and got a lot of quills from the tail and back....it can happen very quickly. Thankfully the quills have a sort of antibiotic quality that they don't cause infection...

OH MY GOD!!!!

That poor thing!!

While porcupines aren't usually agressive, they have been known to do what a lot of conservationists call "attacking" back. They are one of the few rodents that aren't percieved as a threat to anything but the areas they live in.

Porcupines have been known to present a bristling back to anything they percieve as a threat. They will attack (actually turn their back to their opponent whenever possible and strikes back and forth with their tail) to protect their young and they will attack if they get rabies, are sick, during mating season males will fight with teath and quills, females are very territorial, or when frightened. A dog simply sniffing to close can inadvertently be hit with quills when the porcupine flips it's tail into their face.

The quills are easily dislodged and it's entirely possible that the pup was mearly curious and just go to close. Kind of like the dog in Disney's Homeward Bound movie.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/mar/papr/porcupine.html

I've felt sorry for many a dog who got to close to a porcupine and got a lot of quills from the tail and back....it can happen very quickly. Thankfully the quills have a sort of antibiotic quality that they don't cause infection...

I don't call it "attacking back". They are totally defensive creatures. Rabid animals are another matter. If they didn't have the quills, they would be lunch for every predator. They don't run away from anything. They will just sit there while a dog walks up and sniffs. It ain't the porky's fault what happens next!!!

The quills do come out easily, but they are not "thrown" as is rumored. They are really quite cute, so long as you keep your distance. Dogs just can't do that.

O.K. clicked on the picture, said aloud "oh dear God" and quickly closed it after 2 seconds. Can't bear to look at it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back