Ohio man tells of Hawaii shark attack

Dark Knight

Reaction score
B]Ohio man tells of Hawaii shark attack[/B]

HONOLULU (AP) — All the way back to shore after an eight-foot tiger shark chomped into his left leg, Harvey Miller thought he might die.

"I just remember saying, 'Oh God, not like this, no way,"' Miller said Friday, a day after the gray animal attacked him off Oahu's Bellows Beach.
The animal came after the a 36-year-old attorney from Toledo, Ohio, in clear blue waters in an area not known for shark attacks. The last such incident in that area dates back almost 50 years, the state's Shark Task Force said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-07-21-shark-attack_N.htm?csp=34

Anyone else see the irony of a shark biting an attorney? :crazy:

Anyone else see the irony of a shark biting an attorney? :crazy:[/COLOR][/SIZE] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

DK, it's just professional courtesy. :)

That said, one of my best friends is a very honest, Christian attorney.

I lived in Hawaii for several years and also saw big sharks almost beach themselves trying to get to the schools of fish who would head to shore and jump out of the water trying to avoid them.

I learned that when you were at the beach and saw large school of fish close to shore, jumping out of the water, you needed to get out of the water quickly as a shark was sure to follow.

I maintain that humans usually get bitten because they are caught in the crossfire. Of course, that makes it no less traumatic or dangerous.

I also saw a lot of sharks in the Pensacola, Florida, waters. They are everywhere!! :eek:

There are also stingray, which can quite a bit of damage to a human, that come close to shore at Florida beaches. I can remember that a now ex-boyfriend stepped on one close to shore. He had lasting nerve damage to his foot.

It's sad that these ocean creatures don't seem to know how to play nice with humans who invade their space... :cool:

I lived in Hawaii for several years and also saw big sharks almost beach themselves trying to get to the schools of fish who would head to shore and jump out of the water trying to avoid them.

I learned that when you were at the beach and saw large school of fish close to shore, jumping out of the water, you needed to get out of the water quickly as a shark was sure to follow.

I maintain that humans usually get bitten because they are caught in the crossfire. Of course, that makes it no less traumatic or dangerous.

I also saw a lot of sharks in the Pensacola, Florida, waters. They are everywhere!! :eek:

There are also stingray, which can quite a bit of damage to a human, that come close to shore at Florida beaches. I can remember that a now ex-boyfriend stepped on one close to shore. He had lasting nerve damage to his foot.

It's sad that these ocean creatures don't seem to know how to play nice with humans who invade their space... :cool:

A stingray is what killed Steve Irwin. Fatalities are rare, but the poison in their sting certainly can do nerve damage like that. Plus it's like a dagger!

Yikes, Nan!

We live close enough to Pensacola and the Gulf Coast that it is a popular vacation spot with us and everyone around here. I won't and won't allow my kids into the ocean deeper than their knees and never at dusk. We use the pool for swimming. When I think of how I used to get out chest/neck deep on a float when I was a kid...it gives me chills.

Ah, the irony! I think I may be the only one left on the planet who respects attorneys and sees it as one of the highest career callings!

Yikes, Nan!

We live close enough to Pensacola and the Gulf Coast that it is a popular vacation spot with us and everyone around here. I won't and won't allow my kids into the ocean deeper than their knees and never at dusk. We use the pool for swimming. When I think of how I used to get out chest/neck deep on a float when I was a kid...it gives me chills.
Lots of sharks around the Pensacola Beach pier. We used to go way out in the ocean on our rafts to ride the waves. Someone was watching out over me all of my life. I have done some really stupid and really dangerous things! It scares me to go out in the ocean now-a-days even though there are some really pretty beaches! :)

DK, it's just professional courtesy. :)

That said, one of my best friends is a very honest, Christian attorney.

LOL...That's funny about the professional courtesy. My son is dating and attorney and I have really have to watch what I say around her. But she's a sweet gal...and I know I shouldn't let a few bad apples (some of the attorneys) spoil the whole bunch.

As for the shark bite...yikes...how frightening. I love to snorkel, but hubby has never really been fond of it. And seeing these things, just cements his decision. This past winter we went on a cruise and I could not talk him into snorkeling even one time. However, after seeing this, it may have been a good thing that I didn't get in the water...I probably look like a big ole' tasty seal to the sea critters.

Lots of sharks around the Pensacola Beach pier. We used to go way out in the ocean on our rafts to ride the waves. Someone was watching out over me all of my life. I have done some really stupid and really dangerous things! It scares me to go out in the ocean now-a-days even though there are some really pretty beaches! :)

When my husband and I were on our honeymoon in Orange Beach, AL (I know you will know where that is, Nan), we walked out on a pier and saw a huge, probably 8-foot-long hammerhead floating just below the surface...it was about 50 yards from a group of swimmers and people on floats...we started yelling and pointing and a lot got out but not all. Some looked at us like we were nuts. I would have been FREAKING if I'd been in that water and someone told me there was a shark that close by, especially something like a hammerhead! I'll never forget looking down at that thing and the shape of its head...it was creepy.

When my husband and I were on our honeymoon in Orange Beach, AL (I know you will know where that is, Nan), we walked out on a pier and saw a huge, probably 8-foot-long hammerhead floating just below the surface...it was about 50 yards from a group of swimmers and people on floats...we started yelling and pointing and a lot got out but not all. Some looked at us like we were nuts. I would have been FREAKING if I'd been in that water and someone told me there was a shark that close by, especially something like a hammerhead! I'll never forget looking down at that thing and the shape of its head...it was creepy.

When my sister and I were young teens, we were surf fishing on the beach at Edisto Island and she caught 3 baby hammerheads (1-2 feet each)....they are crazy looking creatures.

I'm always a bit disconcerted when I catch sharks in the same waters I swim in! :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back