GUILTY FL - Melissa Shook, 31, Lee County, 24 July 2007

Rle7

Reaction score
Melissa Shook has been missing for four days and there has been no sign of the mother of three. Her family has been desperately searching for her every day. Many of the clues in her disappearance are just bringing up more questions rather than answers.

Family and friends say their search may ultimately take them from San Carlos Park to Tampa.

"We haven't had any contact with her at all," said Amy Davies, Shook’s aunt.

Friends and family of Melissa Shook have been tearing through the wooded acres along the Lee and Hendry County line.

"We're just getting more emotional as we go along," said Davies.

She’s been missing for four days. There have been no leads, no communication and no clue as to where she may be.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=13748&z=3&p=

Missing mother's ex-husband speaks

Last updated on: 7/27/2007 11:34:33 PM by Ryan Hughes

LEE COUNTY: The search for a missing mother of three took a surprising twist. Melissa Shook's ex-husband spoke about her disappearance and then minutes later, detectives arrived at his front door.
Family and friends spent the day searching for Melissa Shook outside her ex-husband's house. But Friday night, two crime scene units were searching inside that Alva house.
Investigators spent hours looking all over Joe Shook's house in Alva - the last place Melissa Shook was seen.
http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=13750&z=3&p=

Interesting that she disappears right before the divorce was to be made final (July 26th).

I hope she is found soon for her children's sake.

the area where Melissa Shook is missing. The body (not yet identified) was found by a search team combing the area for the missing mom. Husband not considered a suspect at this time.

http://news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/NEWS01/70729006/1075

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs...0728&Kategori=NEWS0108&Lopenr=70727097&Ref=AR

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=13769&z=3&p=

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=13765&z=3&p=

So sad that this is happening again and again to moms trying to get out of bad relationships! :confused:

It will take a forensic examination to determine whether the severely decomposed remains that were found Saturday afternoon along the Lee and Hendry County lines are those of missing Melissa Shook.

Friends, family, volunteers, and law enforcement have spent countless hours in searching for the missing mother of three.

"The crime scene is currently located in a wooded patch near Wheeler Road where the eastern end of Lehigh Acres meets with Hendry County", said Tony Schall the Lee County Sheriff's Office spokesperson.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=13769&z=3&p=

Sounds like another husband who refused to let go. Now there will be three little kids without a mom and a dad. I wish there was a way to end these types of murders but I don't have a clue what it would take.

I give credit to the friends, family, and LE for getting right on this and not waiting around with LE saying that she probably ran away to start a new life!
I'm impressed that LE took her disappearance seriously.

I wonder why she was at her husbands home?

Joseph Shook could not be reached by phone Monday morning. But in paperwork his wife filed on January 23, she accused him of slapping her, pulling her hair and hitting her with a belt, and deleting a photo she took of her injuries.

The husband "always told me I was stupid told the kids mommy was stupid I lied" and stole, Melissa Shook wrote. Then last fall, she said, her husband "started hitting kids w/ a belt for any and everything they did wrong."

In barely four years, the marriage was falling apart. Melissa Shook wrote that her husband used marijuana and owned guns; in a response filed later, her husband said he owned no weapons or guns and none were stowed in their Fitch Avenue home.

The court in February ordered Joseph Shook to stay 500 feet away from Melissa for a year. She was given custody of their three children -- two boys, 1 and 3, and a 2-year-old daughter -- while her husband was
allowed twice-monthly supervised visits.

The next month, records show, Melissa Shook filed for divorce. She asked to be the primary caregiver for the children. She asked to return to her maiden name, Melissa Jill Esckilsen.

Her husband came back with a demand for $1,000 a month in alimony, plus child support and custody of the kids.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007..._left_behind_troubled_marriage/?breaking_news

Just read that there have been text messages sent from her (supposedly) to the husband and others. This is the first time I have seen that information. If it was in the other articles posted I missed it.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070728/NEWS0108/70727097/1075

Hopefully this linked correctly.

I have a feeling we will be having the "cell phone ping" conversation very shortly. If foul play is involved, I bet someone used her phone to send messages pretending to be from her and the police will be able to show exactly when and where those were sent from.

Any news yet on whether the body has been identified or not?

The body was found near the husband's house. He probably had to get rid of her quickly because he had one of the kids with him. Her vehicle and car keys were still in his driveway. He is trying to make it sound like she did something to herself. Was depressed but refused to take her medication! Like he would know if she was taking it or not...if she had medication.

The husband says that they were planning to get back together. Friends say that she was so happy to be rid of him. Her boyfriend said that she was so happy and Melissa said that the boyfriend was the love of her life.

If they are identifying the body with dental records why haven't they said if it is her or not? I will be shocked if it isn't Melissa. Who else's body would be right by that husband's home while Melissa's car is in his driveway. I doubt anyone followed her to the husband's house with the idea of framing the husband!

Why are the kids with this man when in the restraining order he was only allowed supervised visitation because of his mistreatment of the children? I wonder if it was still active? If so, DHS needs to step in and take the kids from him. I also wonder why Melissa was dropping one of the kids off to him?

The body discovered in a wooded area along the Lee and Hendry County line on Sunday has been positively identified by the Medical Examiner’s Office as that of Melissa Shook of Estero.

Because of decomposition, identification was made through dental records, according to an update from Tony Schall, Lee County Sheriff’s Office spokesman.

The cause of death is not being released at this time as the investigations continues.

http://www.sun-herald.com/floridanews.cfm?id=233

Now those children have no mother and the father should fry. Why oh why do these guys continue to do this and think they can get away with this AND keep the kids??? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So sad for them and her family....:sick:

Because some of them do get away with it. We have several cases where it seems obvious the husband did it and they are still free.

Amazing how little life means to these "monsters"! And they still think they can have the custody of the kids and life goes on...how sad to hear about another woman who was "trying to get away from this abusive man", and her life just taken away brutally.

Something has to be done about the brutality in women these men have.
So much rage, where they finally "snap" and ruin everyone else's lives. These families need to find some sort of refuge or protection against these heartless "monsters".

They moved on this one very quickly, but for her it wasn't fast enough. Something should have been done long before he could have laid another hand on her. Bless her heart and those of her 3 babies. They are the ones who lost it all. <sigh>

There have been too many cases like his lately. I think LE departments across the country need to join forces and get the word out to women who are getting divorced, especially when it's close to being finalized. These moms should consider not going anywhere near their husbands without someone else present. There are probably those who will think this is a kneejerk reaction, but it's like an epidemic of dead women this summer.

There have been too many cases like his lately. I think LE departments across the country need to join forces and get the word out to women who are getting divorced, especially when it's close to being finalized. These moms should consider not going anywhere near their husbands without someone else present. There are probably those who will think this is a kneejerk reaction, but it's like an epidemic of dead women this summer.

I couldn't agree with you more. So many women end up murdered because they went to the abusive husband's home right before the divorce was final for one reason or another...usually to drop off a kid or pick one up. I guess they just don't think the husband will do anything with one of the kids there but it sure doesn't stop them. I wonder where the child was while his dad was murdering the mother? Maybe sent to the store to buy candy like Lisa Stebic's kids were! These guys don't think beyond murdering the wives because the wives are divorcing them and they have no right to do that unless he says so...so he kills her and most of them get caught. Stupid. They don't worry about going to prison or about leaving the kids orphans and they don't learn from another wife killer's mistakes.

I couldn't agree with you more. So many women end up murdered because they went to the abusive husband's home right before the divorce was final for one reason or another...usually to drop off a kid or pick one up. I guess they just don't think the husband will do anything with one of the kids there but it sure doesn't stop them. I wonder where the child was while his dad was murdering the mother? Maybe sent to the store to buy candy like Lisa Stebic's kids were! These guys don't think beyond murdering the wives because the wives are divorcing them and they have no right to do that unless he says so...so he kills her and most of them get caught. Stupid. They don't worry about going to prison or about leaving the kids orphans and they don't learn from another wife killer's mistakes.

More information needs to go out to these women who have suffered, mental, emotional, physical abuse from their soon to be ex-husbands. The women need to be put in a transition home with trusted friends, family or a shelter. Never go alone to the ex, always bring witnesses. Why aren't the lawyers, who get quite a high fee, helping to protect these women?

Kelli Cutts is getting a divorce now! Probably because she knows Bobby Cutts is safely behind bars and can't harm her or her child !!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back