SC SC: Walter Rice dob 1920, found 1/27/91 McCormick

lymom3

Reaction score
I didn't see any old thread on this here. I found it intriguing though. Any thoughts?

http://www.indexjournal.com/news/20070730b_n.html

McCORMICK — On the desk of McCormick Police Chief L.R. Martin are two manila folders containing unsolved cases that continue to puzzle the chief and his staff.
One of the folders contains the details of what Chief Martin said was McCormick’s only bank robbery, but second case — the one that the chief said he will never forget — concerns the bizarre death and hidden identity of a man who’s real name remains a mystery to this day.

The man who never was

When the call came into to the McCormick Police Department on the morning of Jan. 27, 1991, Martin was a patrolman who was the first person answering a call to investigate a broken window in a trailer.
“The initial complaint was that there might have been a burglary,” Martin said.
When he arrived, Martin discovered a strong winter wind had blown a metal rocking chair against the glass with enough force to shatter it.
Because the door to the trailer was locked, Martin crawled through the open window and went inside.
“The moment I got inside I smelled this horrible odor, but had no idea what it was,” Martin said. “No one had seen anyone around the trailer for a couple of years, so I continued to investigate, thinking there had been a robbery because it was an abandoned trailer.” As Martin walked toward the back of the single-wide trailer, he saw what looked to be a rag lying on the floor near the bathroom door.
Moving toward the material, Martin’s foot inadvertently came in contact with what later proved to be a human leg in a severe state of decomposition.

Wow-I totally agree with Docwho on this one. There are some questions that never should be answered. I hope BethInAK's thinking is correct and his family knows some of what was going on.

Maybe Mr. Rice was originally from another country and his real family has no idea where he went. I don't know anything about the CIA, but I doubt if anything that is connected to government would give anyone a large sum of cash, and have to wonder if they even used black men back when Mr. Rice would have been working since he looked to be pretty old in his pic, unless he infiltrated some group of interest to someone.

Also, I would imagine if he had been in something like the Witness Protection Program, his ID / paperwork would be backed up properly... not coming up as fake or forged.

330px-Walter_rice.jpg

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Heirs_of_Walter_Rice

All that could be determined about Walter was that he was born in 1920, he never married, had no children, had several brothers and sisters, and worked at a restaurant in Connecticut for ten years. They also found that he had a passport with several exotic locations stamped in it.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Heirs_of_Walter_Rice

Strange Company: The Man Who Wasn't There: The Enigma of Walter Rice

here is part of the article I found.

The Man Who Wasn't There: The Enigma of Walter Rice

Walter Rice

Sometime in 1990, a man named Walter Rice moved from Connecticut to McCormick, South Carolina. He bought a small lot and a trailer, and settled down to live virtually as a hermit. He had no job, no friends, no known activities. So isolated was his life that when he failed to pay his power bill in February 1992, it was assumed Rice had simply abandoned his trailer. Crews removed his meter, and no one thought anything more about the matter.

In April 1994, McCormick’s police department received a disturbing phone call from a woman who refused to give her name. She said that two months before, a friend of hers had broken into Rice’s trailer, only to find his dead body lying on the floor. The woman explained her long silence by saying she assumed someone would discover the corpse, but as the weeks went by, her conscience forced her to alert authorities. When police arrived at the trailer, they did indeed find signs of a break-in. And the very, very dead body of Walter Rice.

The coroner estimated that Rice had died early in February 1992, probably of a massive heart attack. (He had been injured in a serious auto accident in late January 1992, which might have also contributed to his death.)

"Greenwood Index-Journal," November 7, 1994, via Newspapers.com

A couple of things came to mind. What if he was just the type of person that saved money.
There are only check stubs from 1973 to 1983. Could he have worked off the books the whole other time?
Also how did they know he had siblings if they did not know who he really was?
I wonder what we’re the places that were stamped in his passport ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back