New Panda Cub at San Diego Zoo

KrisNine

Reaction score
From the San Diego Zoo Website!!!
Panda cub born! (August 3, 2007)

Bai Yun gave birth to a single cub today following a 2.5-hour labor. Our animal care staff observed parturition at 1:31 p.m. via a closed-circuit camera installed at the Giant Panda Research Station birthing den. This is a delicate period for the cub, but Bai Yun is an experienced mother and the Giant Panda Team will be monitoring the pair around the clock. The Zoo’s Panda Cam will provide a sneak peek into the den within the next 24 hours.
The sex of the newborn will not be known for some time. The newborn cub is the fourth giant panda born at the Zoo, all of them to Bai Yun. The cub's father is Gao Gao.

I'm soooooo excited!!

I love pandas.....how exciting that a little one has been born....thanks for the link Kris.

I'll post pictures of the little one as soon as we can get them. We won't know for some time if it's a boy or a girl, but how exciting. In the mean time, enjoy this picture of 2 year old Su Lin, that I took at her birthday party yesterday.

If you guys click on the Panda Cam link, you can watch the little cub grow. :) I know I'm the crazy panda lady, but you'll all fall in love :)

From now on around the boards Kris you will be panda Lady to me....Ill be watching them too:)

I remember watching a Panda baby cam last year..or was that the year before?
very cool! Thanks K-9. They are gorgeous creatures.

From the San Diego Zoo Website!!!
Panda cub born! (August 3, 2007)

Bai Yun gave birth to a single cub today following a 2.5-hour labor. Our animal care staff observed parturition at 1:31 p.m. via a closed-circuit camera installed at the Giant Panda Research Station birthing den. This is a delicate period for the cub, but Bai Yun is an experienced mother and the Giant Panda Team will be monitoring the pair around the clock. The Zoo’s Panda Cam will provide a sneak peek into the den within the next 24 hours.
The sex of the newborn will not be known for some time. The newborn cub is the fourth giant panda born at the Zoo, all of them to Bai Yun. The cub's father is Gao Gao.

I'm soooooo excited!!
What! 2.5 hour labor (aren't they lucky)!!! Glad everything went smooth. :D Beautiful pandas.

I remember watching a Panda baby cam last year..or was that the year before?
very cool! Thanks K-9. They are gorgeous creatures.

You probably watched in 2005. That's when Su Lin was born. The cub before Su, Mei Sheng, was born in 2003. Even before that, back in 1999, there was another cub, Hua Mei. They are just the best.

I've been watching this baby and you can't even see it yet. It's so small.

Hi Kris....we got an email showing a mamma panda with her baby....mum is busy chewing on bamboo and forgets all about the little one until it sneezes,mums reaction is priceless.....have you seen it?

Hi Kris....we got an email showing a mamma panda with her baby....mum is busy chewing on bamboo and forgets all about the little one until it sneezes,mums reaction is priceless.....have you seen it?

Yes!! Is that not the cutest thing?? Cracks me up. I love it.

And you know something, I totally am the Panda Lady :) I have thousands of pictures that I've taken of pandas!! I love them :)

It's so refreshing to read some happy news here!! What a beautiful little baby panda! :D

1028178817_d0d9c53a90.jpg

Here's the baby....so tiny right now...

1028178817_d0d9c53a90.jpg

Here's the baby....so tiny right now...

That is the cutest little thing!!!!!!! So tiny, it looks like a baby squirrel, how in the world does the Mom keep up with it???? Bai Yun is so big...wow!So freaky how animals are better at the parenting thing than some humans...

That is the cutest little thing!!!!!!! So tiny, it looks like a baby squirrel, how in the world does the Mom keep up with it???? Bai Yun is so big...wow!So freaky how animals are better at the parenting thing than some humans...

It's funny because the baby only weighs about 4 ounces...compared to Bai Yun's 220lbs. Bai Yun holds the baby almost 100% of the time for the first few weeks. She won't eat for a couple of weeks. She'll barely drink or go to the bathroom for a couple of weeks. She snuck away today for a quick break, that's how we got the glimpse of the little one :) Pandas are excellent mothers once they have their cubs :)

It's funny because the baby only weighs about 4 ounces...compared to Bai Yun's 220lbs. Bai Yun holds the baby almost 100% of the time for the first few weeks. She won't eat for a couple of weeks. She'll barely drink or go to the bathroom for a couple of weeks. She snuck away today for a quick break, that's how we got the glimpse of the little one :) Pandas are excellent mothers once they have their cubs :)

Kris..you know your Panda stuff! That is so neat...do you work with them? I know you have probably answered that already:)

Kris..you know your Panda stuff! That is so neat...do you work with them? I know you have probably answered that already:)

Thanks :) But no I don't work with them, I'm just a nerd. I love pandas. I take pictures of them at the few zoos in the US that have them. Hopefully, next year I'll be going to Wolong China to a panda research station to work with them. I'll get to be hands on with them and actually get to hold them!!!

I'll post pictures of the little one as soon as we can get them. We won't know for some time if it's a boy or a girl, but how exciting. In the mean time, enjoy this picture of 2 year old Su Lin, that I took at her birthday party yesterday.

Kris, gotta love that silly Su Lin! She was so funny, using her ice cake as a combo toy/portable cooler. Good thing SDZ gave her a second, flat ice cake later in the day.
I love watching Bai and cubbie on the cam. She is such an amazing mom!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back