MO - Megan Shultz, 24, found deceased, Columbia, 4 Aug 2006 *Husband Arrested in 2019*

bnhall

Former Member
Reaction score
http://someoneismissing.com/missouri/megan-shultz.htm

I couldn't find a thread for Megan, so I thought I would start one. I didn't know anything about her disappearance until today when the local paper did an update.
It seems that her disappearance in voluntary; however, she suffers from severe mental illness.

http://www.showmenews.com/2007/Aug/20070804News010.asp

A year later, mom continues search for daughter

A year ago today, she disappeared without a trace, leaving behind her mother, a husband and an infant daughter.
Megan Shultz was last seen by her husband, Keith Comfort, about 1 a.m. Aug. 4, 2006, at her Amelia Street apartment. She was wearing a pink tank top, white capri pants and flip-flops. Since September, she has been listed with the National Center for Missing Adults.

Sounds to me she has Bipolar like her dad does.

I hope she is OK- we do some pretty scarey and dangerous things while manic!

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/feb/11/news/chi-ap-mo-missingmissourimo

11 Feb 09

It’s been more than two years since Megan Nicole Shultz was last seen alive.

The 24-year-old woman walked out of her Columbia apartment in August 2006 after an argument with her husband, leaving behind him and their infant daughter. Less than three weeks after her disappearance, Shultz’s husband, Keith Comfort, filed for divorce. He now lives in Kenosha, Wis., with a new wife and 3-year-old daughter Kaelin.

Shultz’s mother thinks her daughter is dead. The missing woman’s best friend holds out hope she is still alive. And Columbia police remain stumped by one of its oldest cases involving a missing person.

“I don’t know how many leads I’ve followed,” said Detective John Short. “I’ve got nothing.”

much more at link

Huh, I don't recall the fight with the husband and her leaving on foot from when she was first missing. I also never heard about the difficulties with her mother. I wonder where she is...

I went to youth group with Megan roughly 15 years ago. I think its so sad that she is still missing. I didn't know her very well, but my heart goes out to her friends and family. I saw a poster for her 6-7 years ago and was shocked that she was missing. I am glad there are people and websites like this; it really gives me hope for humanity.

11 years and Megan is still missing.
Praying for her to finally be found. It has been too long.

From the Charley Project:

(Images circa 2006)

attachment.php
attachment.php

In reading the Charley Project synopsis, I was left feeling...WHAT?!

She was going out with friends. She never showed up. 3 weeks later her husband filed for divorce. Wait, what?!

I really wonder what kind of investigative resources were brought to bear on this? If any?

Attachments

• Comfort (Shultz) Megan.jpg
    Comfort (Shultz) Megan.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Comfort (Shultz) Megan2.jpg
    Comfort (Shultz) Megan2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 40
From the Charley Project:

(Images circa 2006)

attachment.php
attachment.php

In reading the Charley Project synopsis, I was left feeling...WHAT?!

She was going out with friends. She never showed up. 3 weeks later her husband filed for divorce. Wait, what?!

I really wonder what kind of investigative resources were brought to bear on this? If any?

I also wonder that.
It is time for answers. There's been nothing said in a very long time.

This woman had a daughter and my heart hurts for that little girl to have had to grow up not knowing where her mother is.

Husband confesses to murder in 2006 disappearance of Columbia woman

NAT_5288_3.jpg

Exactly 13 years to the day after the disappearance of his wife, Keith Alan Comfort, 37, confessed to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, police Sunday that he killed her in 2006 and threw her body in a dumpster.

A warrant for Comfort’s arrest has been issued with a $1,000,000 cash-only bond.
---
He then told a Lake Geneva police officer about the day that he killed his wife. The two had an argument, during which he grabbed his wife by the arms, forced her to the ground and strangled her. After realizing his wife wasn’t breathing, “he placed her in a black garbage bag and threw her into the shared dumpster of the apartment complex” on Amelia Street where the two lived in Columbia.

When her mother inquired about where she was the next day, Comfort filed a missing person report with Columbia police. At the time of the report, Comfort had a three-inch bruise and a small scratch on his left bicep that he claimed he received from Shultz during the argument.

Less than three weeks later, Comfort filed for divorce.

UPDATE: Husband confesses to murder in 2006 disappearance of Columbia woman

EXCLUSIVE: Mother speaks out after alleged murder of daughter in 2006

Debra Shultz, Megan's mother, said she felt in her heart that Comfort had killed Megan, but could never prove it.

"I hired detectives, I talked to bounty hunters and retired marshalls. I searched from one end of the country to the other," Shultz said. "That was very frustrating for many years. I just felt like something had happened in that apartment that one fateful night, and it did. Her life ended in that apartment on Amelia Street."

Shultz said she was a part of the effort in searching for her daughter.

"I put up flyers everywhere and her poster was listed on the rest stops all over Missouri. I gave everything I could to the police department and I continued to search," Shultz said. "I went through depression as any mother would but I still kept searching."

Shultz said she is frustrated and has a lot of mixed feelings.

"As the years go by, you want to hope that she is happy and living a good life some place out there, but deep down you know that she is gone," Shultz said. "She was a beautiful girl and she was very talented musically."

EXCLUSIVE: Mother speaks out after alleged murder of daughter in 2006

37-year-old Keith Comfort is being held in jail on a $1 million bond.

Comfort implicated himself in the death of his former wife, Megan Shultz, when speaking with police in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin on Sunday.

Sunday was the 13th anniversary of Shultz’s disappearance.

Columbia detectives are heading to Wisconsin to interview him.

Wisconsin man charged in death of missing Missouri woman

Comfort walked into the Lake Geneva police department and asked to speak with an officer about a mental health issue. He then confessed to killing his wife.

Comfort told the officer on Aug. 4, 2006, Shultz called him in hysterics, saying she had participated in a drug transaction but had “ripped someone off.”

When Comfort arrived home, Shultz was frantic and began “swinging” her arms at him. Comfort said he grabbed her, took her to the ground and strangled her.

When he realized she was no longer breathing, Comfort said, he put Shultz’s body in a black garbage bag and threw it into their apartment complex’s dumpster.

He told officers he reported Shultz missing only after her mother had asked about her.

13 Years After His Wife Went Missing, Husband Allegedly Confesses to Murdering Her

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821
Back