Parents Upset After Kids Are Strip-Searched at Camp

White Rain

Reaction score
These counselors had NO right to do this. I would be furious if anyone did this to my child.

EAST CHICAGO, Ind. — Parents say their children were strip-searched at a city-run day camp by counselors who were searching for $140 that disappeared from another worker's backpack.
April Hinton said her 8-year-old son told her about the search that happened at the Martin Luther King Center last week.
The camp director who ordered the search has been suspended, and an investigation by the city Human Resources Department is expected to end this week, city spokesman Damian Rico said Wednesday.
"We are interviewing everybody that was involved. Parents, workers, everyone," Rico said.
Rose Jefferson said her 9-year-old son called her from the center last Monday as the searches were taking place.
"He ran to the front desk and told him what was happening, and they let him call home," Jefferson said. "He called me and said, 'Mama, they want me to take my clothes off.'
"I said you don't take your clothes off for anybody. Come on home."
more at link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292750,00.html

OMG! What on earth were they thinking?! I can hear the Lawyers congregating now...with business cards in hand for the parents!

That worker was a fool to have left that much money unattended in a backpack. I wonder if they found the money if it was really even missing.

Wow what were they thinking?
One of the parents should go teach them a lesson!

I wonder if money was really missing. Maybe it was made up so they could do the strip-search. Who sits around and thinks doing that to children is a good idea? :doh:

Aprils Hilton's 8 year old son was sure assertive, Good for him! I bet he was the only child that didn't willingly comply. That child handled the situation perfectly. In my experience most children are taught to listen and follow directions of adults as opposed to being taught to think for themselves. His mother should be very proud of herself and her son!

Why was it not an option to make the children simply empty their back packs and pockets?

Its truly scary the people we trust our children with.

$140 is hardly worth the trouble these people are in now. They probably cost themselves much much more.

OMG If someone stripe searched my child, I'd -slap that counselor to the moon. THIS is exactly how pedophiles lure children into undressing for them.
This makes me furious.

I remember back in about 1983 when there was a drug problem going around my high school, and there were kids being pulled into the assistant principal's office and randomly strip searched - down to their underwear, regardless of sex.

It was a huge disaster. I have always wondered, even as a kid, what the hell they were thinking. The parents went nuts.

Twenty years later, it shouldn't even cross their minds.

Well, here's another one for the ACLU.

As it should be. Thank goodness we have some out there looking out for our civil liberties as there are so many in power now doing their best to take them from us. In so many ways.

And they do it for everyone. Even groups most people don't like here in America.

OMG If someone stripe searched my child, I'd -slap that counselor to the moon. THIS is exactly how pedophiles lure children into undressing for them.
This makes me furious.

Come on now. There's no indication these people are pedofiles. Stop trying to create controversy where there is none (for now). Not everyone is a pedofile, but there sure are alot of stupid people out there.

I wonder if they stripped searched all the counselors too. How do they know it was one of the kids that did it. Or maybe this person thought they had that money there and had put it somewhere else and forgot. I know I've done that.
I have had times I could have sworn I had something in a certain place and then thought it was missing , then found it somewhere else I forgot I put or hid it.
Maybe not likely but how do we know for sure. But no matter what, this should have not happened to these children period.

I wonder if they stripped searched all the counselors too. How do they know it was one of the kids that did it. Or maybe this person thought they had that money there and had put it somewhere else and forgot. I know I've done that.
I have had times I could have sworn I had something in a certain place and then thought it was missing , then found it somewhere else I forgot I put or hid it.
Maybe not likely but how do we know for sure. But no matter what, this should have not happened to these children period.

There is no way I would have left that amount of money laying around unsupervised. Where I worked I didn't even take my purse in with me, it was left locked up in the car.
I would have been looking at the other workers before 8 year old children, were the workers also strip searched?

VB

I find it alarming that only one child called his mother..
the rest just went along with it.
What does that say??

What does that say??

That's a good point Am.

Do you rememeber that case with the worker at a McDonalds who was asked to strip by someone on the phone pretending to be a cop. That case blew my mind.

What does that say??

It says that children do what they're told. Unfortunately, not enough of them are taught that they don't ALWAYS have to do what a grown up tells them to do. I always have told my children if a grown up tells you to do something that you're uncomfortable doing, say NO and mean it.

I'm always taken aback when I see parents tell their kids to kiss total strangers (even if they are friends with the parents), or to sit on someone's lap, etc. Where is the personal space for these kids?

It says that children do what they're told. Unfortunately, not enough of them are taught that they don't ALWAYS have to do what a grown up tells them to do. I always have told my children if a grown up tells you to do something that you're uncomfortable doing, say NO and mean it.

I'm always taken aback when I see parents tell their kids to kiss total strangers (even if they are friends with the parents), or to sit on someone's lap, etc. Where is the personal space for these kids?

I once had an argument with my in laws for this exact issue.
They told my daughter to go over and kiss "Aunt So and So".
She grabbed my leg and I picked her up explaining that she didn't know her. They told me that I was teaching her to be disrespectful. I disagreed and told them that I was teaching her to be cautious of strangers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back