Identified! Oh - Eastlake, Whtmale 454umoh, 70, Alias 'jnchandler Iii', Jul'02 - Robert Ivan Nichols

iNTERESTEDWOMAN

I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oi
Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/454umoh.html

This is a very interesting story. I don't think it has been posted here at WS.

Unidentified Male

• The victim was discovered on July 30, 2002 in Eastlake, Ohio.
  • Cause of Death was suicide
  • Estimated age: 70 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 160 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Graying brown hair; gray eyes. He wore eye-glasses.
  • Dentals: Available
Case History
The unidentified male had gone by the name Joseph Newton Chandler III, the name of a 9-year-old boy who died in a car wreck on U.S. Highway 82 in 1945, along with his parents as they traveled from Tulsa to Weatherford for the Christmas season. It's as if the unidentified man walked through the cemetery, looking for someone whose identity could be assumed.
Police believe John Doe and Joe Chandler III would have been about the same age, a contributing factor in John Doe's decision to become Joe Chandler. After Eastlake Police used dental records to verify the deceased John Doe was known as Joseph Chandler, they closed the case, listing it as a suicide.
The probate courts worked through his estate, which included an $82,000 legacy. They contacted Joe Chandler's relatives in the east, and that's when they discovered the real Joe Chandler died in the 1945 wreck.
John Doe had used his alias at least since September 1978, when he wrote off for a copy of Joe Chandler III's birth certificate and applied for his first Social Security Card, while he was in Rapid City, S.D. His dental records were made during that 23-year period he'd gone by the alias.
John Doe shot himself in the head in his apartment using a .38-caliber Charter Arms handgun that had been purchased at a Western Auto store in Seagoville between 1968 and 1978. The store has been closed for some time and its records destroyed. The gun has never been reported as stolen or missing.
Although they can't connect the actual time that John Doe walked away from himself, they believe it would have been between 1968 and 1978. At some point, evidence showed, he was in California, worked around or was in the U.S. Navy, and had some electrical engineering experience. He moved to the Cleveland area in 1979, and then to his last apartment in 1986.
He lived a hermit life, going only to work and out to eat.

If they had the manpower to look through the old fingerprint cards from South Dakota (or one of the surrounding states), I bet they would find that he was a convict.

Back then this was a tried-but-true method of adopting a new identity - getting a hold of the birth certificate of a dead child.

...The probate courts worked through his estate, which included an $82,000 legacy. They contacted Joe Chandler's relatives in the east, and that's when they discovered the real Joe Chandler died in the 1945 wreck. ...

The family of the real Joe Chandler (the little boy who died in 1945) should sue the state and the estate of this character for the $82,000, and any other property.

In these days of identity theft, where someone's identity can be stolen and then be held responsible for debts run up by the thief - or have credit ratings ruined, it should follow that the victims should also be able to sue and obtain monies and property gained by the thief in their name.

If such a ruling were to be made in favor of the plaintif, it would set a new precident, and might go a long way in preventing identity theft.

To me, this case is quite intriguing due to circumstances. Upon studying information on both, I have a very strong hunch he could be Dial.

jondo.jpg

John Doe Ohio

John Doe assumed the identity of Joseph Newton Chandler III, a young boy that was killed in an auto accident near Sherman, TX. John Doe most likely copied the information from the boy's tombstone in the City Greenwood Cemetery in Weatherford, Texas. The boy was buried there, along with his parents. John Doe, at the claimed age of 41, wrote off for a Social Security Number in September of 1978* from 2326-1/2 Canyon Lake Drive in Rapid City, SD. Doe used the boy's birthday of March 11, 1937.

Doe moved to the Cleveland, Ohio area in 1979 and finally settled in Eastlake, Ohio in 1986. A probate attorney, hired to look for Chandler's family, contacted local private investigator Michael Lewis, of Confidential Investigative Services, who discovered Chandler was really an imposter.

Lt. Tom Doyle, who had handled the case, believed strongly that "Chandler" was from Texas. Doe purchased the weapon that he ended his life with at a Western Auto store in Seagoville, TX in 1967 according to the Akron Beacon Journal.

Evidence shows that he was once in California, was either in the U.S. Navy or Air Force; or worked around the Navy or Air Force, and had worked as electrical engineer. Those close to him also state he claimed he was "once married to a South American".

Estimation had him at around 65-70..

Now for Dial..

dial_john.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dial_john.html

Take a look...

Similar: The chins almost seem dead on.. Facially, there's many striking similarities.

Military background: Believed Doe was in the Navy or Air Force.. Dial was in the Air Force.

Married to a South American? Check.

Also, the location in Texas where the gun was purchased and the actual Chandler's final resting spot are roughly four hours from Childress.

His age in 2002 would be roughly about 60 years old. The estimated age could be off by about ten years or so. Wouldn't be the first time.

Possible this could get looked into?

A very good possibility... I agree that age estimates can be off by more than we think (I wonder how many people have stayed unID'd because of that??) I always assume a wide berth around the age estimates.

Maybe some sleuthers on here can give advice on how to submit to LE?

Remember that John Doe in Texas who proved not to be Elmer Crawford? Well for some weeks after that, I was convinced this Ohio John DOe could be Elmer Crawford. But now I don't think his ears are quite large enough to be Elmer, even with the way lobes grow as people age. The lifestyle though, is exactly what I could imagine of Elmer Crawford on the run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_family_murder

I've looked at this case a few times and swear I've seen an "age enhanced" photo of a missing person that looks like "Joseph". While I search for that...I am curious to know what you guys think about James Lampman?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/911dmca.html

Pros: He would have been about 67 in 2002; is in the right height/weight range; wears eyeglasses; was from California; disappeared in 1978.

Cons: 1. Eyes are listed as blue. What shade? don't know...the pic is B&W
2. Very little information about him.
3. can't gauge his nose due to the 'stache.

Who Was Joe Chandler?
A Free Times Investigation Reveals New Clues In Eastlake's Strangest Unsolved Mystery
By James Renner, Volume 15, Issue 47, Published March 26th, 2008

Our mystery begins with a tragic confluence of events that occurred along a dark stretch of country road just before Christmas, not long after the end of the second World War.

The Chandler family are in their 1941 sedan, driving south through Sherman, on their way to Grandma's house in Weatherford. The Chandlers live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where Joe Chandler II is a field rep for Buick Motor Co. His wife, Billie, and their only child, 8-year-old Joe III, are with him in the car, packed between wrapped presents and luggage. They are planning to spend the holidays in Texas.

A man drives another car north, a ways down the road. He doesn't know the Chandlers. And that's a blessing, really, considering what happens next.

In the road between them, a truck full of lumber has pulled to the side of the northbound lane, halfway on the shoulder. The man doesn't see it until it is upon him. Obeying instinct, he swerves to avoid it, never seeing the Chandlers' car coming the other way until it's too late.

The man survives. The Chandlers do not. The presents in the car are donated to a local charity. Their bodies are laid to rest near Grandma's house.

And that was the last anyone heard of Joe Chandler III, until 2002, when he died again in Northeast Ohio.
Article link

Thanks, SW, for the link to that amazing article. Very interesting.

To me, this case is quite intriguing due to circumstances. Upon studying information on both, I have a very strong hunch he could be Dial.

jondo.jpg

John Doe Ohio

John Doe assumed the identity of Joseph Newton Chandler III, a young boy that was killed in an auto accident near Sherman, TX. John Doe most likely copied the information from the boy's tombstone in the City Greenwood Cemetery in Weatherford, Texas. The boy was buried there, along with his parents. John Doe, at the claimed age of 41, wrote off for a Social Security Number in September of 1978* from 2326-1/2 Canyon Lake Drive in Rapid City, SD. Doe used the boy's birthday of March 11, 1937.

Doe moved to the Cleveland, Ohio area in 1979 and finally settled in Eastlake, Ohio in 1986. A probate attorney, hired to look for Chandler's family, contacted local private investigator Michael Lewis, of Confidential Investigative Services, who discovered Chandler was really an imposter.

Lt. Tom Doyle, who had handled the case, believed strongly that "Chandler" was from Texas. Doe purchased the weapon that he ended his life with at a Western Auto store in Seagoville, TX in 1967 according to the Akron Beacon Journal.

Evidence shows that he was once in California, was either in the U.S. Navy or Air Force; or worked around the Navy or Air Force, and had worked as electrical engineer. Those close to him also state he claimed he was "once married to a South American".

Estimation had him at around 65-70..

Now for Dial..

dial_john.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dial_john.html

Take a look...

Similar: The chins almost seem dead on.. Facially, there's many striking similarities.

Military background: Believed Doe was in the Navy or Air Force.. Dial was in the Air Force.

Married to a South American? Check.

Also, the location in Texas where the gun was purchased and the actual Chandler's final resting spot are roughly four hours from Childress.

His age in 2002 would be roughly about 60 years old. The estimated age could be off by about ten years or so. Wouldn't be the first time.

Possible this could get looked into?

Green Hornet,

Do you ever submit this to LE?

The question here is did Eastlake PD ever took the fingerprints of John Doe Ohio who was going by the alias Joseph Chandler III when he was found deceased in Eastlake?

If Eastlake PD has the fingerprints of John Doe Ohio, then it should be easy to compare the fingerprints of John Doe Ohio and John Victor Dial if both men served in the military.

Green Hornet,

Do you ever submit this to LE?

Color me unknowing, but how do I go about doing this?

I'm not often confident in my hunches when it comes to identifying people on here, but I feel extremely strongly about the probability of a match here.

another long shot... i'd be happier with it if I had more stats on the missing person, but still feel I should post because the missing person is not in Doenetwork and may not come into consideration otherwise

One of the theories about Frederick Valentich's disappearance October 21st 1978 is that he staged his disappearance. He was flying his plane and described what seemed to be a UFO attack, followed by metal scraping sounds. No wreckage or body was found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Valentich
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/canwehelp/txt/s1924599.htm

Is this person one and the same?

jondo.jpg campb1.jpg zod.jpg
Watch this video transformation, click this link.
http://crimeshadows.com/images/jondoe.swf

The younger person is a man named Stephen Craig Campbell. Campbell is wanted for attempted first degree murder and possession and manufacture of a destructive device. Has been spotted In Virgin Islands. Maybe using an alias and possible in the Houston/New Orleans area. A Federal Warrant was issued on April 25, 1983, in Wyoming, charging him with manufacture and possession of a bomb.

So why could these two characters share the same body?

Stephen Campbell used different identities. John Doe assumed another person's identity. John Doe obviously had something to hide. Campbell is wanted by the ATF. Evidence shows that John Doe was once in California. Campbell was born in California. To make it easier to hide from authorities, Campbell created another life with which he could move into easily.John Doe worked as an electrical engineer. Stephen Campbell worked as an electrical engineer. Using his stolen identity's birthday would put Doe around 65 years old in the year of his death, 2002. In 2002, Stephen Campbell, using his actual birthday, would turn 54. Browse through pictures of 54 year old criminals, many look much older than Doe does in the photo above. In 2002, John Doe's body was discovered on July 30, just a few days after Campbell's own birthday.

For whatever it is worth, read the following:

John Doe was possibly married to a Cuban woman. The Virgin Islands, where Campbell was reported sighted, are in close proximity to Cuba.
Only 308 miles lie between Cheyenne, WY and Rapid City, SD.

It also may be worth noting that some have even brought up the possibility that he may also be the Zodiac Killer.

Is this person one and the same?

View attachment 38369 View attachment 38370 View attachment 38373
Watch this video transformation, click this link.
http://crimeshadows.com/images/jondoe.swf

The younger person is a man named Stephen Craig Campbell. Campbell is wanted for attempted first degree murder and possession and manufacture of a destructive device. Has been spotted In Virgin Islands. Maybe using an alias and possible in the Houston/New Orleans area. A Federal Warrant was issued on April 25, 1983, in Wyoming, charging him with manufacture and possession of a bomb.

So why could these two characters share the same body?

Stephen Campbell used different identities. John Doe assumed another person's identity. John Doe obviously had something to hide. Campbell is wanted by the ATF. Evidence shows that John Doe was once in California. Campbell was born in California. To make it easier to hide from authorities, Campbell created another life with which he could move into easily.John Doe worked as an electrical engineer. Stephen Campbell worked as an electrical engineer. Using his stolen identity's birthday would put Doe around 65 years old in the year of his death, 2002. In 2002, Stephen Campbell, using his actual birthday, would turn 54. Browse through pictures of 54 year old criminals, many look much older than Doe does in the photo above. In 2002, John Doe's body was discovered on July 30, just a few days after Campbell's own birthday.

For whatever it is worth, read the following:

John Doe was possibly married to a Cuban woman. The Virgin Islands, where Campbell was reported sighted, are in close proximity to Cuba.
Only 308 miles lie between Cheyenne, WY and Rapid City, SD.

It also may be worth noting that some have even brought up the possibility that he may also be the Zodiac Killer.

Campbell is 6'2" with brown eyes and John doe is around 5'7" with grey eyes. They do have a similar look , although I think it mostly has to do with the glasses.

http://www.atf.gov/content/stephen-craig-campbell

I have long wondered if this Doe and the other one who used the alias Frysinger - among others - could be Frank Morris or one of the Anglin brothers. Especially in light of the fact that one of them had obliterated all of his finger prints.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2014/10/chasing_a_ghost_us_marshal_inv.html

Elliott and his office have resurrected the case of a man who appeared to be a paradox: a simpleton with a brilliant mind who lived as a pauper but had a modest bank account. All of it was built on a foundation of fiction.

"This is like chasing a ghost,'' Elliott said. "He lived the perfect life of someone on the run. He had no friends. He never got in trouble. He just lived so very quietly. He knew exactly what he was doing''...

Elliott has spent six months examining the case, following up on a detailed investigation by Eastlake police detectives. He has looked into links involving handfuls of fugitives from New Hampshire to California. He has examined long shots, such as the Zodiac Killer, who terrified San Francisco in the 1960s and 1970s, and inmates who escaped from Alcatraz. He hasn't ruled out the Eastlake man in those cases, but he has in others, including fugitives in Oklahoma and Ohio.

Take a look at the ears of John Anglin and Joseph Newton Chandler III.

I also see some similarities in the eyes and shape of the jaw; and the glasses and nose line up surprisingly well in the two shots. Look at the way that you can see the nostrils in both men, although they do seem narrower in the older man, perhaps due to puffiness.

oGpqyV0.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back