MN - Zachary King, 7, mauled to death by pit bull, Minneapolis, 16 Aug 2007

cheko1

Reaction score
Minneapolis boy killed by pit bull Minneapolis police confirm 7-year-old Zack King was mauled and killed by his family's pet pit bull.
The incident happened Thursday afternoon on the 3000 block of Humboldt Avenue North.
The boy was attacked in his basement by the male pit bull, which was tied down inside the family's home.
The boy's father, also named Zack King, tried to help his son and was hurt in the process. King shot the pit bull and the dog was fatally wounded.
Several other pit bulls were removed from the home.

Will this never end?????

Oh, MY! Isn't that an odd place to have a dog chained? In the basement? I wonder what purpose he had all those pits. Hmmmm...was he fighting them?

How horrific for that poor child to die such a vicious death because his father chose to ignore how dangerous it is to have those around children...IMO! I half expected to hear, "But the dog NEVER acted like this before or the dog was always such a sweetheart."

When will people finally get it? Take your pick...have your pits or have your kids.

Its not going to end unless these dogs are removed from domestic life. These deaths are constant.

Chained pit bulls in a basement...sounds like he kept fighting dogs there. "Family pet" pitbull again!!!!

Minneapolis boy killed by pit bull Minneapolis police confirm 7-year-old Zack King was mauled and killed by his family's pet pit bull.
The incident happened Thursday afternoon on the 3000 block of Humboldt Avenue North.
The boy was attacked in his basement by the male pit bull, which was tied down inside the family's home.
The boy's father, also named Zack King, tried to help his son and was hurt in the process. King shot the pit bull and the dog was fatally wounded.

Will this never end?????

The truth is that for every Death Row inmate there is always someone who will defend them...... Just like the pit bull.

It will not end because there are certain people who contend that these are sweet misunderstood creatures.

I would no sooner throw my child in a cage with a hungry lion yet ... people claim pit bulls are gentle creatures. I am fairly certain that not all lions attack people either.

People insist on owning these dogs and further insist that it is bad upbringing that causes them to snap..

Truth be told a KEY characteristic in their behavior, however they are raised, is the odd notion to actually be sweet and gentle and then one day snap for no apparent reason.
Most dogs can be tested for aggression .... yet a pit bull could pass with flying colors one day and attack someones throat the next for no obvious reason.

I think owning a lion would almost be safer .... at least then one must have a license and a cage and training that meets certain criteria as well as periodic spot checks to ensure the cage is being kept up to code.

Any idiot can own a pitbull.

Oh, MY! Isn't that an odd place to have a dog chained? In the basement? I wonder what purpose he had all those pits. Hmmmm...was he fighting them?

How horrific for that poor child to die such a vicious death because his father chose to ignore how dangerous it is to have those around children...IMO! I half expected to hear, "But the dog NEVER acted like this before or the dog was always such a sweetheart."

When will people finally get it? Take your pick...have your pits or have your kids.

I disagree only in that even those that do not have children who have pits still often pose a serious danger to others ... like their neighbors.

As I illustrated with my Lion theory above... I think people who own pits MUST have them spayed or neutered... MUST meet certain training experience and fenced yard / cage guidelines as well as have a license.
All of those things cost money and IMO that alone would eliminate much of the attacks we see..
Also anyone owning a pitbull found loose should have to pay SERIOUS fines.

I think this is sad and is happening all over:

Guilford Shelter's Care For Pit Bulls Threatens Adoptable Dogs

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Guilford County Animal Shelter may have to euthanize healthy, adoptable dogs because it must care for 15 pit bulls seized from a man charged with dogfighting and animal cruelty.

Shelter executive director Marsha Williams said the shelter has doubled up on some animals. But the 15 pit bulls are held in separate cages and that limits the number of other animals the shelter can hold for adoption.

Williams said since the pit bulls were seized Friday, the shelter has euthanized two dogs with medical conditions because they didn't have a cage for them. She said healthy, adoptable animals also may have to be put down.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/13906645...l=gws_12pm&tmi=gws_12pm_1_11000308162007&ts=H

I think this is sad and is happening all over:

Guilford Shelter's Care For Pit Bulls Threatens Adoptable Dogs

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Guilford County Animal Shelter may have to euthanize healthy, adoptable dogs because it must care for 15 pit bulls seized from a man charged with dogfighting and animal cruelty.

Shelter executive director Marsha Williams said the shelter has doubled up on some animals. But the 15 pit bulls are held in separate cages and that limits the number of other animals the shelter can hold for adoption.

Williams said since the pit bulls were seized Friday, the shelter has euthanized two dogs with medical conditions because they didn't have a cage for them. She said healthy, adoptable animals also may have to be put down.

http://www.wxii12.com/news/13906645...l=gws_12pm&tmi=gws_12pm_1_11000308162007&ts=H

OH OOPSSS!!! You meant the sweet healthy dog in cage 10??? I am so sorry I thought you said cages 11 - 26~~~
OOPS silly me!!
Problem solved :)

Chained pit bulls in a basement...sounds like he kept fighting dogs there. "Family pet" pitbull again!!!!
I agree these sound like fighting type dogs.More irresponsible owners.
Tragedy.

I have nothing against RESPONSIBLE owners of this breed. By responsible I mean they take every precaution their dog will not be a danger to anyone by having securely fenced yards and fenced porches should a dog get out accidentally. Unfortunately a solution is not anything that's going to happen soon. Even if we euthanize all we find, there will still be dogs irresponsibly bred.

Toddler victim of boxer dog attack

By Tom Hughes

A mother whose 20-month-old daughter was savaged in a dog attack wants the animals to be destroyed.
Claudia Dugmore was set upon outside the Riverside Veterinary Surgery in Cradge Bank, Spalding, and badly bitten on her head and body.

Confusion surrounds how many dogs were involved, with Claudia's mum Caroline Herd claiming there were three boxer dogs, but police saying it was only one.

Caroline managed to rescue Claudia from the attack and said it is only down to luck that Claudia's face was not ripped off in the attack.

She said: "I couldn't see her under the dogs. They were biting Claudia anywhere they could and pulling her around. They bit her down to the skull and left puncture wounds round the back of her head and by her ear.
http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news?articleid=3106703

I have always had boxers. Even though I believe with my whole heart that none of my boxers would ever hurt a fly, I always behave as though they could. I never let strange children get close and I always keep them in check and on a leash when out.

Toddler victim of boxer dog attack

By Tom Hughes

A mother whose 20-month-old daughter was savaged in a dog attack wants the animals to be destroyed.
Claudia Dugmore was set upon outside the Riverside Veterinary Surgery in Cradge Bank, Spalding, and badly bitten on her head and body.

Confusion surrounds how many dogs were involved, with Claudia's mum Caroline Herd claiming there were three boxer dogs, but police saying it was only one.

Caroline managed to rescue Claudia from the attack and said it is only down to luck that Claudia's face was not ripped off in the attack.

She said: "I couldn't see her under the dogs. They were biting Claudia anywhere they could and pulling her around. They bit her down to the skull and left puncture wounds round the back of her head and by her ear.
http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news?articleid=3106703

I have always had boxers. Even though I believe with my whole heart that none of my boxers would ever hurt a fly, I always behave as though they could. I never let strange children get close and I always keep them in check and on a leash when out.
Some dogs, regardless of breed, just do not do well with small children. Just as some are fearful of males, other's do like other dogs around them, prefer a certain sex dog, do not get along with smaller dogs, etc. They all are individual as well as carry breed characteristics.

:clap: :clap:

Exactly SadieMae, he was our familly pet, that never attacked that we kept chained in the basement. I am so sick of hearing about how pitbulls are abused, they are the most abused animals in the United States and we wonder why there are so many attacks. My children love our pit and he is the biggest baby ever, we also have friends that have children and pits and they are very good dogs. I don't think you have to choose, you just have to choose to treat them right.

:clap: :clap:

Exactly SadieMae, he was our familly pet, that never attacked that we kept chained in the basement. I am so sick of hearing about how pitbulls are abused, they are the most abused animals in the United States and we wonder why there are so many attacks. My children love our pit and he is the biggest baby ever, we also have friends that have children and pits and they are very good dogs. I don't think you have to choose, you just have to choose to treat them right.

I think you misinterpreted Sadies post.. As she meant that with sarcasm.

Yes, as adults with responsibilities YOU DO HAVE TO CHOOSE!! Let me put it this way... thousands of people drink and drive every single day ...
They are still a potential danger to the lives of others..
Does that mean the ones who never killed someone on the road should be permitted to drink and drive?

The truth is that for every Death Row inmate there is always someone who will defend them...... Just like the pit bull.

It will not end because there are certain people who contend that these are sweet misunderstood creatures.

I would no sooner throw my child in a cage with a hungry lion yet ... people claim pit bulls are gentle creatures. I am fairly certain that not all lions attack people either.

People insist on owning these dogs and further insist that it is bad upbringing that causes them to snap..

Truth be told a KEY characteristic in their behavior, however they are raised, is the odd notion to actually be sweet and gentle and then one day snap for no apparent reason.
Most dogs can be tested for aggression .... yet a pit bull could pass with flying colors one day and attack someones throat the next for no obvious reason.

I think owning a lion would almost be safer .... at least then one must have a license and a cage and training that meets certain criteria as well as periodic spot checks to ensure the cage is being kept up to code.

Any idiot can own a pitbull.

Could you please give specifics or facts about pits that pass agression tests and then kill someone the next day. It doesn't happen. They were trained to fight other dogs and bulls and they were the only breed that could be pulled off another dog while in a fight and obey their owner and not bite them. Here is a link to the history of pits and how they have a low bite threshold for humans. The wrong kind of people own these dogs and it is ultimately hurting the breed.

http://dogs.about.com/cs/breedprofiles/a/pitbull_history.htm

A quality that was never bred into them was human aggression. Human “aggressive” (aggression may not be the most appropriate term, it is more likely that these dogs simply had a lower bite threshold) dogs were undesirable as these dogs required extensive handling prior and during their fights - most of theses dogs were also family pets so no human “aggression” was ever tolerated.

I think you misinterpreted Sadies post.. As she meant that with sarcasm.

Yes, as adults with responsibilities YOU DO HAVE TO CHOOSE!! Let me put it this way... thousands of people drink and drive every single day ...
They are still a potential danger to the lives of others..
Does that mean the ones who never killed someone on the road should be permitted to drink and drive?

I know what she meant, it was chained in the basement yet they will say it was there pet. I am being sarcastic to in that sense, do you not see this is abuse. Would you chain your dog in a basement? Oh and to your anology of drunk driving, all dogs can kill someone so should we get rid of all of them.

Will this never end?????

You do not chain a pit. If you do, he is not going to be a part of the family "pack." These people failed to properly raise their dogs, and they have suffered a horrible loss for that failure.

Well, there you go. YOU are a responsible dog owner. God bless, JBean.

Well, there you go. YOU are a responsible dog owner. God bless, JBean.
Oh dear thanks. I also had a pit bull for awhile. I treated her the same. She was as gentle and smart as can be, but I never underestimated her nor did I underestimate how much she scared other people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back