MD - Infant, 10 mos, shaken to death, Langley Park, 10 Aug 2007

Lurker

Former Member
Reaction score
This really burns me up! The parents of the baby left their child with the girls parents! They took it upon themselves to leave the home and have their 1 year old babysit a 10 month old that they had agreed to watch themselves? They should be charged too!

http://www.nbc4.com/news/13909877/detail.html

Lurker, you have a typo in your post - they left their 14 year old, not 1 year old, to babysit.

Regardless, terrible story. A 14 year old should know better than to shake a baby? Wonder if she was mentally challenged?

Lurker, you have a typo in your post - they left their 14 year old, not 1 year old, to babysit.

Regardless, terrible story. A 14 year old should know better than to shake a baby? Wonder if she was mentally challenged?

This is the part I was talking about. The parents of the infant lef the baby with the parents of the 14 year old. The 14 year old's parents left the girl with the baby and went out.

"The 14-year-old was caring for the infant Friday afternoon at a home on 15th Avenue in Hyattsville. Officers who went to the home found the baby unconscious and not breathing.

Authorities said the infant was left in the care of the teen's parents."

I am sure this girl new it was wrong unless she was mentally challenged...
That being said ... I could easily see a 14 yo who is normal not having the patience to handle a young baby. Especially if her own parents do not set an example of patience in the home.
I don't think the 14 yo would know or realize the damage that could be done to an infant by shaking them.

Something else stands out to me as well.....
"The child keeper did tell them that an accident happened with their child," Copeland said. "So, they knew something had happened, they just didn't know what. And later on, throughout the day, they noticed the child started to become unresponsive and that's when they contacted authorities."

In the course of this scenario ... The 14 yo's parents (or parent) had access to the baby as well as the infants parents.
Are they all trying to make the 14 yo a scapegoat thinking she will get a lighter sentence?

I am sure this girl new it was wrong unless she was mentally challenged...
That being said ... I could easily see a 14 yo who is normal not having the patience to handle a young baby. Especially if her own parents do not set an example of patience in the home.
I don't think the 14 yo would know or realize the damage that could be done to an infant by shaking them.

Something else stands out to me as well.....
"The child keeper did tell them that an accident happened with their child," Copeland said. "So, they knew something had happened, they just didn't know what. And later on, throughout the day, they noticed the child started to become unresponsive and that's when they contacted authorities."

In the course of this scenario ... The 14 yo's parents (or parent) had access to the baby as well as the infants parents.
Are they all trying to make the 14 yo a scapegoat thinking she will get a lighter sentence?
I see what you mean, at the least it sounds like sloppy reporting. If the child keeper (weird wording) knew something happened, that means she knew what she did was wrong. A simply sleeping and/or quieted baby would not indicate the need for her to confess anything.

I also dislike the editorial that "It was a worst-case scenario where childcare is a challenge for working families and resources are hard to come by." It is not, sounds like neglect out and out on someones part, not a sad state for working families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back