Error in Ark. law allows kids and infants to marry

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
link
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A law passed this year allows Arkansans of any age — even infants — to marry if their parents agree, and the governor may have to call a special session to fix the mistake, lawmakers said Friday.

The legislation was intended to establish 18 as the minimum age to marry but also allow pregnant teenagers to marry with parental consent, bill sponsor Rep. Will Bond said. An extraneous "not" in the bill, however, allows anyone who is not pregnant to marry at any age if the parents allow it.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I hope they do call a special session immediately. Some bad things could happen if this is allowed to stand.

Hopefully this law will be changed, its scary the implications it can involve with infants or small children able to marry at any age. This can encourage pedophiles to marry if they get the parents consent. Not good!!

What do you get a toddler as a wedding gift?:angel: :angel:

The same thing you get any bride or groom in Arkansas: a one-way ticket out of the state.

(Sorry. I've been reading about the West Memphis 3 case and don't have anything nice to say about Arkansas right now (except that it is home to some of my favorite Websleuths. I suppose I should admit that careless legislatures exist in many places and this error could have happened anywhere.)

The same thing you get any bride or groom in Arkansas: a one-way ticket out of the state.

(Sorry. I've been reading about the West Memphis 3 case and don't have anything nice to say about Arkansas right now (except that it is home to some of my favorite Websleuths. I suppose I should admit that careless legislatures exist in many places and this error could have happened anywhere.)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
OMG Nova, I'm sending Miss Ma'am to you!!! I saw a seven-month-old boy giving her the eye the other day at the store....I am sure he was getting ready to propose!

I am so ashamed to live here. I had a talk with one of my favorite people in the world (besides Nova, that is) last night and I was telling her about how screwed up this state is....We laughed, because she said it was like a bad "Jerry Springer" episode. Problem is, I don't even think Jerry Springer would believe half of what goes on here.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
OMG Nova, I'm sending Miss Ma'am to you!!! I saw a seven-month-old boy giving her the eye the other day at the store....I am sure he was getting ready to propose!

I am so ashamed to live here. I had a talk with one of my favorite people in the world (besides Nova, that is) last night and I was telling her about how screwed up this state is....We laughed, because she said it was like a bad "Jerry Springer" episode. Problem is, I don't even think Jerry Springer would believe half of what goes on here.
My dear The original tez,:blowkiss:

Is this true?

"Even more degrading is an old law that states a man can beat his wife in Little Rock provided he does it with a stick no bigger than 3 inches across and not more than once a month."

link

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Arkansas is really not a bad state to live in. It is no worse than any other state. Actually it is a good place to live. There are many good, kind, hardworking people here, as well as some not so good people. The same as every other state. It is sad that people always assume we are all uneducated hillbillies and that our state is so horrible.

Arkansas is really not a bad state to live in. It is no worse than any other state. Actually it is a good place to live. There are many good, kind, hardworking people here, as well as some not so good people. The same as every other state. It is sad that people always assume we are all uneducated hillbillies and that our state is so horrible.

kimberdawn, we are going to have to agree to disagree here. Arkansas is a terrible place to live. Yes, there are hardworking, good, kind people here, my husband being one of those. I am far from an uneducated hillbilly. I have three and half years of college and I've lived outside of the state of Arkansas. I know how terrible it is here. I'm stuck here due to circumstances beyond my control, but as soon as those change, I won't look back when I leave this corrupt god-forsaken place.

The education system sucks! Public education, yeah, you will be able to read at the second grade level when you push you through to graduate. Don't even tell me I'm wrong, I've seen it happen in my own family.

Yes, there are good people here, but the whole state government is corrupt, right down to local LE. I don't even think the US Constitution applies here, look at the WM3 case. I could name a few others but that's just for starters.

dark_shadows, I don't know if that law is still on the books or not. It's ridiculous, if it is. But, apparently, strong women with an opinion are not the norm for where I live, so who knows?

Don't you think its best not to have them infiltrate the rest of the population???? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

OMG Jeana, that made my day! I know you aren't counting me among those...LOL

I can see how this happened. They were so busy filling the law with mumbo-jumbo,legaleeze language, and $5 words, no one realized the mistake. Some government documents are so full of nonsense words, it's hard to understand what it's really saying. If it was written in plain language there wouldn't be a problem. Also goes to show how much attention the legislature paid to reading the law before passing it. hmmmmm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back