UT - Josue Contreras-Velasco, 9, dies in trash can of icy water, SLC, 22 July 2007

Marie

Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
Reaction score
Funeral held for boy murdered at Melting Pot restaurant

The boy's life ended July 22 when his sister and a close family friend (a man) caring for Josue took him to the Melting Pot, a downtown Salt Lake City restaurant where the pair worked. It was there that prosecutors allege they put the boy in a garbage can filled with ice water for 45 minutes, causing hypothermia which led to his death.

Pair charged with murder in icy death of 9-year-old

Gaucin-Canales told a naked Contreras-Velasco to get into a large garbage can in the kitchen of the Melting Pot, 340 S. Main, and had the boy's sister retrieve several buckets of ice and cold water, which Gaucin-Canales put into the can, according to the complaint.

Contreras-Velasco stayed there for 45 minutes as a disciplinary measure, the complaint states.

After 45 minutes, Gaucin-Canales took the boy from the can and laid him on the floor, and both defendants tried to revive him, according to the charges.

When the boy did not respond, the defendants agreed on the version of events that they initially told to police, prosecutors allege.

4420155.jpg

DCFS knew of abuse before boy's hypothermia death

"He had some bruises. And when he was asked if anybody had hurt him and who it was, he didn't disclose anything," said Carol Sisco, spokeswoman for the state Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS).

Sisco said on March 2, caseworkers began investigating complaints that Josue was being left home alone and chained while his mother was at work.
A juvenile court judge found "some evidence of abuse," but "the perpetrator was unknown, so the judge left [Josue] in mom's custody," she said.

Pedro Gaucin-Canales, 36, and the victim's sister, Rebecca Hernandez-Velasco, 19, have been charged with first-degree felony murder, one second-degree felony count each of child abuse and obstructing justice.

hmmm the judge knows someone in the home is abusing the child but because he can not say which adult in the home is doing it they leave the child there til they kill him.... yeah this makes sense. after all the judge should be more worried about only punishing the guilty than protecting the child. and who can blame the mother? dcf says she was chaining the boy up at home while she worked so she got a abuser to watch the child and he killed him along with her 19 year old. i'm sure the abuse that took place before the killer/babysitter was hired was very mild or the current judge would not let this mom keep her baby and 5 year old.....

with any luck she can get a discount on graves for the other kids if she buys them in bulk now.

This sweet little boy had no chance at living, did he? Who knows what other torture he endured in his young life? I wish I could just round up all these horrible people and do the same thing to them until they die.

45 minutes!!!! He didn't go quietly, I'm sure.

RIP Josue.

What really burns my butt is his big sister was involved in his murder...I always feel comforted knowing that my daughter (she is my oldest) would take care of her little brothers if something ever were to happen to me & that she would love them and care for them like I do...This boy died knowing his big sister was his killer... breaks my heart.

What really burns my butt is his big sister was involved in his murder...I always feel comforted knowing that my daughter (she is my oldest) would take care of her little brothers if something ever were to happen to me & that she would love them and care for them like I do...This boy died knowing his big sister was his killer... breaks my heart.

The sad thing is that this woman's daughter was probably raised the same way little Josue was, with daily terror and abuse. You can trust your daughter because you raised her well in a loving home. Those kids didn't have a chance with 'mom' turning daughter into an abuser.

Dearest Marie,:blowkiss:
Thank-you for the thread.
This is truly disturbing. I looked up the hours on this restaurant.
On sunday the place was open until 9pm. (Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm. )
The rescue squad was called at 9:30 pm. So where were the rest of the employees when this happened? Josue was in this situation for approximately 45 minutes prior to the rescue squad being called. So that is not counting the time that it took them to capture Pedro and then for the sister to run back and forth with ice and water. They also took the time to get their stories straight prior to making the call. At that time, patrons and employees would have still been there I am sure.

As far as the sister goes, she was of age to know the differance between right and wrong. How could she not know that her actions were wrong. If she was abused also (she may not have been abused at all), with or without abuse to her there is no excuse for her participation in her brothers death. She could have ran for help. Just my opinion.

Thanks again.
All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

That is absolutely sickening. There is no punishment harsh enough for those people.

Little consolation but he probably did not know he was dying..

It is my understanding that hypothermia put a person to sleep before they day.

Not that it excuses these people...

I too wonder where the rest of the staff was??
Certainly he made noise at first??

Dark_shadows :blowkiss:

No doubt about it - the 19yo daughter knew right from wrong and she had a choice in this matter. Like you said, whatever it was that made this girl a willing participant in the abuse and torture of her brother doesn't matter because she had a choice. She's guilty and I hope she pays dearly.

I estimate that about an hour and a half was spent loading up the trash can with ice and water, torturing Josue, attempting to revive him and concocting their story. A start time of around 8p.m., maybe a little later.

I think one of the articles stated that the sister and male babysitter were either working alone that night, or were entirely alone in the restaurant. Maybe it's not a popular restaurant? Or maybe Josue was threatened or conditioned to stay quiet? But I think at least he'd be sobbing and begging... breaks my heart.

What a heartbreaking story.

His sweet little face reminds me of so many students.

I can't believe DCFS made such a bad call. At the very least, they could have required the whole family to take counseling while the little boy was put in temporary foster care.

Instead they left him in that home knowing SOMEONE was abusive.

And now he's dead, having paid with his short life for incompetence and generational cruelty and ignorance.

Dark_shadows :blowkiss:

No doubt about it - the 19yo daughter knew right from wrong and she had a choice in this matter. Like you said, whatever it was that made this girl a willing participant in the abuse and torture of her brother doesn't matter because she had a choice. She's guilty and I hope she pays dearly.

I estimate that about an hour and a half was spent loading up the trash can with ice and water, torturing Josue, attempting to revive him and concocting their story. A start time of around 8p.m., maybe a little later.

I think one of the articles stated that the sister and male babysitter were either working alone that night, or were entirely alone in the restaurant. Maybe it's not a popular restaurant? Or maybe Josue was threatened or conditioned to stay quiet? But I think at least he'd be sobbing and begging... breaks my heart.
Dearest Marie,:blowkiss:
Apparently it is a popular restaurant and bar. I cannot see just 2 people working in this place at that time of night. The last order taken would have been at 9pm. The events took place prior to that time. Where was everyone? (Bartender, hostess, waiters, cooks, manager, busboy,ect.)
Here is info from the link I posted earlier;

The Melting Pot - Salt Lake City
340 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

The Melting Pot - Salt Lake City writes...
The Melting Pot Restaurant offers the perfect setting for your dining experience. The Melting Pot's fondue style of dining features the finest four-course meals, fabulous wines, great cheeses, decadent chocolate, and a relaxed, upscale atmosphere. Our convenient downtown location, unique dining offerings, romantic decor and dedicated staff make The Melting Pot truly unique. The Melting Pot - Dip into Something Different.
Dining Style: Casual Elegant
Cuisine: Fondue, European
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross Street: Market
Menu: View menu on restaurant's website
Price: $31 to $50
Email: SLCreservations@meltingpotwest.com
Phone: (801) 521-6358
Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Thursday5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Payment Options:
AMEX, Carte Blanche, Diners Club, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
Dress Code: Business Casual
Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
Offers: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
Public Transit: Light rail - both Gallivan Center and Courthouse Stops.
Parking: Valet
Parking Details: There is valet service located at the intersection of Market and Main.
Banquet Facilities: There is a large party menu available for groups of up to 58; please call and speak with any manager for details.
Private Party Facilities: We have a semi-private party room accommodating up to 58 guests. Also, the entire restaurant is available for daytime functions. We will staff and serve your event with complete privacy.

All of my Love and Respect to you Marie,
dark_shadows

Hmm... this article says it was morning (I think from my 1st link).

Pedro Gaucin-Canales, a kitchen manager and Rebecca Hernandez-Velasco, daughter of Velasco and a prep-chef in the restaurant, were the only two at the Melting Pot that morning besides the boy, police say. Gaucin-Canales had Josue remove his clothing before putting him in a garbage can which his sister Hernandez-Velasco filled with ice water as part of a "disciplinary measure," according to the criminal charges.

But then the 2nd link says night:

Emergency crews responded to restaurant about 9:30 p.m. Sunday and found Josue dead.

It also says:
As police continue to investigate the alleged crime, other questions remain, such as why the Melting Pot employed undocumented immigrants and why a 9-year-old was allowed in the kitchen area of the restaurant.

One of those reports has to be wrong about the time. :waitasec:

No comment on the grounds I will get banned because I have a few thousand swear words that are dying to come out!

RIP little Prince.

Sami
:(

Little consolation but he probably did not know he was dying..

It is my understanding that hypothermia put a person to sleep before they day.

Not that it excuses these people...

I too wonder where the rest of the staff was??
Certainly he made noise at first??
thank god he probably did go numb and pass out in the end so he would not know he was dying. the pain he must have felt at the start when his muscles began to contract due to the extreme cold was unbearable i'm sure. i pray he slipped away quickly so he did not suffer long.

The first article says he was there 45 minutes as a diciplinary measure, but the second article says someone else FOUND the boy in there. Sounds like it wasn't really discipline if they had no intentions of pulling him out of there.

The first article says he was there 45 minutes as a diciplinary measure, but the second article says someone else FOUND the boy in there. Sounds like it wasn't really discipline if they had no intentions of pulling him out of there.
my understanding after reading all the articles and piecing it together...

they put him in for 45 minutes then took him out and figured out he was dead. then they staged the scene and came up with a cover story. then they called police. some of the mix up may come from this. the last link posted says
The kitchen manager discovered the child and called 911.
but if you go back and read the first link you will find this.
Pedro Gaucin-Canales, a kitchen manager and Rebecca Hernandez-Velasco, daughter of Velasco and a prep-chef in the restaurant, were the only two at the Melting Pot that morning besides the boy, police say. Gaucin-Canales had Josue remove his clothing before putting him in a garbage can which his sister Hernandez-Velasco filled with ice water as part of a "disciplinary measure," according to the criminal charges
the manager who found the body would be the same friend that is the murder.

I have always figured "discovered" meant you didn't know to begin with.

Oh well. It still stinks.
yeah that last link was from a report done the day it happened before the police knew how he died.the killer claimed he "discovered" the body. i always wonder in cases like this just how evil can people be. how can someone abuse a child to death is beyond me to begin with but then they are clear minded enough to come up with a cover story after they just killed a child.i have no hope of ever wrapping my head around that. not that i would want to...

Pedro Gaucin-Canales

Guilty Plea
Sentence Date: 06/05/2009

Offense: Child Abuse Homicide
Sentence: 1 - 15 years

Offense: Obstruction of Justice
Sentence: 1 - 15 years

Sentences are consecutive.
Projected Release Date: Unknown

Rebecca Hernandez-Velasco

Guilty Plea
Sentence Date: 06/05/2009