MI MI - Matthew Emmanuel Macon, Lansing, 2003-04

Autumn2004

Inactive
Reaction score
This guy has killed three older ladies in the last month and one was assaulted in their homes at night. This one hits close to home for me since one of these ladies is the mother to my husband's coworker. There is a picture on the link of the suspect and a map of the murders that have happened. They have definitely linked 4 together due to the same m.o. but there are 4 more near this area unsolved.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070828/NEWS01/708280342/1001/news

Thanks for the link Autumn2004. I really hope they catch this man. The other 4 unsolved cases in your area, do they fit his same "M.O."? It seems our local paper doesn't offer much information as far as other counties in MI go. I wish that in today's society with people moving around so much, they would send out these composites far and wide because you never know where a person comes from.

I am very sorry for your husband's co-worker. I hope there is quick resolution (and justice) in this case.

The police are barely releasing anything. Everything is very tight lipped. Im not sure if the others are the same m.o. or not but they have mentioned them being in the same area. Im glad one lady is still alive and was able to give a description but now with it being available he may move out of the area and set up somewhere else. Im not familiar with the area but if its where I think it is its not the best area to live. I get nervous myself having to go to downtown lansing and Im just driving through it.

The police are barely releasing anything. Everything is very tight lipped. Im not sure if the others are the same m.o. or not but they have mentioned them being in the same area. Im glad one lady is still alive and was able to give a description but now with it being available he may move out of the area and set up somewhere else. Im not familiar with the area but if its where I think it is its not the best area to live. I get nervous myself having to go to downtown lansing and Im just driving through it.

Hopefully the composite sketch in the paper will lead to his arrest. I don't blame you for feeling nervous even if you're only driving through. We have areas that I feel the same way about.

Again, thanks for posting the link. It can't hurt to get his "face" out here.

There is a second set of possibly similar unsolved homicides against women in Lansing, where the victims were slightly younger (36, 45, and 46).

Debra Renfors, age 46, was found slain inside a home at 1017 N. Washington Ave. on August 9th. Renfors had previously been homeless and, according to a neighbor, was trying to leave behind a life of prostitution.

An odd bit of info: "Debra Renfors' sister was with Lansing police identifying a suspect in another case when officers told her Debra was dead, their father said Saturday." Link

"Renfors' father ... said Monday that his daughter was planning to move out of the house the day she was found dead, saying he was mistaken when he told the State Journal on Saturday she was moving in." Link

Renfors'
killing was the second time a woman was murdered at 1017 N. Washington Ave., and the earlier slaying also remains unsolved. "[Renfors' neighbor] said Renfors knew 45-year-old Barbara Jean Tuttle, who in 2004 was found bludgeoned to death in the same house." Link

And, 2 days prior to Renfors' killing (i.e., on Tuesday, August 7th), the body of 36-year-old Deborah Kaye Cooke was found in Hunter Park. According to the Lansing State Journal, Cooke had a record of prostitution, and was "[f]ound naked in the park, beaten about the head and sexually assaulted." Link. Hunter Park is alleged to be a high-prostitution area.

Boyzmum- I havent been to downtown lansing for awhile but we did plan on going to the zoo which is right by there this weekend. We might put it on hold for a bit. Sandra Eichorn is the mother of my husband's coworker. She found out monday night at work when the cops showed up and they took her with them for more information regarding the case. She found out at work unfortunately.

Summerskye- Thanks for the links. I wonder if there is a copycat running around. Unless he changed his victim since the others were involved in prostitution.

Sewingdeb- thanks for posting the map. I was clicking around on the links. It breaks my heart to see all of these murders. I was surprised to see only six murders for such a big city last year. Flint which is about 45 minutes away and is much smaller has quite a bit more.

I see there was one this morning also :(http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070829/NEWS01/708290378/1312

Kingsbury also said she believes the person in the sketch is one of her former drug dealers. Kingsbury said she's been clean for year.

Im not sure if anything was taken from Sandra Eichorn's home and if she was robbed.

An arrest has been made! He is connected to 5 murders and one beating. It sounds like his crimes escalated from 2003 possibly.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070830/NEWS01/708300362

In the summer of 2003, Lansing police investigated a series of assaults on the city's west side in which a man appeared to target middle-aged and older women living alone. A composite sketch of that suspect appears strikingly similar to a sketch police released Tuesday.

Police never caught the 2003 suspect.
Ingham County District Attorney Stuart Dunnings was at the press conference.
"It's unprecedented for crimes of this magnitude to be solved in such a short time,” he said.

This is good news! Thanks for a link to the article, Autumn2004.

That's great news for the people of Lansing!

Photo of Offender

MATTHEW EMMANUEL MACON
MDOC Number: 376112
SID Number: 1569882J
Name: MATTHEW EMMANUEL MACON
Racial Identification: Black
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 155 lbs.
Date of Birth: 09/08/1979 (43)
Image Date: 9/15/2020