green_brenda.jpg

green_brenda2.jpg

green_brenda_ap.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: July 2, 1988 from Brookwood, Alabama
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: November 7, 1972
Height and Weight: 5'2, 106 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Green may dye her hair blonde, as shown in one of the photographs above. She has a scar on her left eyebrow.

Details of DisappearanceGreen departed from her family's residence in Brookwood, Alabama on July 2, 1988. She was accompanied by an unidentified male at the time. Green told her mother she was going to visit friends who lived in Abernant, Alabama, approximately ten miles northeast of her family's home. Green was last seen at a residence across the street from Hosmer's Grocery on Highway 216 in Abernant later during the day. She was dropped off by one of her friends at the house to visit other friends, but her friends weren't home and Green's driver left her standing on the doorstep. She has never been heard from again. Authorities believe she disappeared under suspicious circumstances. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office
205-752-0616

http://charleyproject.org/cases/g/green_brenda.html

Aug 35, 2002

One summer night in July 1988, Brenda Kay Green left her Brookwood home and never returned. Fourteen years later, hers is the only missing person case from Tuscaloosa County that remains unsolved.

Brenda's parents, Larry and Betty Green, say they have given up hope that their daughter will be found alive. "We thought she was alive for a long time; now we just assume she is dead," Betty Green said Friday. Fifteen year old Brenda left her home in Brookwood the afternoon of July 2, 1988. Her friend Wayne Dickey dropped her off at a home where some friends lived across from Hosmer's Grocery on Alabama Hwy 216. Dickey later told police that the friends weren't home and that he left her waiting on the front steps.

Brenda called home around 9:30pm and said she would be gone awhile longer. "That's the last I heard from her, and she never returned," her mother wrote in a statement to The Tuscaloosa News.

It was not believed that Brenda was kidnapped. She is listed as missing and endangered.

"A lot of time has passed with no word from her. That in itself is not a good sign," said Tuscaloosa County Metro Homicide Until commander Lt. Loyd Baker. He said there were no suspects in her disappearance."Investigators interviewed everyone who was involved with her. There was no evidence to show that they were involved in her disappearance," he said.

Betty Green said she and her husband were frustrated with the way the case was handled by authorities and the media. "I feel that the Sheriff's department and the Youth Aid department did not do an adequate job searching for her in the beginning," she said. She said officers treated the case as that of a runaway teenager, not a missing person.

"Yes, she had a history of running away as they classified it, but they did not know my daughter; they only went by hearsay of the other children," she said.

"She wasn't a runaway. She got mad at us a couple of times and left when she did not her way. She was never hard to find; a couple of calls and we knew where she was."

Baker was working in the Sheriff's Office's juvenile division in 1998, on the 10th anniversary of Brenda's disappearance.

Source: The Tuscaloosa Newspaper.

A snip from another Tuscaloosa Newspaper - dated July 9, 1998.

Brenda's boyfriend, who moved to Winston County, was suppose to pick her up the day she went missing, but her mother said he never arrived.

"She waited and waited for him but he never showed up and she was very upset about that. That's when she left with a male friend to go to Abernat," said Mrs. Green.

The friend who picked Brenda up later told police he dropped her off at another friend's house in the area. He said he doesn't know what happened to her afterwards.

Soon to be 26 years. I have seen a pattern of police not quickly investigating those deemed as runaways. I don't want to assume this was standard practice. With all the attention on cold cases in up north, perhaps there is hope that someone will remember something, or funding can be obtained for further investigation for this woman.

Charleyproject

Brenda departed from her family's residence in Brookwood, Alabama on July 2, 1988. She was accompanied by a male friend at the time. Brenda told her mother she was going to visit friends who lived in Abernant, Alabama, approximately ten miles northeast of her family's home.

Brenda was last seen at a residence across the street from Hosmer's Grocery on Highway 216 in Abernant later during the day. Her friend dropped her off at the house to visit other friends, but her friends weren't home and Brenda's driver left her standing on the doorstep, waiting for them to return.

At 9:30 p.m., Brenda called home and told her mother she wouldn't be home until later. She has never been heard from again.

Brenda had run away from home before, but she was never gone for very long. Police initially thought she had run away again when she disappeared in July 1988, but now they believe she disappeared under suspicious circumstances. Her case remains
unsolved.
Original

Who was she visiting? A bit odd she made a date with friend that didn't stay at home, and her driver and friend she left her at the doorsteps to wait.

From where did she make that call?My guess is that she went to some shop close to the residence of her friends that weren't home, OR possibly she knocked on a neighbours residence to call her parents. Could they ever track that call she made?

Lets assume her friend, who's been publicly named on an article BTW, was telling her truth.

Then my theory is that she waited, the friends didn't come back. She either hitchhiked to get home or she went to some other persons residence to use the phone or to catch a ride, and she was met with foul play in either case.

Another theory is ofcourse that her driver and friend killed her and made up that he left her by the door, or that the frieinds came home eventually and something bad happened over there. Sadlyt there are many possabilities here but none has a happy ending I believe.

• NCMEC: 768065
posterTitleMissing.png

Brenda Green
NCMC768065c1.jpg

• Missing Since
    • Jul 2, 1988
    • Missing From
    • Brookwood, AL
    • DOB
    • Nov 7, 1972
    • Age Now
    • Sex
    • Female
    • Race
    • White
    • Hair Color
    • Brown
    • Eye Color
    • Brown
    • Height
    • 5'2"
    • Weight
    • 106 lbs
Age Progressed
NCMC768065e1.jpg

Brenda's photo is shown age-progressed to 34 years. She was last seen leaving her home with a male companion. She has not been seen since and is considered at risk as lost, injured, or otherwise missing. She has a scar on her left eyebrow. Her hair may be dyed blonde.

Have you seen this child? BRENDA GREEN

Brenda Kay Green disappeared on July 2, 1988, at 15. She left her family’s home in Brookwood with a male friend and told her mother she was going to visit friends in Abernant, about 10 miles away. She was last seen that day at a home on Highway 216. Her friend dropped her off there. Though the people she was going to visit weren’t home, she wanted to wait for them and was last seen standing at the front door. She called her mother to say she wouldn’t be home until later. She was never heard from again. She had run away previously but didn’t stay gone long. Police believe foul play was involved in her disappearance.

Gone without a trace? Misery, mystery linger in these Alabama missing child cases

K45S3WD76NDF7CT26D343GL7TU.JPG

Hi. I'm new here. Although I don't remember knowing about this when it happened, I did go to the same high school at the same time with Brenda Kay Green. I recently came across the story again. I have a couple of questions: Did authorities determine where she made the 9:30 call from? Did they question the family who lived across from Hosmer's Store or any of the surrounding families/homes, of which there were probably 5-10? If she was at the home DIRECTLY across from the store, I know the name of the family but haven't seen any statement that was made by them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back