One Girl Dead, One Injured After Falling In Arizona Mine Shaft

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
CHLORIDE, Ariz. — Two girls riding an all-terrain vehicle fell into a mine shaft, killing one while the other remained trapped overnight, authorities said Sunday. The 10-year-old girl was pulled out in the morning with injuries.
A 13-year-old was found dead in the mine, sheriff's spokeswoman Patricia Carter said. The injured girl was being flown to a hospital for treatment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295541,00.html

How sad......what is an all terrain vechical?

It's like a three or four-wheeler.

The girls were half-sisters. I did hear that on the news. So sad. The 10-yo is in "grave condition", I heard, too. :(

Thanks mates..its what I thought it was.....we call them quad runners.

This is so sad. It makes you wonder how many kids have to die on these things before parents realize they are not toys.

I don't think the problem here is the ATV , rather the problem is the big hole they fell into that was not cordoned off or marked in any way. I grew up in Kingman AZ which is very close to there and these old mines were everywhere. I know drug dealers used to throw people who didn't pay up or whatever down the mineshafts. It would be in the newspaper every once in a awhile. You'd think they would do something about this problem by now. I was there in the 60's and 70's.

I don't think the problem here is the ATV , rather the problem is the big hole they fell into that was not cordoned off or marked in any way. I grew up in Kingman AZ which is very close to there and these old mines were everywhere. I know drug dealers used to throw people who didn't pay up or whatever down the mineshafts. It would be in the newspaper every once in a awhile. You'd think they would do something about this problem by now. I was there in the 60's and 70's.

Trixie, I agree that the mines are a serious danger. Someone on a horse or riding a bike could just as easily fall in.

Unfortunately I know two people personally who have lost a young family member on one of these vehicles in their own yard, and there have been multiple accidents in our area where children with no driver's license (and usually no helmet) are driving one and end up dead or seriously injured. Tragically they often also have several other younger children riding with them. It is illegal and often fatal, but many adults seem to think of them as toys.

Trixie, I agree that the mines are a serious danger. Someone on a horse or riding a bike could just as easily fall in.

Unfortunately I know two people personally who have lost a young family member on one of these vehicles in their own yard, and there have been multiple accidents in our area where children with no driver's license (and usually no helmet) are driving one and end up dead or seriously injured. Tragically they often also have several other younger children riding with them. It is illegal and often fatal, but many adults seem to think of them as toys.
They are deadly-I totally agree. Every child in our small neighborhood (even the really young ones) have them-except my kids. They ride them in and out of the dry creekbeds trying to make them do wheelies, on the roads,and everywhere else, with no shoes, shirts, and definitely no helmets. The closest thing they have to adult supervision is me sitting on my porch having a heart attack.

Bless their little hearts...

Very sad to hear about something like this happening...:(

Absolutely Angelmom I agree with you that they are dangerous for kids. No argument there. I was just referring to the mine also being dangerous.

They are deadly-I totally agree. Every child in our small neighborhood (even the really young ones) have them-except my kids. They ride them in and out of the dry creekbeds trying to make them do wheelies, on the roads,and everywhere else, with no shoes, shirts, and definitely no helmets. The closest thing they have to adult supervision is me sitting on my porch having a heart attack.

Yikes!

They scare me too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni