Reaction score
Winifred Corrine Long

long_winifred.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: June 10, 1962 from Marysville, California
Classification: Missing
Date of Birth: December 7, 1931
Height and Weight: 5'8, 140 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes.

Details of Disappearance
Long was last seen at the Greyhound bus station in Marysville, California on June 10, 1962. She disappeared after an argument with her estranged husband and has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

Investigating Agency

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Yuba County Sheriff's Department
530-749-7777

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/long_winifred.html

Winifred Corrine Long, 30, Missing since June 10, 1962 from Marysville, CA

----------------------------------------

It has been over 50 years since Winifred Corrine Long went missing.

-----------------------------------------

Winifred Corrine Long
Missing since June 10, 1962 from Marysville, Yuba County, California
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 7, 1931
Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Winifred Long, the mother of two small boys, was last seen on June 10, 1962 at the Greyhound Bus Station in Marysville, California, after an argument with her estranged husband.

Mrs. Long, disappeared after visiting her estranged husband, at his ranch at Smartville. The husband told police he drove Winifred to a bus station.

Long was a clerk-typist at Mill Valley, California, supermarket.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Yuba County Sheriff's Office
530-749-7777

Agency Case Number: 26742

Source Information:

The Doe Network: Case File 2385DFCA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2385dfca.html

My first reaction when reading the above summary:

So she was last seen at a bus station that her estranged husband drove her to after an argument. Is this last sighting based on the husband's testimony? Can anyone else independently confirm that she was at the bus station?

But then I read the Charley Project's more detailed summary of the case.

• "Prior to her disappearance, Long had said she felt anxious about the trip to the ranch." In fact, she "told her roommate, 'I'll be back for dinner. If I don't come back tonight, come and get me.'"

Her apprehension is all the more reason to be suspicious of the husband.

• Also, "records showed that no one had purchased a ticket to Mill Valley on the night of Long's disappearance... Long's husband volunteered to take a polygraph test shortly after her disappearance; the results were inconclusive."

To me, this supports my belief that the reported last sighting at the bus station was simply based on the husband's word. Having just argued with his estranged wife, he has a motive to be less than truthful.

• But then there's this: "He [the husband] was a Korean War veteran and had had both legs amputated due to war wounds."

What can a double-leg amputee have possibly done to her then... and how? I can't imagine brute force or violence. He could've poisoned her, killed her in her sleep (though she wasn't planning to stay over), but could he have hidden her body? Did he have someone else do it?

<modsnipped broken quote>

He could be very capable (see Oscar Pistorius, PeeWee Gaskins, etc.), and I wouldn't rule him out based on his handicap. You don't need legs to shoot a gun, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
He could be very capable (see Oscar Pistorius, PeeWee Gaskins, etc.), and I wouldn't rule him out based on his handicap. You don't need legs to shoot a gun, for example.

That's a good point! I wasn't aware of Oscar Pitorius' case, in particular—definitely an eye-opener. Thanks for sharing. I guess anything is possible!

Winifred Corrine Long
winifred_corrine_long_1.jpg
winifred_corrine_long_2.jpg

Long, circa 1962

Missing Since: June 10, 1962
Missing From: Marysville, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Race/Sex: White/Female
Date of Birth: December 7, 1931
Height: 5'8”
Weight: 140 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white blouse, red, blue and green checked capri pants and white shoes.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Long wore contact lenses at the time of her disappearance.

Details of Disappearance

Long was last seen in Marysville, California on June 10, 1962. She lived in the 30 block of Somerset Lane in Mill Valley, California. Her estranged husband had been taken their three-year-old son with him for a trip to a 320-acre cattle ranch near the Beale Air Force Base.

On June 10, Long left home with their one-year-old son. She said she planned to pick up her older son and take him back home, and she might leave the one-year-old with her husband. She told her roommate, "I'll be back for dinner. If I don't come back tonight, come and get me." Her roommate waited until the next day before reporting her disappearance to authorities.

The police went to the ranch and found Long's vehicle, but no sign of Long herself. Her husband stated that when she'd started to leave the ranch, her car's transmission broke down. She decided to take the bus home and leave the children with him, and he dropped her off at the Greyhound.

However, records showed that no one had purchased a ticket to Mill Valley on the night of Long's disappearance. She has never been heard from again.

At the time of her disappearance, Long was employed as a clerk/typist at the Safeway supermarket in Mill Valley; she'd been working there only about three weeks. She and her husband had separated two months before she went missing, but regularly met to exchange custody of their sons.

Long's husband volunteered to take a polygraph test shortly after her disappearance; the results were inconclusive. He was a Korean War veteran and had had both legs amputated due to war wounds.

Prior to her disappearance, Long had said she felt anxious about the trip to the ranch. Little information is available as to her fate.

Investigating Agency

Yuba County Sheriff's Department 530-749-7777
Agency Case Number: 26742

Source Information

The Doe Network
The Evening Independent

0 Unidentified Person Exclusions

He built a house on a 320 acre ranch by himself. He obviously could also dispose of her body in one of those many mine shafts talked about in the second article. I wonder what her sons think about her disappearance.

I wonder how a double amputee can build a house on his own? Or did he build it before he went to war and was injured?

Another worrying article, note it is Alvin Long, not Alfred
View attachment 219467
Wow! Just. Wow! So many questions. 58 years later, sigh.

Did anyone (LE?) verify that Winifred's station wagon was actually broken?

So, Alvin, being the kind hearted husband that he was, packed everyone into his usable vehicle, and drove the Mrs. to the bus station. Where he promptly dropped off Winifred, and immediately returned with the children to his ranch.

Ahhhh the 1960's.

I hope the boys grew up healthy and safe.

ETA: Interesting post and comments at 'Charley'. I believe this is okay here. If not, please feel free to report/delete as needed.

Thinking aloud about Winifred Long

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708