State Rep wants to arm teachers with guns

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1189319651113880.xml&coll=6

(You may need to enter a zip code to access article.)

Arming teachers with handguns would make students and terrorists think twice before attacking a school, said a West Michigan lawmaker who has proposed legislation to allow it.

"Right now, the only people who enter school with guns are people who intend to do harm," state Rep. David Agema, R-Grandville, said Saturday.

"I believe it will save lives if a kid or somebody comes into a school and starts shooting again."

School leaders and school security chiefs quickly took shots at Agema's proposed bill.

"I'm just left speechless by this," Grand Rapids Superintendent Bernard Taylor said. "It hurts to hear we've come to this, that we're so afraid of children that we think we need to be armed to work with them.

NOTE: Here is this idiot's email address if you'd like to voice your concerns to him: daveagema@house.mi.gov

I think that would just be asking for more trouble than we already have in our schools.

yeah, so they can get pi$$ed off and shoot our kids. how many articles have we been seeing lately about crazy teachers? yeah, they aren't all like that... but some are! you get a sampling of the general population, some are crazy... and some of those crazies are teachers! do you have ANY idea how my 1st grade teacher used to yell at us???!?!??!!? she was horrid! she never should have been around kids... she would have used it!!! :eek:

I think with proper training and a psych exam...I would prefer the teachers who passed the testing have guns in our schools to protect our children. It beats NO ONE having a way to stop the perps and being totally at their mercy. I agree with this guy. Get someone on our side armed and fast!! Why should our children be sitting ducks?!

Well, something has to be done that's for sure, your kids can't even go to school without getting shot at.

Fight fire with fire?

OH hell NO!!!!!!

ALL US schools have a resource officer and he or she does carry a gun.

If they need more then they can hire trained OD officers.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1189319651113880.xml&coll=6

(You may need to enter a zip code to access article.)

Arming teachers with handguns would make students and terrorists think twice before attacking a school, said a West Michigan lawmaker who has proposed legislation to allow it.

"Right now, the only people who enter school with guns are people who intend to do harm," state Rep. David Agema, R-Grandville, said Saturday.

"I believe it will save lives if a kid or somebody comes into a school and starts shooting again."

School leaders and school security chiefs quickly took shots at Agema's proposed bill.

"I'm just left speechless by this," Grand Rapids Superintendent Bernard Taylor said. "It hurts to hear we've come to this, that we're so afraid of children that we think we need to be armed to work with them.

NOTE: Here is this idiot's email address if you'd like to voice your concerns to him: [EMAIL="daveagema@house.mi.gov"]daveagema@house.mi.gov[/EMAIL]

:rolleyes: Obviously, they let the lunatics out of the asylum and someone voted one into office.

OH hell NO!!!!!!

Yes, and we can see how well this has worked when it has come right down to it! The resource officers or off-duty officers aren't in the room where our children are lined up against a wall and fired on.

I want someone inside the classroom with the ability to stop this scenario from playing out. An armed guard isn't going to be where he is needed to prevent another VT or Colombine, unfortunately. I am not willing to keep losing our children to this insanity (as in doing the same thing in the same exact way...and expecting a different outcome). We must level the field when it comes to either students or crazy gunmen walking into an unarmed school full of people and being free to shoot until the bullets run out.

My children would not be attending a school where every teacher had a gun in his desk drawer. No way.

Yes, and we can see how well this has worked when it has come right down to it! The resource officers or off-duty officers aren't in the room where our children are lined up against a wall and fired on.

I want someone inside the classroom with the ability to stop this scenario from playing out. An armed guard isn't going to be where he is needed to prevent another VT or Colombine, unfortunately. I am not willing to keep losing our children to this insanity (as in doing the same thing in the same exact way...and expecting a different outcome). We must level the field when it comes to either students or crazy gunmen walking into an unarmed school full of people and being free to shoot until the bullets run out.

Why does the scenario of hiring off duty police not provide someone in the room who is armed and trained???

Furthermore, the school could install metal detectors at the doors so no guns get in.

The idea of teachers having guns ... or guns in general in the classroom with those not trained to use them could lead to even more sad scenarios.
Teachers are there to teach not be armed gaurds.
If the school wants armed gaurds then they need to hire them.

OH hell NO!!!!!!

Actually, not all US schools have a resource officer and of those who do, there are school boards who will not allow the officers to carry guns.

I don't think teachers should have guns no matter how trained they are. I was a teacher-I can handle a gun. I have known how to use one since I was five due to familial circumstances and need. I have never had to use one and I hope I never do. I also know that things happen quickly in a classroom and that there is more of a likelihood for misuse, theft, etc., than "salvation." That said, one of my teachers kept a gun locked in the glovebox of her car--UNTIL she discovered her son and a friend in the car at lunchtime listening to the radio! They weren't supposed to be out there, but they were. :(

I used to think that if a teacher passed a psych exam and was former military that it might work. Since then, I've met one crazy *advertiser censored* teacher who is former military and who has passed psych exams. #1 I don't want him to have a gun. #2 I could probably get it away from him. (He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.)

Politicians need to keep their noses out of the classrooms--ESPECIALLY since they won't send THEIR children to public schools. More local control is needed!!!!

Getting off the soapbox now. . . .Wandering away to my corner.

Why does the scenario of hiring off duty police not provide someone in the room who is armed and trained???

Furthermore, the school could install metal detectors at the doors so no guns get in.

The idea of teachers having guns ... or guns in general in the classroom with those not trained to use them could lead to even more sad scenarios.
Teachers are there to teach not be armed gaurds.
If the school wants armed gaurds then they need to hire them.

One argument against metal detectors brought up in our district was that if someone wanted to get a gun in, they could bring it in through a window. If they really want to bring a gun in to school, someone will find a way. Glad to say we have detectors in schools that are in high-crime areas.

The rates of suicide, accidental injuries and death occur more when there is a handgun in the home. I can only assume this goes for the school as well.

Aren't there prisons where the guards aren't even allowed to have guns?!

I say, no guns in school unless it's with the security staff, and even then I'm not happy with him/her carrying it around all day.

If teachers carried handguns in our district, I would pull my kids out.

Are we talking about all schools or city schools? And who is the gun supposed to protect? The students, or the teacher's from the students?

I would imagine the gov't could only mandate this for public schools.

So I guess we are protecting the students from other students and terrorists.

Personally I think he threw "terrorists" in there to get people to agree with him. I'm trying to think of the last time a terrorist (as we know them) entered a school and killed a bunch of people. :waitasec: :rolleyes: If a terrorist, as we know them, is going to do something at a school site, you can bet a handgun probably won't deter him.

I have been blessed with a number of great teachers who dramatically changed my life for the better.

But I've also had a number of teachers who couldn't be trusted with a textbook, much less a gun.

This notion is madness!

Well, something has to be done that's for sure, your kids can't even go to school without getting shot at.

Fight fire with fire?
I can see where you think that but it is not commonplace for this to happen. Think about all the schools prek-12 and the colleges and it does not happen that much, you make it sound like kids get shot daily at school. IMO it has happened too much but to arm teachers is a mistake.

Geez, it makes me glad Im homeschooling! I live in Michigan and this freaks me out. My sister and her husband work in local school districts and they have talked about how some of the teachers are especially after tenure when its harder to get them out.

We did have the youngest school shooting, between two 5 year olds, but I dont think this is the answer either. The answer should be metal detectors and PD at the schools with an alarm system to keep guns and predators out of there.

This doesn't surprise me since we are a state that supposedly cant afford a fence to keep the criminally insane from getting out of the building! They will always take the cheapest way out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back