KY KY - Erica Fraysure, 17, Brooksville, 21 Oct 1997

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Cold Case detectives in Ohio and kentucky are comparing two murder mysteries. The disappearances eight years ago of two dark haired young women in two months. There are similarities in the Laney Gwinner case in Butler County and Erica Fraysure in Bracken County. The one big difference is that Fraysure is still missing. Local 12's Deborah Dixon has exclusive details from the tiny town still haunted by the teen's disappearance.
http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=4D0D3EFB-E167-42F5-AD0C-07E55B7F2683

Erica's website:
http://www.angelfire.com/ar/elayson/ericaf.html

Laney Gwinner's website:
http://www.geocities.com/JusticeForLaney/

Local LE has identified some similiarities between Erica's disappearance and Laney's disapppearance and murder.
I am struck by some other similiarities. Erica's car was found. Her purse and other belongings were in it. She was last known to be driving. Even though they happen in different states, there are several girls with the same story.

It would be interesting for someone to collect info on the disappearance's and with the same type of story. I wonder if there could be a connection. It seems odd to me that in many different states, the story is the same. They were last known to be in their cars, the cars are found, the person hasn't, and their belongings including their purses are found in their cars.

I am starting to think Erica and Laney's case could be connected. Lots of links out there suggest related info....

I am new to this board and this is my first post.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fraysure_erica.html

I currently live less than a mile from the spot where Erica dissappeared. I did not personally know Erica, but the case disturbs me, I feel so sad for her mother.

There are some things that I wonder about.
1. The psychic. I'm not sure I believe in them, but when Ms.Brown suggested they search a body of water, they searched a local lake with no results. There is another local lake, actually a reservoir, only a little farther from the scene that, to my knowledge,was never searched.
I have never been to the reservoir and I understand that the area around it is quite dense and overgrown. But, if she had been killed by someone local (everyone knows where the reservoir is) wouldn't it be a reasonable place to hide a body? I believe that the woods surrounding the reservoir is often used for deer hunting, so some people could know the area quite well.

2. Was Erica killed by a serial killer? As I've seen on another thread, there are a few cases that could be similar to Erica's.
Laney Gwinner,
Carrie Culberson
Heather Teague
Kristina Porco
SHaylene Farrell
Katherin Fetzer
Regina Renee Cox

The case that sounds the most similar to me is Regina Renee Cox.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cox_regina.html

I would love to know what you guys think.
bracken123

Welcome to the boards Bracken (careful, it becomes addictive).

I agree that seems like a strange case and very similar to Regina's (same age, car found abandoned nearby, keys missing, purse and belongings still in the car, etc.). This is the first I have heard of either case, so will need to do some more research. How far away is Somerset from Brooksville? Have there been any articles written that discuss the similarities? I would like to look into the other cases you mentioned too.

Somerset is about 3 hours from Brooksville. I haven't seen anything about a possible relationship between the 2 cases, but just reading about them, they sound similar.

Brooksville is a very small town, population appx 600. THere is not even a stop light in town. Somerset has a population of appx 11000. Somerset is in the Lake Cumberland area, popular for tourists,boaters etc.

I have heard many rumors about Erica - in a town as small as ours it is expected. Rumors involving the man who killed himself (and his lovely girlfriend)after the psychic Sylvia Brown mentioned him on the Montel show. But according to the State Police, he had an alibi for the night of Erica's disappearance. I don't know what the alibi was, if it involved his girlfriend or not. But if his alibi did involve his girlfriend, it would make the murder/suicide make more sense. Their murder/suicide was a huge shock to the community and their families.

I would hate to think that her abductor is someone that lives in my hometown,someone I know personally. I would also hate to think that a serial killer is responsible for her dissappearance. Just living that close to evil frightens me. Every time I see a young girl walking up and down our new sidewalks, I think I hope she makes it home tonight. Sometimes I think that our residents have forgotten about Erica, the 10 year anniversary of her disappearance is coming up next month. I sure wish some evidence would come to light to give her poor mother some peace. The not knowing I'm sure is the worst.

Apparently there were a few people that were given lie detector tests, but nothing ever came from them. One person who refused the test was Shane Simcox. See http://www.kypost.com/news/1997/simcox112197.html
He also worked on a hog farm at the time - I'm not sure where. Didn't serial killers Robert Pinckton and Belle Gunness use the hogs to dispose of the bodies of their victims. ANyone who has ever been around a hog knows that they will eat "anything".

Another case that has been noted to be similar to Erica's is Laney Gwinner, Laney disappeared from Fairfield OH about 75 miles from Brooksville.

"There is a profile by the FBI of a person of interest, a sociopath who may have had a history of animal abuse, strained family ties and they may have been in jail at one time or another. They tend to keep to themselves so much they have few friends and nobody they would confide in. They would be capable of killing someone and disposing of the body without ever feeling the need to share the information with anyone," he said. "They wouldn't brag about it."

It is also believed the person was from the community, familiar with the area and may still maintain a local address while moving around a lot. By local, police were not limiting the address to Brooksville, but including surrounding communities and cities.
http://www.maysville-online.com/articles/2007/10/21/local_news/1964erica.txt

http://www.maysville-online.com/articles/2007/10/21/local_news/1964erica.txt

"There is a profile by the FBI of a person of interest, a sociopath who may have had a history of animal abuse, strained family ties and they may have been in jail at one time or another. They tend to keep to themselves so much they have few friends and nobody they would confide in. They would be capable of killing someone and disposing of the body without ever feeling the need to share the information with anyone," he said. "They wouldn't brag about it."

It is also believed the person was from the community, familiar with the area and may still maintain a local address while moving around a lot. By local, police were not limiting the address to Brooksville, but including surrounding communities and cities.

I strongly feel that Erica Fraysure's and Regina Cox's cases are related. Both of their cars were found abandoned with all their belongings inside. Neither of the girls' keys were ever found. Both were of about the same age, and seemed to have no reason to disappear willingly. There is another missing persons case from Lexington, KY about the same time as these two. The girl's name was Lydia Ann Perkins. Again, no evidence was found in this case either. The only difference in the cases is that Lydia was too young to drive. But still, they all three fall under the same time frame. I feel the FBI should be involved more in all these cases.

Any case involving a person missing with the car found abandoned in a random area is concerning, and their are many of them. I just wonder how the perp intercepts them while they are driving?
Did she stop to pick up a hitch hiker, or did something along the road get her attention, making her pullover and get abducted? Did she plan to meet with someone, and it went all wrong? Was this done by someone she knew, was it random? Her case is very similar to Regina Cox, could this be a serial killer?

Shane Simcox-the guy she was giving a ride home to-seems to be the main suspect. He refused to cooperate or take a lie detector test. I believe he killed her sometime between the Video-N-Tan and his home. Maybe a sexual attempt by him gone all wrong??
The similarities between her case and Laney's is eeire though, I wonder is Simcox had any kind of connection with Laney as well?
I do hope she is found to be laid to rest. She had sooo much going for her.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fraysure_erica.html

Over the 15½ years Fraysure has been missing, her family members have visited every town in the area and exhausted every effort to find the teen. They have even been featured on "The Montel Williams Show" and consulted a psychic.

Scott and Kentucky State Police detectives have poured over every detail of Fraysure's car, purse and interviewed each high school girl attending a Bracken County School at the time. But leads ran dry.

Now, in the wake of missing women found alive in Cleveland, those in the Tri-State hear a renewed call for any tip that may lead investigators to what is now a 31-year-old woman or her remains.

"You remember to at least have some kind of hope," said Scott.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news.../20056714/-/f5fnvg/-/index.html#ixzz2ouIopjCW

The young man that killed himself. Did his albi ever checked out!? what was his alibi? What would be his reason for killing himself!? Very Odd! Why would the mother than try to sue the Montel Williams Show?

I strongly believe someone Erica knew lured her out of that car.

Search for answers spans 18 years

http://www.maysville-online.com/news/local/search-for-answers-spans-years/article_23f068a2-f126-5b91-a883-527568b3d0c4.html

Though she has been missing for 18 years, the memory of Erica Fraysure and the search that followed her disappearance in Bracken County continues.

Kentucky State Police still have Fraysure's case open in the cold case investigation unit, police said on Thursday.

In the ensuing years there has been annual media attention, tips called in to police in state and local jurisdictions, and even a national attention when the case was mentioned on the Montel Williams Show with the late Sylvia Brown.

According to Bracken County Sheriff's Detective Bob Scott, who was with KSP in 1997, he continues to review leads or tips and passes the information on to KSP.

“There is nothing new on the case,” Scott said on Thursday.

Fraysure had no inclination to run away from home, family members said at the time she disappeared.

Several people with alleged information were polygraphed, yet in 2011 Fraysure's mother, Maggie Doherty, died not knowing what happened to her daughter.

56292eb0298ab.image.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back