Resolved OH - Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

mjcroftvan

Reaction score
  • My grandmother Mary J Croft Vangilder Has Been Missing since 1945.Ihave searched for 13 years , And my Aunts have as well. She was From wvA. But Moved to plymouth ohio to work in a war plant, She filed for divorce and withdrew her petition and no one has heard from her since,she would be 96. Can anyone help

• My grandmother Mary J Croft Vangilder Has Been Missing since 1945.Ihave searched for 13 years , And my Aunts have as well. She was From wvA. But Moved to plymouth ohio to work in a war plant, She filed for divorce and withdrew her petition and no one has heard from her since,she would be 96. Can anyone help

Have you contacted Social Security? They would have a record of her working if she did and also her last known address. Weren't the war plants owned by the government? Maybe they have a record some place? What have you done in your search to try and find her?

Can you give more information? What was her birthdate? Did she have any nicknames? Did she have any brothers/sisters she may have contacted? Do you have a physical description (from 1945) for her?
(Color of eyes, hair, etc) Was Croft her maiden name? Did she go to the war plant by herself or with a friend? We need more info to help you!

There is a Mary J Croft in the social security death index with a birthdate of July 11, 1911 (the year I am guessing she was born if she would be 96 now). It states that the social security card was issued in Ohio, and her last known residence was Campbell, KY. It states that she died July 9, 1994. If you think this may be her, I can email or PM you the social. You can then followup with social security to find her next of kin etc.

She filed for divorce and withdrew her petition and no one has heard from her since

That sends up a red flag IMO. Why would she withdraw the petition? Was her husband perhaps threatening her? Divorce wasn't so common back then like today; maybe he was ashamed his wife wanted to leave him, or some other reason.

Were your grandfather's whereabouts known after the time of her disappearance?

There is a Mary J Croft in the social security death index with a birthdate of July 11, 1911 (the year I am guessing she was born if she would be 96 now). It states that the social security card was issued in Ohio, and her last known residence was Campbell, KY. It states that she died July 9, 1994. If you think this may be her, I can email or PM you the social. You can then followup with social security to find her next of kin etc.

I'm guessing nothing came of this?

Missing Person Case
Thumbnail

MISSING
Missing Person / NamUs #MP52034Mary Jane Vangilder, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactFebruary 14, 1945
Missing FromPlymouth, Ohio

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age33 Years
Current Age106 Years
First NameMary
Middle NameJane
Last NameVangilder
Nickname/Alias--

SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Height4' 11" - 5' 5" (59 - 65 Inches)
Weight115 - 150 lbs
Circumstances
Date of Last ContactFebruary 14, 1945
NamUs Case CreatedAugust 30, 2018
Last Known Location Map
LocationPlymouth, Ohio
CountyRichland County
Circumstances of DisappearanceMary left her family in West Virginia to move to Ohio. She worked at the Wilkins Army Air Force Depot in Shelby, Ohio, but lived in Plymouth, Ohio. Mary had filed for divorce from her husband but withdrew the petition on 02/14/1945. She was in touch with her children via mail but all contact abruptly stopped. She has not been seen or heard from since.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionThick brown/auburn, wavy hair
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye DescriptionSlightly uneven and slanted eye shape, possibly hazel in color
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Other distinctive physical characteristic
Thin lips, thick eyebrows, freckles across bridge of nose

3950DFOH - Mary Jane Croft Vangilder
3950DFOH.jpg
3950DFOH1.jpg

Name: Mary Jane Croft Vangilder
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: February 14, 1945
Location Last Seen: Shelby, Richland County, Ohio

Physical Description
Date of Birth: November 19, 1911
Race: White
Height: 4' 11" - 5'5"
Weight: 115-150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown/Auburn, Long, Down to shoulders
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Thin lips, Thick eyebrows, Freckles across bridge of nose

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mary Vangilder left her family in West Virginia to move to Ohio. She worked at the Wilkins Army Air Force Depot in Shelby, Ohio, but lived in Plymouth, Ohio. Mary had filed for divorce from her husband ,but withdrew the petition on 02/14/1945. She was in touch with her children via mail but all contact abruptly stopped. She has not been seen or heard from since.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Shelby Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Adam Turner
Agency Phone Number: 419-347-2242
Agency E-Mail: adam.turner@shelbypd.org
Agency Case Number: 18-22120

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 52034

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Family Member

Admin Notes
Added: 10/23/18; Last Updated: 10/23/18

I'm purely speculating here...I'm wondering if Mary Jane is being compared with UP2304. This guess is based on observations I've made about the timing between her case being entered on 8/30 and the UP2304 case being updated on 9/17 and 10/31. All parameters would match up and the pictures do look similar. But again, it's just a guess.

3950DFOH - Mary Jane Croft Vangilder
3950DFOH.jpg
3950DFOH1.jpg

Name: Mary Jane Croft Vangilder
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: February 14, 1945
Location Last Seen: Shelby, Richland County, Ohio

Physical Description
Date of Birth: November 19, 1911
Race: White
Height: 4' 11" - 5'5"
Weight: 115-150 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown/Auburn, Long, Down to shoulders
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Thin lips, Thick eyebrows, Freckles across bridge of nose

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Mary Vangilder left her family in West Virginia to move to Ohio. She worked at the Wilkins Army Air Force Depot in Shelby, Ohio, but lived in Plymouth, Ohio. Mary had filed for divorce from her husband ,but withdrew the petition on 02/14/1945. She was in touch with her children via mail but all contact abruptly stopped. She has not been seen or heard from since.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Shelby Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Adam Turner
Agency Phone Number: 419-347-2242
Agency E-Mail: adam.turner@shelbypd.org
Agency Case Number: 18-22120

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 52034

Information Source(s)
NamUs
Family Member

Admin Notes
Added: 10/23/18; Last Updated: 10/23/18
This is my grandmother, we have been searching for her for many years. Praying for a resolution

I'm purely speculating here...I'm wondering if Mary Jane is being compared with UP2304. This guess is based on observations I've made about the timing between her case being entered on 8/30 and the UP2304 case being updated on 9/17 and 10/31. All parameters would match up and the pictures do look similar. But again, it's just a guess.
I do believe she is one they are looking into, the detective has not confirmed yet. I am her granddaughter

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back