OH - Juan Ruiz for rape, attempted murder, Cleveland, 2007

JanetElaine

Reaction score
I'm saying boy, because he is 17 years old. I've been following this story here since it was in this area. Not sure why I never thought to post it here though. But today was the sentencing.

Juan Ruiz, 17, of Cleveland will spend the next 27 years behind bars for raping his ex-girlfriend, 18-year-old Johanna Orozco at knifepoint and, at a later date, shooting her in the face.

[snip]

Earlier this year, Orozco filed a restraining order against Ruiz, who was then sentenced to a juvenile detention center.

A judge later released Ruiz from the facility and ordered him to home confinement, which required wearing an electronic monitoring device.

A few days after he was released, Ruiz shot Orozco in the face, shattering her jaw.

http://www.myfoxcleveland.com/myfox...=20&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

There is also a picture at the link of Johanna before the attack, and video and pics of her taking the stand yesterday.

I'm so proud of her for showing her face to him. She's a strong young woman, and I hope she does help others like she says she wants to.

I think his intent was to kill her. I think 27 yrs is a long time, but he deserves it. What do you think, JanetElaine?

I drove by the Justice Center the other night and wondered what's going on in the July 4th/Shooting Fireman case. Have you heard anything?

The first crime I remember hearing about was a crime that happened to someone dear to me when I was only 11 yrs old. Shanna and her family were close friends to my immediate family. Shanna was 18, beautiful, smart and heading to college on a 4 year scholarship. She broke up with her boyfriend the day she was leaving to go away to school. He came to her house as she was getting ready to leave. He rang the door bell, Shanna opened the door and was shot in the face. She died.

I don't think it is NEAR long enough. He deserves at least 40 years IMO with no time off for good behavior. JMO:mad:

The first crime I remember hearing about was a crime that happened to someone dear to me when I was only 11 yrs old. Shanna and her family were close friends to my immediate family. Shanna was 18, beautiful, smart and heading to college on a 4 year scholarship. She broke up with her boyfriend the day she was leaving to go away to school. He came to her house as she was getting ready to leave. He rang the door bell, Shanna opened the door and was shot in the face. She died.

I'm so sorry, philamena. I don't understand what makes men feel so possessive that they have to kill the girl that breaks up with them. What lessons aren't getting taught in childhood?

I hope this murderer is still in jail.

I agree that this girl was very courageous to show her face in the court. I wonder if she keeps it covered all of the time when she is in public? She was such a pretty girl in the one picture before she was shot. I wonder if she is able to have more plastic surgery as time goes by? I'm glad that she stood and faced her ex-boyfriend and read that poem to him. Hopfully that will make him think. He deserves the 27 yrs that he got. That's a long time to spend in prison but this girl might have to look that way for the rest of her life. Maybe he should have gotten a LWOP sentence but of course the law never works the way we think it should.

Watching that video made me cry. Seeing that beautiful girl, her life chnaged forever by some punk that couldn't take rejection. I don't think his sentence was nearly long enough.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back