Appeals Court Nixes Pregnancy Ban on Homeless NY Couple

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score

ROCHESTER, New York — A family court judge overstepped her authority by ordering a drug-addicted homeless couple to have no more children, a state appeals court ruled in overturning the ban.

Judge Marilyn O'Connor banned Stephanie Pendleton and Rodney Evers in 2004 from having more children until they could get back the four children they lost to foster care, three of whom tested positive for cocaine at birth.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298577,00.html

ROCHESTER, New York — A family court judge overstepped her authority by ordering a drug-addicted homeless couple to have no more children, a state appeals court ruled in overturning the ban.

Judge Marilyn O'Connor banned Stephanie Pendleton and Rodney Evers in 2004 from having more children until they could get back the four children they lost to foster care, three of whom tested positive for cocaine at birth.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298577,00.html

Sorry, but in some cases I think mandatory sterilization is the only option. I know some conspiracy theorists think it could be extended in ways we can't even imagine and used for evil purposes. But the drug-addicted have no business bearing children who end up damaged from the get-go.

Sorry, but in some cases I think mandatory sterilization is the only option. I know some conspiracy theorists think it could be extended in ways we can't even imagine and used for evil purposes. But the drug-addicted have no business bearing children who end up damaged from the get-go.
Exactly! I totally agreed with the judge on this particular case. Having a child that is addicted to drugs makes me think the parents need to be put in jail for child abuse and child endangerment.

I like that judge. If people have no common sense or any sense of responsibility, then someone needs to step in. People really should not be producing children for whom they cannot or will not provide.

Yeah, I know. It can be the proverbial slippery slope, but what about the lives of those poor children they produce? What chance do they have in life if they are born damaged because of their "producers'" poor choices? There are enough children born with problems through no one's fault, but that is a totally different situation.

How about the courts offering reduced charges if they will go for free tubal ligations and vasectomies (paid for by the state) and letting it be the defendant's choice? That way the civil libertarians couldn't complain. It would cost the state less than paying for foster care in the long run.

I hope that makes sense y'all.

I think people who can't straighten up enough to get their kids back within a reasonable amount of time or at least be able to work and pay for other people to care for them should be put in prison where they won't be getting or getting anyone pregnant. In other words, it should be a serious crime to have kids taken away due to drugs and neglect, but it's not.

How about the courts offering reduced charges if they will go for free tubal ligations and vasectomies (paid for by the state) and letting it be the defendant's choice? That way the civil libertarians couldn't complain. It would cost the state less than paying for foster care in the long run.

I hope that makes sense y'all.

That sounds good to me.

So who is going to be responsible for the new children these people have?
I've seen first hand the results of people who should not breed, it's a horrible situation.

VB

So who is going to be responsible for the new children these people have?
I've seen first hand the results of people who should not breed, it's a horrible situation.

VB
I agree Vegas. I have seen parents treat their children horrible. I have had them tell me they don't have "time" to listen to their child read 15-20 minutes a night. Yet you had the "time" to SCR*W when getting pregnant with them didn't ya!?!!?!:razz::snooty::rolleyes: Mean parents piss me off BIG TIME!!! Using drugs while pregnant should be a crime punishable with severe jail time!

There was a woman a few years back that offered $200 to any drug addict that would agree to be sterilized or get Norplant. There was a big uproar accusing her of trying to eliminate certain races because the drug user population was so much higher in some non-white races. As I remember she even adopted several children born to addicts, many of which had serious health issues.

I understand the slippery slope issue, but I don't think bearing children is a right, when the children are scarred before they are born because their mother can't stay away from drugs.

There was a woman a few years back that offered $200 to any drug addict that would agree to be sterilized or get Norplant. There was a big uproar accusing her of trying to eliminate certain races because the drug user population was so much higher in some non-white races. As I remember she even adopted several children born to addicts, many of which had serious health issues.

I understand the slippery slope issue, but I don't think bearing children is a right, when the children are scarred before they are born because their mother can't stay away from drugs.

Amen; it should be a felony to take drugs or abuse alcohol when pregnant.

Sorry I have to agree that they should mandatory sterlize this couple. I am training for CASA and sat in on a hearing the other day, a Report N Review court hearing. I cannot declare much info because of confidentiality but the bio mother in this case is just as bad, or worse than the woman in this article. It also involves ICWA and the mom and Dad are both total losers. The state has terminated their rights but the tribe is appealing. The tribe, not the parent because they do not give a crap and have essentially abandoned all the kids at birth. Sad huh. Oh yeah mom just had another baby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back