GUILTY FL - Levares Key, 8, beaten to death, Orlando, 29 Sept 2007

Wow, this is so sad. Is this whole world going mad? How about just ratting out the brother? That's what happened in our house. My younger brother was the "snitch" in our family. I could always count on my daughter to let me know what was going on (for the most part) in our family. This is just so sad...

Are our children becoming so much more violent because of what they are seeing on TV...or is it the video games, or is it the environment that they are living in?

My sister was the snitch. Often she'd start a quarrel and when my youngest sister or I defended ourselves, she'd run to Mama in tears, getting us in trouble.

These children's mother must have severly beaten those kids, if the boy thought killing his brother as an alternate to his mother's wrath when she got home..

These children's mother must have severly beaten those kids, if the boy thought killing his brother as an alternate to his mother's wrath when she got home..

I agree..this 13 year old didn't learn this behaviour on his own, he is also a victim.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- A 13-year-old choked and beat his 8-year-old brother to death because the younger boy ate a dessert and the older one worried he would be blamed, authorities said Wednesday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BOY_KILLED_DESSERT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I wonder what kind of "discipline" was used in that home that made the older child SO frightened about being blamed for eating the dessert? I bet this 13 year old is an abused child. I'd bet money on it.

--->>>I think you have an astute observation here.

Another note, on the top left of the news link provided, it reads, TBO.com Live in the Moment. I believe this is a major part of our problem today, too many live in the 'moment' without thinking about the consequences of their actions. The article also notes that the 'type' of desert was not mentioned. WHO would care - when murder has been done? I think this case will make NATIONAL headlines and be followed to the bitter end.

I also wonder IF there is a present 'father' figure in the home. Article says the mom has an unlisted telephone. Just thinking outside the box here, but perhaps if no dad, an unlisted phone, perhaps violence was a learned behavior for the 13 year old boy, if not from his mother, from his father. Another sad day for America and the remaining siblings.

I wonder what kind of "discipline" was used in that home that made the older child SO frightened about being blamed for eating the dessert? I bet this 13 year old is an abused child. I'd bet money on it.

While unfortunately this is probably the case, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the parents. I know a few 12-14 year olds who are very bad and manipulative kids. The one in particular that comes to mind, is very good with mind games, and can expertly point the blame on anyone for his reasons of acting out, he also can lie better than a fisherman. His parents are good people with a problem child. Parents just don't cause all mental illness/problems. Some are actually caused by other factors. 13 year olds are pretty smart, and they learn a lot in school about child abuse, domestic violence etc. There is a good possibility he ate the dessert, the little brother was going to tell on him, and he beat the tar (death) out of him. Hopefully an autopsy was done, and the contents of his stomach checked. I think this kid knew he could put a spin on this to make his parents look like they where the bad ones.

While unfortunately this is probably the case, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the parents. I know a few 12-14 year olds who are very bad and manipulative kids. The one in particular that comes to mind, is very good with mind games, and can expertly point the blame on anyone for his reasons of acting out, he also can lie better than a fisherman. His parents are good people with a problem child. Parents just don't cause all mental illness/problems. Some are actually caused by other factors. 13 year olds are pretty smart, and they learn a lot in school about child abuse, domestic violence etc. There is a good possibility he ate the dessert, the little brother was going to tell on him, and he beat the tar (death) out of him. Hopefully an autopsy was done, and the contents of his stomach checked. I think this kid knew he could put a spin on this to make his parents look like they where the bad ones.
Sadly, that makes a lot of sense.

According to the article linked by the OP, the 8 y/o was an unwanted child. The mother gave him to a woman (boy's godmother) when he was one month old. He came back to his mother just recently. The mother asked her other children to help her beat the 8 y/o, and they held him up off the ground while the mother beat him.

The 13 y/o knew that it was fine with his mother if he beat on the little brother, and LE said that she left the boy alone with the other children, knowing that his life would be in danger. That's why she is in jail.

Some mom.

There were also old injuries to this boy. The boy was a punching bag.

I wonder why mother hated him so.

That poor little boy. Give him to me, I wouldn't beat him if he ate my chocolate! I might ground him, but I surely wouldn't beat him over something like that. If only, if only somehow time could be turned back and this caused to happen... He was only eight. This makes me cry. Over chocolate?! I hope the mother gets life in prison, she moulded her children to grow like that! :furious: Look at how many young lives never really had a chance because of her brutality!

This is so sad and senseless! That poor little boy! How could a mother allow this? Never mind...I know how. I had one of my son's friend live with us for almost 2 years. His mother always brutalized him and told him the most awful things! He was 17 when he lived with me. I noticed a pillow and blanket in my son's car early one morning. My son said his friend had no where to go and he let him sleep in his car. I took him in and he was the most respectful, honest kid. The kid just broke down crying one night about 4 months later when I was talking to him and told me everything. He said he didn't know why she hated him and always beat him until he was 15 when she told him she wanted an abortion but it was too late, his dad (her boyfriend at the time) raped her, he didn't look like the other kids she had, he always was blamed and beat him bloody for what his siblings did. She had him locked in juvenile detention numerous times and lied saying he attacked her. I know he would NEVER do that and she just wanted him out of her house so she made up stuff all the time! His sister would sneak to my house to see him. Even when he lived with me the police came to my house because she said he was harrassing her...he went to the hospital to see his little brother. I couldn't do anything but cry with him. He is really a sweet mild tempered young man and I trusted him in my home like one of my own. He lives in FL now, with a job and writes and calls me often. He said he'll be "home" for Christmas dinner with me.
This little boy should not have died! If she didn't want him, give him up!! I just want to cry for him!

My response to this is: And the 13-year-old didn't think he'd get in trouble for killing the boy?????:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

SadieMae...I loved your story. You are a sweet person for helping this young man.:cool:

SadieMae...I loved your story. You are a sweet person for helping this young man.:cool:
Thank you. :blowkiss: . Everyone needs someone, at sometime in their life. My sons' friends always call me mom. I am their confidant and they always come to me for advice and help. Some of the things they've told me... :eek: ! They think I am so cool. My house is also the hideout from deranged girlfriends..hahhaha.
And I might be a "Grandma" soon...another of my son's friend's came to me. His girlfriend just had a baby 9/23. Child protective services took custody. His baby was born cocaine positive and with syphyllis. :( I'm going to court on the 9th to try to get temporary custody because he asked me if I would. His family is and so is hers. He wants me to care for his son until he can get a another job. She wants me to take her son also and told me she wouldn't trust anyone in her family with her baby and he doesn't have anyone his family he trusts. More baby momma drama! My oldest son gave me a big hug and told me "Mama, I'm so lucky you are MY Mama!" That made me feel SO good!

Stories like this make me so sad. I just don't understand how a mother would allow harm to come to their children. I wouldn't let it happen to children that aren't even mine! The 13 year old needs serious help and counseling! No LinaK..I don't believe this boy has a clue what he's done, let alone the consequences. It doesn't look like there was much love in that home. I just pray this little boy is at peace...his suffering is over.

sadly enough abuse does seem to be a factor and seems to be brought souly on by the mother
"
Sgt. John Allen said Demetrius and his other siblings would hold Levares down for their mother.
"One child would hold Levares' arms, the other one would hold his legs, and they would hold him up in the air off the ground while she hit him," Allen said."

According to the article linked by the OP, the 8 y/o was an unwanted child. The mother gave him to a woman (boy's godmother) when he was one month old. He came back to his mother just recently. The mother asked her other children to help her beat the 8 y/o, and they held him up off the ground while the mother beat him.

The 13 y/o knew that it was fine with his mother if he beat on the little brother, and LE said that she left the boy alone with the other children, knowing that his life would be in danger. That's why she is in jail.

Some mom.

Could you post a link to this article? Thanks, I can't find any mention of this.

ETA: NEver mind, I found it. Oh my goodness, to think I actually gave this woman the benefit of a doubt. What a terrible, terrible person.

Some mom.

Bless his heart..Well, he will never be hurt ever again..:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie