GUILTY PA - Delimar Vera, 10 days old, Philadelphia, 15 Dec 1997

luthersmama

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Interesting story surfaced in Philadelphia today. Six years ago, a 10-day old baby girl was presumed to have died in a fire, but the body was not found.

Today it was confirmed that she is alive and living with a woman who started the fire to conceal that she had kidnapped the baby!!

Her birth mother saw her at a party or something and thought she looked like her baby would look today if she had not perished in the fire. She pursued it with the authorities, who have conclusively determined via dna that the 6 year old IS the girl who was thought to have died.

Poor little thing!! Now she'll have to go back to her real mommy and the woman she thought was her mommy will go to jail! :(

Happy she is alive, but some years of therapy await everyone, I suspect....

Good grief, bless their hearts. Do you still have the link for this story, luthersmama? I would love to read the whole thing and keep track of her progress. Thank you for sharing, Lanie

Unbelievable story. How heart wrenching for this child though. What an amazing story. So happy for the real mom too and good for her for getting DNA tests done.

She told the child she had bubblegum in her hair and took strands to be tested. That's how she got a sample from the child.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/03/01/girl.found.alive/index.html

In article below, mother said she always held out hope that her daughter was alive because nothing else made sense. She even told her sister at the birthday party, look at the child's dimple, that's my child. This MUST have been divine intervention.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040301_2436.html

Thank you all so much. The kind of work I do for the missing can be very sad at times, and to hear this miraculous story reaffirms everything I work for every day.

Hallelujah that this child can now be with her own mother, who has missed her so much. Many thanks for sharing this incredible story, y'all.

In His mercy, Lanie

A lot of work ahead of them. God love that little girl! Another one found, as was Elizabeth Smart.

A fire breaks out minutes after someone leaves the house and nobody had any suspicions?

If the kid was not there after the fire then the 'woman who left her purse' probably took her out... and no one noticed?

CPS workers took the kid... and expected the 'mother' to wait around for the cops to show up?

Philadelphia Phoolishness.

The headlines told of fire tragedy that cold December night in 1997 - a 10-day-old baby perished as flames consumed her bedroom on Hurley Street. Grieving relatives and reporters that night were told Delimar Vera died despite her mother, Luz Cuevas, racing into inferno trying to save her.

CBS 3 was first to uncover a stunning new twist never before made public. Days after the fire, analysis of debris revealed the baby didn’t die.

”What they thought was a body turned out to be parts of a heater," explained family member Emily Dominguez.
-

http://kyw.com/Local News/local_story_061160247.html

Parts of a HEATER?? Has this baby been "missing" these past years or ruled dead after the fire?

This has to be one of the most confusing and unbelievable stories I've seen in a while.

WasBlind said:
Thank you all so much. The kind of work I do for the missing can be very sad at times, and to hear this miraculous story reaffirms everything I work for every day.

Hallelujah that this child can now be with her own mother, who has missed her so much. Many thanks for sharing this incredible story, y'all.

In His mercy, Lanie

Amen Lanie, its so wonderful to hear of a mother getting her baby back... especially with all the horror stories we hear, and so many of them don't have happy endings.

This, is truly a miracle. :)

My mother ran this one by me yesterday and it really is remarkable that a mother would recongnize a child she only knew for 10 days by a dimple but that's the story I got. Maybe it was instinct and a bit of wishful thinking - whatever it was, it's bittersweet. The mother is reunited with a lost child but in reality, the only mother the child has known is probably going to jail and they will be seperated. These stories always tug at my heart because "what is best for the child?" I think back to when I was six and the last thing I would of wanted is to be torn away from my mother/family.

You know what this reminds me of? Oprah's book choice, was it Deep End of the Ocean?

The woman has been arrested.

>Parts of a HEATER??
Yeah. Seems a bit strange. It was a fairly low temperature, sooty fire. They can't tell the difference? How many fireman have ever given a bottle to the heater by mistake? Or diapered the heater in error?

>Has this baby been "missing" these past years or ruled dead after the fire?
I believe it was ruled dead.

>most confusing and unbelievable
Arson for insurance? Nah. I think it just may have been a really dumb woman who never figured out the fire was started by the woman who went up for her purse. Dumb.

Thanks for those links blueclouds. This is truly one bizarre story. How in this day and age of advanced forensics the investigators in this one screw up so? Sounds like someone has some 'splaning to do. A woman who is virtually a stranger is left in to retrieve her purse and a short time later a fire breaks out. The mother tries to retrieve baby but cannot find her and can make no sense of the open window in mid December? Investigators believe child is consumed by blaze yet fire is not hot enough to make this happen. Fireman mistake heater for baby? Could be more to this than what we heard so far.

I am thrilled for the mother. (trust your instincts) My heart goes out to the child who only knows her kidnapper as her mother.

Toth said:
The woman has been arrested.

>Parts of a HEATER??
Yeah. Seems a bit strange. It was a fairly low temperature, sooty fire. They can't tell the difference? How many fireman have ever given a bottle to the heater by mistake? Or diapered the heater in error?

>Has this baby been "missing" these past years or ruled dead after the fire?
I believe it was ruled dead.

>most confusing and unbelievable
Arson for insurance? Nah. I think it just may have been a really dumb woman who never figured out the fire was started by the woman who went up for her purse. Dumb.

I wouldn't nesacarily call the woman (mother) dumb. After all "The official cause of the fire was listed as an overheated extension cord attached to a space heater. " http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/03/01/girl.found.alive/index.html
and "police concluded they had been incinerated in the flames."
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/03/01/girl.found.alive/index.html

I think the mother thought something was strange but what was she going to do........determine the cause of fire on her own?

If she believed her baby was dead then why take the hair for DNA sampling?

I'm concerned that maybe not much was done in the original case because there was a minority race, single mother involved.

I also hope the same for the Aisenbergs, but I think the possiblity is extremely unlikely.

I think it unlikely that the Aisenburgs and Sabrina will end up at the same birthday party... but I have hope some other twist of fate will bring them face to face, even if one face is a photograph. I pray that Marlene Aisenburg will also recognize her child. And I pray that the "powers that be" use this case of Delimar as a reference point and take such claims seriously enough to unite another child with his/her parents, as it should be.

The real tragedy in this case is that the kidnapped girl doesn't know her real mother. I am happy for the mother to know that her daughter didn't perish in the fire, but I am so sad for the child who will now be taken from the only parent/s and home she has ever known to live with a stranger.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back