Doctors save poisoned tourist using vodka drip

Indy Gal

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21219366/?GT1=10450

BRISBANE, Australia - Australian doctors said they plugged a poisoned Italian tourist into a vodka drip after running out of the medicinal alcohol they would normally have used to save his life.
The 24-year-old Italian, who was not further identified, was diagnosed as having ingested a large quantity of ethylene glycol, a common ingredient in antifreeze that can cause renal failure.
Pure alcohol

I'm probably the weird one reading this. I just went "oh", lol.

This has been a long time treatment at vet hospitals for when animals accidentally get into antifreeze. There's a very expensive medicine you can give ( the name escapes me right now), or you can opt for the "poor man's treatment". So, in the safe with all of the controlled substances, were a couple of bottles of Everclear. If the poisoning is caught early enough, the possibility for a good outcome is pretty good.

Drawback? Yeah, lol. . . . spending the night with a dog that has "tied one on". Most are howlers!

"The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," he said. "The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka."

yes, i heard this on the radio this morning, while at work!....they said he stayed a total of 21 days in the hospital, & is doing fine now....it's rumored, per the radio station i was listening to, that the guy was trying to commit suicide.....wild!

When i read that article, I have never heard of this and was like, WOW....LOL

"The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," he said. "The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka."

yes, i heard this on the radio this morning, while at work!....they said he stayed a total of 21 days in the hospital, & is doing fine now....it's rumored, per the radio station i was listening to, that the guy was trying to commit suicide.....wild!
Three standard drinks an hour for three days...I wonder how Lenny Liver is taking this:eek:

Yikes! I drink a beer anymore and Im buzzed. I cant imagine ingesting that much alcohol.

I want to know why alcohol helps! That is so interesting to me. I wonder how many bad jokes and come-on's the nurses, doctors and other patients had to put up with. :D

I'll never understand why they can't put a bitter taste in anti-freeze. I know this was suicide but a lot of times you hear it was accidental.

Hmm. I learn something new everyday.

So I guess the moral of this story is to be sure to keep some vodka around in case your child gets into antifreeze.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back