Schools Across U.S. report staph infections

Schools report spike in staph infections

RICHMOND, Va. - Schools across the country are reporting outbreaks of staph infections, particularly among athletes, and the germs include an antibiotic-resistant strain that is sometimes associated with serious skin problems and blood disorders.

The infections have forced districts to call off classes, cancel sporting events and disinfect entire buildings. Several students have been hospitalized. Many of the infections are being spread in gyms and locker rooms, where athletes — perhaps suffering from cuts or abrasions — share sports equipment.

In Virginia, a Newport News high school closed its weight room Thursday to be disinfected after at least four students were infected — one with the drug-resistant strain. The drug-resistant patient, a football player, was hospitalized for three days. On Friday, the high school in Galax, Va., postponed a football game because of an infection on its football team. School officials said they could not clean the equipment in time for the kickoff.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta does not track staph infections but confirmed that the cases seem to be more widespread than in the past. "Most of these are mild infections," agency spokeswoman Nicole Coffin said. "They can be as simple as a pimple or a boil, or as serious as a blood infection."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_re_us/staph_outbreaks

Better not touch anything that any of these ball players might have come into contact with. Staph infections can spread very easily, and very quickly.

I discovered an infection on my grandson's leg two weeks ago and we spent half the night in the E.R., but he's not in any sports at school.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_re_us/staph_outbreaks

My oldest son had some problems a couple years ago and spent about 9 months on the streets. He contracted a staph infection and every once in awhile it recurs. He has to go on heavy-duty antibiotics and each time, it takes longer for him to get over them.

Yeah that stuff can get serious. Last summer it was bad here my husband nicked his finger and it got so infected that a day later he had blood poisoning from the staff infection. He ended up having surgery and had to stay in the hospital for about 7 days. The nurse told us that they had seen a lot of that recently.

My girls had this last year. One had a mild case, the other was the severe drug resistant type. I was told that it would have been worse for her had I not forced the puss out of it( I know gross). Had I left it till the next morning when I could get her to the doctor they would have hospitalized her. Her arm swelled up really really bad around what looked like an insect bite! They told me at that time that ANY cuts or bites--no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, should be cleaned and treated with a triple antibiotic to try to prevent it from turning into staph!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megs89
Back