N.Y Parents Face Fine For Daughter's Chalk Drawings

White Rain

Reaction score
A freaking flower? You have got to be kidding me!

NEW YORK — Chalk it up to the city's crackdown on graffiti.
A 6-year-old child's chalk sketches on her family's stoop brought her bemused parents a graffiti-removal notice that threatened a $300 fine, the family and Sanitation Department officials said.
"My mom got a ticket for graffiti, and it wasn't even graffiti," first-grader Natalie Shea said. "It was art, very nice art."
But a neighbor apparently didn't see it that way and called the city's 311 complaint line about the blue flower drawn earlier this month on the stoop of Natalie's home in Park Slope, a Brooklyn neighborhood known for being family-friendly.
The notice that arrived Oct. 5 — giving the family 45 days to clean up the "graffiti" — was a form letter sent in response to all such complaints, city Sanitation Department spokeswoman Kathy Dawkins said.
"If people call and complain, we have to follow it up," she said, but noted that the agency "does not consider a child's chalk drawing to be graffiti."
more at link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301559,00.html

:rolleyes: Oh for Pity's sake! Sounds to me more like a cr@ppy neighbor making trouble. :mad: :razz: Please! :slap: :loser::twocents:

WOW, it was a flower people, get over it. Glad I dont live in NY! Seems the neighborhood needs some lessons in manners

Oh okay I know there are wayyyyyyy worse things people out there are doing and they are worried about chalk art???? How stupid.

My kids and the neighbor's kids all traced their outlines in chalk on our driveway this weekend-it looks like a big crime scene! That probably would have escaped notice in NY.....

Doesn't Target, as well as other stores, carry this type of chalk, made especially for sidewalk drawing? Maybe Target should be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor (LOL)?

A freaking flower? You have got to be kidding me!

NEW YORK — Chalk it up to the city's crackdown on graffiti.
A 6-year-old child's chalk sketches on her family's stoop brought her bemused parents a graffiti-removal notice that threatened a $300 fine, the family and Sanitation Department officials said.
"My mom got a ticket for graffiti, and it wasn't even graffiti," first-grader Natalie Shea said. "It was art, very nice art."
But a neighbor apparently didn't see it that way and called the city's 311 complaint line about the blue flower drawn earlier this month on the stoop of Natalie's home in Park Slope, a Brooklyn neighborhood known for being family-friendly.
The notice that arrived Oct. 5 — giving the family 45 days to clean up the "graffiti" — was a form letter sent in response to all such complaints, city Sanitation Department spokeswoman Kathy Dawkins said.
"If people call and complain, we have to follow it up," she said, but noted that the agency "does not consider a child's chalk drawing to be graffiti."
more at link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301559,00.html

Graffiti can be a big problem and the graffiti laws should be enforced.
It's just too bad that this neighbor was such a moron!

Wow I been to New York and let me tell ya...sidewalk chalk art is and should be the LEAST concern of all the crap I seen in that city.

Wow, better slam that kid in juvie before it's too late.

Yeah, she's headed for delinquency, that's for sure. Arrest her quickly.

I imagine the real graffitti offenders don't exactly put it on their own homes, so I wonder if people who get their property tagged also get fines if they can't get it off for some reason with the time limit. I didn't even know that Brooklyn was even considered all that nice of a place anymore.

I suppose the neighbor is going to demand the death penalty..

sheesh..moron

Sami

It's the end of the world as we know it...(insert musical notes here)

Eve

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆