Ellen Degeneres under fire for giving away dog

reb

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071016/ap_on_en_tv/people_degeneres

By BETH HARRIS, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Ellen DeGeneres is in the doghouse with a pet rescue agency after giving a pooch away to her hairdresser because it didn't get along with her cats.

The talk show hostess and her partner Portia de Rossi adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix, on Sept. 20. But when things didn't work out, DeGeneres gave the dog to her hairdresser.
In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms agency by not informing them of the handoff.
When the agency called DeGeneres to ask about Iggy, she said she found another home for the dog. The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.

This is ludicrous!!!! One of the things I hate about a lot of pet rescue organizations. But of course, they also do great things.. all of my own pets are rescues.. But then you have a lot of fruitcakes involved too.. a lot of lonely old neurotic women with extreme control issues.
I understand the group wants to know where the dog is going if its new situation doesn't work out.... but in this case,, to come confiscate the dog like its Elian Gonzalez,, after it's bonded with its new family, and obviously Ellen D didn't just give it away to any old bum on the street.. and things seem to be working out? Ridiculous. Maybe this group has a really good reason for saying 'no' to this family.. but I doubt it. I bet they are just being dog rescue nazis about it. In many situations it seems the rescue people would rather see the dog stay in 'indefinite' foster care, until they can find the absolute perfect home... which doesn't exist!

thoughts...???

I read about this...it was just stupid, flat-out stupid to come and take the dog away.
Some reports said the daughter of the woman the dog was given to was heart-broken.
She found the dog a loving home, and they should have been allowed to keep it.

So what would've been wrong with investigating the family and letting them keep the dog until it was over? Probably they'd be allowed to keep it anyway.

Most rescues screen adopters. They have no idea what kind of home the hairdresser will give this dog or what other pets this woman has that could be a danger to the dog. Ellen had a contract...rescues like many breeders want the dog back if it doesn't work out with the owner. They had every right to take the dog. They had no contract with the hairdresser. If this woman really wants the dog, she can go through the adoption procedure same as everyone else. They might be a great family for the dog.

Says a lot about Ellen as an owner also. Most rescues will test the dogs to see if they will get along with cats, other dogs and children.. Either they didn't ask her what other pets she had or the dog was not tested. She hasn't even had the dog a month!!! Also I question what kind of rescue this is because they didn't already have the dog neutered prior to adoption. Every rescue I know of does this before a dog is adopted. And most rescues foster dogs in private homes where they are around a family.

But sometimes... the original adopter doesn't want to go through all the red tape and hassle of the foster group again. I know, I know,, they have rules for a reason.. but geez... sometimes another situation just works out better. And there are SO many more dogs to help,, why couldn't they just ask the family to fill out the adoption form, and if they met all the criteria, just let it go? Sometimes the 2nd home works out far better then the first one anyway. And sometimes the original adopter just wants to give the dog to the better suited person, and be done with it. Yes,, of course... the resq group put a lot of time & money into the dog & want to be sure where it's going. And, ED says she didn't read the rules before signing. But geez.. come on. it just seems people have gotten do fanatical about dogs now. The family loved him, the girls were bonded with him, and they want to traumatize the dog by taking it away again..?? To me that sounds like "rules over reason".

Also sometimes people do this because they don't want the embarassment of saying the dog didn't work out... because the dog rescue people will often be condescending and snotty treating you like a bad person for not 'making a lifetime commitment to the dog like you promised'. Sometimes these groups are more trouble than they're worth.

I've adopted from 3 different rescues...the rules are pretty much the same. If the dog doesn't work out, give it back. They'll try to place another one that may be more suited if one is available. Most time the dogs came from an abusive neglectful home to begin with. They put time into rehabilitating dogs, and they want to make sure it is safe and well cared for. Nothing wrong with them for wanting that.

From their website dogs are placed into foster homes until they are adopted. Their application is almost identical to ones I've filled out for adoption.

http://www.muttsandmoms.org/

How absurd. The point is, or should be, to find homes for these pets. This is a dog, not a child. If Ellen found the dog a loving home what's the problem? I know a woman who considers herself an "animal rescuer" and believes that she has virtues not found in other humans. She once found a kitten wandering near her yard and put it in the back of her truck in a camper shell for three days. The kitties' owner who's home was one block from hers, looked for it for those three days. Finally a mutual acquaintance saw the kitten and told her where it belonged. She begrudgingly returned it claiming that it shouldn't have been wandering the streets. In her self righteous mind, living in her truck was better.
Many animal rescue agencies are wonderful, caring individuals but plenty are control freaks who want to be viewed as saints.

sadiemae I remember when we lived in Ft.Hood a neighbor of ours adopted a dog from the shelter (can't remember which one) and it was required she got the dog fixed in a certain amount of time. She did NOT get the dog fixed and to her surprise she got a notice to appear in court in her mailbox! They don't play..anyway the only reason I know about that is because she didnt speak any english and had to have my husband translate the paperwork for her.

Most rescues screen adopters. They have no idea what kind of home the hairdresser will give this dog or what other pets this woman has that could be a danger to the dog. Ellen had a contract...rescues like many breeders want the dog back if it doesn't work out with the owner. They had every right to take the dog. They had no contract with the hairdresser. If this woman really wants the dog, she can go through the adoption procedure same as everyone else. They might be a great family for the dog.

Says a lot about Ellen as an owner also. Most rescues will test the dogs to see if they will get along with cats, other dogs and children.. Either they didn't ask her what other pets she had or the dog was not tested. She hasn't even had the dog a month!!! Also I question what kind of rescue this is because they didn't already have the dog neutered prior to adoption. Every rescue I know of does this before a dog is adopted. And most rescues foster dogs in private homes where they are around a family.

Gotta give Ellen some slack on this one. We have rescued a dog who supposedly got along with other animals, but once in our home caused a huge problem. Not because he didn't get along, but because our dog wouldn't go for it. The fighting over food got to the point of making me nervous around our kids, so the new dog had to go. No arguments.

Sure, Ellen should have called the rescue. But if the hairdresser's daughter was in love with the dog and bonded with it, what is the big deal? Keep in mind, Ellen probably sees her hairdresser a lot more frequently than I see mine! Probably daily, in fact, or close to that. This isn't a stranger, but likely to be someone she considers almost extended family.

If people kept this close of an eye on kids in foster care, our country would be in much better shape.

Well, I have to say, these are pretty much standard rules and they are put in place for the protection of the dog.
Now, I have to wonder what type of screening the rescue had in place to begin with. The organization that I worked most closely with, Atlanta AARF, they follow up with you several times to see how it is going. I actually went to a couple of the homes with a few of the pups that I was fostering prior to them adopting to see how the 'dynamics' would be. Yes, you ARE supposed to return the dog to the organization. Honestly, had Ellen not mentioned this on air, they probably would never had known, but this is put in place to try to prevent these dogs from ending up in shelters after they went through their rescue or worse situation.
I know that after I've put so much work into fostering a pup, housetraining and caring and many times helping bring them back to health and then going through the scrutiny of finding GOOD home for them I would not want want to see them turned over to another home that I did not (or the rescue) did not personally interview and or approve of. To this day, I know where every dog that I personally fostered is and I get pictures of them from their families.
Ellen's hairdresser may VERY WELL be a GREAT home, and it does sound like it is. I read on another site her apology and how the little girls are heartbroken. I think that this rescue should evaluate this home and give them first chance at adoption of this pup if anything else. I don't think Ellen meant anything bad at all.

And this is why I won't adopt from a rescue agency or the SPCA. I don't need to have someone else determine that I'm a good pet owner or not... I KNOW I am.

I took in a dog that was stolen from his abusive owners. When we got him, I had to cut off the shoelace that was tied tight around his middle... and could barely get the scissors around it to cut... they would use this contraption to throw the dog. That's just one of many abuses he suffered at another's hand. He's my best buddy... my cuddle buddy and he's loved beyond measure and spoiled rotten in my home.

I took in a cat that was abandoned by the neighbors... I'm allergic to cats, but I wasn't going to turn my back on a needy animal. I give this cat a loving, safe environment and suffer for it... but this cat brings me joy and I won't give him up for the world now. Heck, this cat sleeps with me and I wake up so stuffed up with runny eyes!

And now both my dog and cat are brothers... they cuddle, kiss and love each other.

To think... I might not have either of these animals if some "agency" had the right to determine whether or not I'm "responsible", "loving", "suitable" home... they don't know me... and a week or two of periodic observation isn't going to tell them all that much about me.

And this is why I won't adopt from a rescue agency or the SPCA. I don't need to have someone else determine that I'm a good pet owner or not... I KNOW I am.

I took in a dog that was stolen from his abusive owners. When we got him, I had to cut off the shoelace that was tied tight around his middle... and could barely get the scissors around it to cut... they would use this contraption to throw the dog. That's just one of many abuses he suffered at another's hand. He's my best buddy... my cuddle buddy and he's loved beyond measure and spoiled rotten in my home.

I took in a cat that was abandoned by the neighbors... I'm allergic to cats, but I wasn't going to turn my back on a needy animal. I give this cat a loving, safe environment and suffer for it... but this cat brings me joy and I won't give him up for the world now. Heck, this cat sleeps with me and I wake up so stuffed up with runny eyes!

And now both my dog and cat are brothers... they cuddle, kiss and love each other.

To think... I might not have either of these animals if some "agency" had the right to determine whether or not I'm "responsible", "loving", "suitable" home... they don't know me... and a week or two of periodic observation isn't going to tell them all that much about me.

I think it is awesome that you've taken in strays, I have as well. I wish MORE people would do this. No doubt your furry ones are very fortunate to have you! But these rescues do really great work. They bring countless animals back to health from deplorable conditions and they try hard to place them in homes where they won't be bounced back and forth. Sometimes people get a pet, don't want it and take it to a shelter, next person takes it, decides it's too hyper takes it back to the shelter, so a rescue tries hard to make sure that the family it is placed with suits this kind of dog. The same with breed specific rescues, not all breeds are meant for people. An elderly couple is probably not going to want a puppy Malamute of Labrador.
The few calls that are placed (and not all of them do this) is probably two calls after the adoption to ask if it's all going well, that's it. Is the pup getting along with the other dogs like you thought? The cats? Everything ok? Housetraining ok? That's it. It's good to have someone out there being an advocate for them and caring. Not just dumping them and hoping it all goes ok.
I do think that some of them are too strict and turn down some good prospective homes and I think that this rescue going in and taking this dog away like this without just evaluating the home was perhaps overzealous, unless they DID and found something they didn't like, who knows.

I wish some states were this picky when placing kids with some of these foster homes.

I think Ellen meant no harm and knows this person is a good a kind one with a nice family.

I love Ellen and I think she tries to do the right thing and something good will come out of it for her, it always does. She will make a million dollars for homeless dogs or something. She is a gem.

Catsmeow, I dont know how to multiquote but I agree with you!!

"Ellen's hairdresser may VERY WELL be a GREAT home, and it does sound like it is. I read on another site her apology and how the little girls are heartbroken. I think that this rescue should evaluate this home and give them first chance at adoption of this pup if anything else. I don't think Ellen meant anything bad at all."

If the dogs a rescue and Ellen was able to find it a nice home, I dont see the problem.
The dog was NOT good with cats, she found it a home that had none and they love the dog.....the Rescue could easily check them out and let him stay.

I wish some states were this picky when placing kids with some of these foster homes.

I think Ellen meant no harm and knows this person is a good a kind one with a nice family.

I love Ellen and I think she tries to do the right thing and something good will come out of it for her, it always does. She will make a million dollars for homeless dogs or something. She is a gem.
Ain't THAT the truth!!!

Catsmeow, I dont know how to multiquote but I agree with you!!

"Ellen's hairdresser may VERY WELL be a GREAT home, and it does sound like it is. I read on another site her apology and how the little girls are heartbroken. I think that this rescue should evaluate this home and give them first chance at adoption of this pup if anything else. I don't think Ellen meant anything bad at all."

If the dogs a rescue and Ellen was able to find it a nice home, I dont see the problem.
The dog was NOT good with cats, she found it a home that had none and they love the dog.....the Rescue could easily check them out and let him stay.

Thanks Feddup, I really hope the pup goes back to this family. I feel badly for them AND for Ellen. She really would be a fantastic voice for animal rescue in general and I don't really like seeing her placed in this bad light myself.

She didn't take it to the vet and have it put down for crying out loud! She found it another home. I think the pet people made a serious mistake. This is the sort of bad publicity that will cause a lot of dogs to be put down because people don't want to deal with aholes when they try to adopt a pet.

How absurd. The point is, or should be, to find homes for these pets. This is a dog, not a child. If Ellen found the dog a loving home what's the problem? I know a woman who considers herself an "animal rescuer" and believes that she has virtues not found in other humans. She once found a kitten wandering near her yard and put it in the back of her truck in a camper shell for three days. The kitties' owner who's home was one block from hers, looked for it for those three days. Finally a mutual acquaintance saw the kitten and told her where it belonged. She begrudgingly returned it claiming that it shouldn't have been wandering the streets. In her self righteous mind, living in her truck was better.
Many animal rescue agencies are wonderful, caring individuals but plenty are control freaks who want to be viewed as saints.

This reminds me of a group down here.....
We have 2 groups that rescue the same species in the lower keys ...
One covers Key West and Marathon to a little further north and the other covers Big Pine Key .. (for those who do not know the area Big Pine is in the middle of the other two towns)

Apparently the person who runs the smaller rescue in Big Pine is extremely territorial...
She is rather rude to the other group and becomes very angry is someone calls them rather then her if an injured animal is found in "HER area"
The thing is people just call whomever they are familiar with..
To the credit of the other agency if someone from Big Pine does call them they do pass on her # despite her nasty tude.

What I don't understand is the ego thing? I mean would it not be in the animals best interest to have all the resources available working for them?
The group that works in the 2 towns has much more funding .. professional facilities a lot more help.

I don't understand why this rescue did not try to approve this women and her family for adoption.
It seems very cold hearted.
Most of the rescues down here make sure the animals have all shots and are fixed before they are put up for adoption.

One rescue agency I wanted to adopt from turned me down...why? Because my husband and I work outside the home and the dog would be alone for 10 hours each day. Well... I don't think they are going to find too many people in California that can afford a home and have one parent at home all day. That rules out about 80 percent of the potential adopters! My two doggies have each other to play with at home during the day and they are just fine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back