Harry Potter News: Dumbledore is Gay. Outted by JK Rowling!

Samiya

Inactive
Reaction score
Rowling outs Hogwarts head Dumbledore

Saturday Oct 20 12:48 AEST

AP - Harry Potter fans, the rumours are true: Albus Dumbledore, master wizard and Headmaster of Hogwarts, is gay.

JK Rowling, author of the mega-selling fantasy series, outed the beloved character while appearing before a full house at Carnegie Hall in New York. After reading briefly from the final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, she took questions from audience members.

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love".

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

More at link http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=267167

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Waiting for the screams of "burn the books" and "no Johnny, you can't watch Harry Potter anymore".

JK, my cousin has a bone to pick with you.

She wanted to grow up and marry Dumbledore because he looks like Santa, lmao.

Sami
(who will always be a HP fan big time)

my gut reaction to this silliness is 'so?'

i think ms rowling wanted to make people gasp, and it worked.

hes also dead...

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love".

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

Well, that's an interesting answer. Does being gay mean he can't find true love? :confused:

I don't know, sounds like she needed some attention by stating that NOW. Oh, mira, just saw your comment. Yes, sounds like she wanted that reaction.

Aw, Sami, your poor cousin! lol

I also think she wanted shock factor, but I posted this because it not only made me smile (which is what this part of the forum is for), it made me howl with laughter at my cousin's face when I told her.

She pouted so hard she got carpet burns!

Sami

Oh, Rowling sure knows how to spin a good story, huh?! LOL

So does this mean he was secretly in love with Snipe (?). You know the tall, creepy, weird guy who she SHOULD have outed?! LOL

JK Rowling is such an idiot--What's the point of saying something stupid like that to these young kids? Anyway, the Harry Potter movies have suffered mightily since the great actor Richard Harris died, and Harris,of course, was NOT gay--although he did drink a lot :)

Oh boy... another reason for the anti-harry people to declare why kids must not read the series.

I don't see how this makes Rowling an idiot. A young fan asked her the question about Dumbledore and she prefaced the answer by explaining the simple fact that he is gay... and the answer to the fan's question was:

"...that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. 'Falling in love can blind us to an extent,' Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was 'horribly, terribly let down'.
Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his 'great tragedy'."

Hey..don't slight an author's truth. If people don't want to know...they should not ask. I think she was being honest about what she saw as the story and what she wrote is all. So what if he was gay and no one was smart enough to get it?!

Furthermore...JK Rowling is NOT any kind of "idiot". I think her work speaks for itself.

I think it was rude for Ms. Rowling to "out" Dumbledore. Maybe Dumbledore wasn't ready to tell the world. And now that he is dead, he cannot give us his side of the story. Can't we let Dumbledore rest in peace? :p :)

I've got a story about the Harry Potter book "haters".
My brother is the manager of a large bookstore. The day the last HP book came out, the bookstore put signs on the restroom doors: Wizards for the men's room, Witches for the ladies room.
Well, of course, some woman complained about the signs, so my brother took them down. I WOULDN'T have. I would have made a snappy comment to her.

i think she said it to piss off all the religious (christian/catholic) who think harry potter is evil.

hahahahhaha this will make them think harry potter is even WORSE.

So what that Dumbledore was gay. Doesn't change any of the stories, does it. I kinda like that. Gay, but life continued on in Harry Potter world. So sad it doesn't in real life for many other gay people. Only in fiction....

Is this thread a hoax?

J.K. Rowling does NOT lack for attention, Dumbledore gay or not. In fact, as celebrities go, she is intensely private and avoids the spotlight. She could spend every day of the rest of her life basking in the attention of Potter fans without ever making a controversial statement.

She didn't make up this piece of information on the spot to get gasps from her audience. It is clearly detailed in the history of young Dumbledore as discovered by Harry in Book 7. That nobody used the word "gay" doesn't make it any less well planned.

And as for the poster who thinks it is "rude" of Rowling to "out" Dumbledore, I can only remind her that the professor is not a real person, but the fictional creation of Ms. Rowling.

Is this thread a hoax?

J.K. Rowling does NOT lack for attention, Dumbledore gay or not. In fact, as celebrities go, she is intensely private and avoids the spotlight. She could spend every day of the rest of her life basking in the attention of Potter fans without ever making a controversial statement.

She didn't make up this piece of information on the spot to get gasps from her audience. It is clearly detailed in the history of young Dumbledore as discovered by Harry in Book 7. That nobody used the word "gay" doesn't make it any less well planned.

And as for the poster who thinks it is "rude" of Rowling to "out" Dumbledore, I can only remind her that the professor is not a real person, but the fictional creation of Ms. Rowling.

Amen, Nova! :)

I'm laughing at this thread...

I have to admit that I was shocked when I read the article this morning. I actually saw the news story on the t.v. at the gym on Saturday and it had the headline, "Dumbledore is Out." but I didn't have my headphones and couldn't hear. I just assumed that the actor who plays him in the movies had backed out of the last two films. That's why it was so dang surprising to me this morning!

I don't have a problem with it at all. It's a character in a book and if that's how she created him, then ok. He's still one of my favorite characters. I just think it's sort of weird that it's never been mentioned before.

I'm laughing at this thread...

I have to admit that I was shocked when I read the article this morning. I actually saw the news story on the t.v. at the gym on Saturday and it had the headline, "Dumbledore is Out." but I didn't have my headphones and couldn't hear. I just assumed that the actor who plays him in the movies had backed out of the last two films. That's why it was so dang surprising to me this morning!

I don't have a problem with it at all. It's a character in a book and if that's how she created him, then ok. He's still one of my favorite characters. I just think it's sort of weird that it's never been mentioned before.

Jen, my first reaction was that if she wanted Dumbledore to be gay, she should have mentioned it in the books. But since then I must admit I'm not sure how she would have done so, at least not more frankly than the hints she gives in Book 7.

It would hardly be in character for Dumbledore to have discussed his ancient heartache with Harry. When Harry does learn of his mentor's past, it's with an eye toward how that info can be useful. The "gay" part of it isn't.

In fact, Harry and his friends learn of Dumbledore's great "friendship" and how that relationship ended without assuming the bond was "gay." This is pretty much how the world operates: lots of us aren't "gay" to the world unless we announce the fact or get caught cruising a cop in a restroom at the Minneapolis airport.

Jen, my first reaction was that if she wanted Dumbledore to be gay, she should have mentioned it in the books. But since then I must admit I'm not sure how she would have done so, at least not more frankly than the hints she gives in Book 7.

It would hardly be in character for Dumbledore to have discussed his ancient heartache with Harry. When Harry does learn of his mentor's past, it's with an eye toward how that info can be useful. The "gay" part of it isn't.

In fact, Harry and his friends learn of Dumbledore's great "friendship" and how that relationship ended without assuming the bond was "gay."

That was my first reaction too, but you're right. How exactly would she have worked that in and have it be at all relevant to the story? And I was telling my husband that the reason why I found it so "shocking" wasn't that he was gay...it was just that I never really considered Dumbledore in any relationship at all. (Too busy with Hogwarts and Voldemort) And so it really never crossed my mind that he might be gay. I'll definitely be going back and re-reading the books eventually and I'm sure that it might be something that I pick up on once I'm thinking about it.
I just think it's interesting (I'm not upset by it at all.) that she waited until months after the last book was released to bring up the subject.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is pretty much how the world operates: lots of us aren't "gay" to the world unless we announce the fact or get caught cruising a cop in a restroom at the Minneapolis airport.

That was my first reaction too, but you're right. How exactly would she have worked that in and have it be at all relevant to the story? And I was telling my husband that the reason why I found it so "shocking" wasn't that he was gay...it was just that I never really considered Dumbledore in any relationship at all. (Too busy with Hogwarts and Voldemort) And so it really never crossed my mind that he might be gay. I'll definitely be going back and re-reading the books eventually and I'm sure that it might be something that I pick up on once I'm thinking about it.
I just think it's interesting (I'm not upset by it at all.) that she waited until months after the last book was released to bring up the subject.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Of course, that's one possible criticism: it's a "cop out" to make a character gay only after you have effectively de-sexed him. Frankly, it's an unfortunate, but age-old tactic in Western lit. But I'm not inclined to give Rowling a hard time over it. The Potter series has millions of people (including the younger, "computer" generation) reading. I don't think it has to meet any standards of radical politics.

Of course, that's one possible criticism: it's a "cop out" to make a character gay only after you have effectively de-sexed him. Frankly, it's an unfortunate, but age-old tactic in Western lit. But I'm not inclined to give Rowling a hard time over it. The Potter series has millions of people (including the younger, "computer" generation) reading. I don't think it has to meet any standards of radical politics.

there was some lady on the news who was saying: "this is so great for gay rights... to make a beloved children's character gay."

my husband was like... ok, how the heck is this so great for gay rights when there was NO indication the dude was gay???!??!???!??!

So what that Dumbledore was gay. Doesn't change any of the stories, does it. I kinda like that. Gay, but life continued on in Harry Potter world. So sad it doesn't in real life for many other gay people. Only in fiction....

Some people are gay, some aren't. Does it really matter, unless you are interested in dating them? Frankly, he's too old for me, anyway.

Truth be told, if this story were real, a handfull of those kids in the school and some of the teachers or parents would probably be gay, too. That's just the way the world is. Shocking, it's not.

there was some lady on the news who was saying: "this is so great for gay rights... to make a beloved children's character gay."

my husband was like... ok, how the heck is this so great for gay rights when there was NO indication the dude was gay???!??!???!??!

There isn't NO indication (sorry for the double negative): the final book is clear that Dumbledore's youthful friendship was the pivotal one in his life.

But I don't see this as any great step forward for gay rights. Western lit and film have long had de-sexed gay characters who meet tragic ends. It's pretty much an archetype.

I doubt Rowling was trying to make a political statement. She was just revealing how she understood the character when she wrote him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back