Huge Fire In Malibu (ca) *merged threads*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love_Mama

Rest In Peace
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pepperdine College is on fire, breaking news right now. THe Malibu Prespreterian Church ......has already burned to the ground.

(about 7,500 hundred Pepperdine students, most live on campus).

The wind there is causing all the problems, They are expecting gusts up to 80 miles an hour. So far they've gotten up to 60 miles per hour.

There's a chance that it will jump over Pac. Hiway. We'd had very little rain and we're in a Santa Ana for the next two days.

For those of you who don't know this area, It's right on the Ocean, and has a huge enclave of movie star's that live there. It is a very expensive area in West Los Angeles. Evacuation underway now.
Four structures in area now burned........

Wind is so strong now it's hard to stand up!

xxxxoo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Wildfire in Malibu Threatens Homes, Pepperdine University, Hughes Labs

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/pages/...n=7&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Last Edited: Sunday, 21 Oct 2007, 8:27 AM PDT
Created: Sunday, 21 Oct 2007, 7:17 AM PDT
Malibu Wildfire Map - 10/21/2007

Malibu, Calif. *--* Firefighters from as far away as Orange county are taking up defensive positions at the north end of an exclusive Malibu neighborhood as a brush fire rages across Malibu Canyon.

The fire was apparently sparked by high voltage power lines that fell along Malibu Canyon Road as 60 mph-plus gusts raked the area overnight.

Residents of Serra Estates were evacuating horses, families, and important documents as the sun rose through smoke-filled skies.

Topanga Canyon Road is closed in both directions. Pacific Coast Highway is restricted to residents only from Topanga Canyon Road to Kanan Dune Road.

The fire is burning in two prongs on both sides of Malibu Canyon.

The eastern prong was within several hundred feet of numerous multi- million dollar houses, and firefighters were taking up protective positions at 7:30 am.

The western prong began in rough mountains north of Hughes Research Laboratory and headed toward Pepperdine University.

Students there were brought to the central section of the campus which is believed to be well protected from threatening fires in the pass.

Power in much of Malibu was out, and Pacific Coast Highway is closed between Kanan-Dume Road and Topanga Canyon Road.*

Wildfires were widely expected in Southern California over the weekend as hot weather and heavy Santa Ana winds marked the height of traditional wildfire season after one of the driest rain years on record. ents must show I.D. for access.

xxxxxxxxxxxooo
mama

Fox News is covering this story.....
Also know that Malibu has the Beach each on one side and Mountains on the other side of the Highway...
Fire is completely out of control right now.

--------------
The Santa Ana winds are a strong, hot, dry wind that blows through the southeastern California Deserts and the eastern Los Angeles area.
It's caused when there is a strong ridge of high pressure over the inter-mountain states, and a low pressure center off the coast of California. This creates a large difference in pressure between, causing strong winds to blow from the high pressure in the desert out toward the Pacific Ocean.

As these winds come down the western slopes of the Rocky and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges, the air compresses -- causing it to warm up and dry out. Thus, the Santa Ana winds are known for being very hot and dry.

And as is the case with the Southern California wildfires -- it can be a firefighter's nightmare, as the hot, dry winds not only feed the fire, but dry out everything else the winds come in contact with.

xxxxxxxooooo
mama

I know so many kids at Pepperdine! Oh the Santa Ana's are here for sure.

Prayers for all who live in the area and for the firefighters and LE that they be safe.
Hope that you are safe Love_Mama

Shadow205, I live 120 miles South.......but have good friends near the area..

Just talked to my son in the San Fernando Valley, they had winds there over 50 miles an hour last nite and right now there is another wildfire .........in the valley. I'm trying to find out where it is.

I sure hope no one get's hurt.

xxooooooo
mama

Unless there is a fire nearby, we can smell this in Laguna Niguel. They are interviewing (via cell phone) the kids at Pepperdine. Seems like they have them in the cafeteria.

I was hoping the fires in Southern CA wouldn't happen this year, but no such luck. This is devastating.

Supposedly Buzz this fire, our first Santa Ana fire was started by downed electrical lines. Now just watch, some sicko arsonist will start another one.

Just mentioned on FOX.........they have absolutely NO handle of this fire.
Do you by the way know the area Buzz?
Beach on one side of highway, steep hills on the other....many of them built on stilts!
Only two ways to get out, go south or North on PCH.
(Pacific Coast Hiway)
They're getting the evacuee's out of through the North side. TON'S of smoke. Boy I wouldnt' want to be a fireman, fire lady!

xxxxoooo
mama

I hope they get all those kids OUT of there! The smoke alone is horrific!

xxxxxooo
mama
I am checking on them now. Couple of them are first year so I am sure moms and dads are feaking out. My kids went through this first year at SDSU and second year at USD. SD was on fire and I was beside myself.
I just got off the phone with one mom. She said the kids are NOT allowed off the campus or out anywhere.They are in the cafeteria The couple of kids on the news snuck off and should not have.
PCH is closed so she cannot get up there. I got to San Diego right before they closed the 5 the year I went through it with my boys.

There is a family that lives nearby the school and they will be there to get the girls out if necessary.

Supposedly Buzz this fire, our first Santa Ana fire was started by downed electrical lines. Now just watch, some sicko arsonist will start another one.

Just mentioned on FOX.........they have absolutely NO handle of this fire.
Do you by the way know the area Buzz?
Beach on one side of highway, steep hills on the other....many of them built on stilts!
Only two ways to get out, go south or North on PCH.
(Pacific Coast Hiway)
They're getting the evacuee's out of through the North side. TON'S of smoke. Boy I wouldnt' want to be a fireman, fire lady!

xxxxoooo
mama
I've driven through there L_M. but not in many years. The fiire has jumped the highway, and is now on the beach side, too.

It just jumped PCH......................OMG! (Pac. Coast Hiway)

xxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo
mama

Pepperdine, that's horrible. Hope no one is hurt. It jumped the highway?

MY SON IS THERE - THE LAST I HEARD HE WAS AT San Luis Obispo; going to drive up toward San Francisco. I'd better call him.

Thanks, Love Mama

I was hoping the fires in Southern CA wouldn't happen this year, but no such luck. This is devastating.
--yes--It seems like you guys get these huge wildfires every freaking year, you guys obviously need more rain but the overall weather pattern seems to be going against you ,, at least in the last few years

Silly me; I see that San Luis is north of Santa Barbara, so I think he already went through that area.

My daughter thought about going to Pepperdine, and one of her friends did go there a couple of years. It's a very nice, exclusive liberal arts school.

I am checking on them now. Couple of them are first year so I am sure moms and dads are feaking out. My kids went through this first year at SDSU and second year at USD. SD was on fire and I was beside myself.
I just got off the phone with one mom. She said the kids are NOT allowed off the campus or out anywhere.They are in the cafeteria The couple of kids on the news snuck off and should not have.
PCH is closed so she cannot get up there. I got to San Diego right before they closed the 5 the year I went through it with my boys.

There is a family that lives nearby the school and they will be there to get the girls out if necessary.

OMG I'd be dying if my kids were there now. I didn't realize that you had two kids down here during that awful fire..which by the way the anniversary will be on Oct. 25, same day my Annie is having her baby.

She came up with that trivia yesterday! LOL

I wonder, seriously wonder why they're keeping those kids in the Gym!
Maybe there are so many of them they just think they'd be safer there.
I mean, they'd have to have busses to get all of them out.

Can you friends get through to the kids with cell phones?

xxxxxxxxooo
mama
:blowkiss:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads