IL IL - Lee Cutler, 18, Buffalo Grove, Oct 2007

MelInTN

Reaction score
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/614772,missingteen102207.article

Missing teen's car found in Wisconsin

October 22, 2007
FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS
BUFFALO GROVE -- Police are investigating the disappearance of an 18-year-old Buffalo Grove man whose car has been found near a southwest Wisconsin corn field.
Lee S. Cutler of Buffalo Grove has been missing since Saturday morning, according to a release from Buffalo Grove police. He was last seen at a friend's home in Buffalo Grove that morning, the release said. He failed to show up for work in Vernon Hills later that day and has not been seen or heard from by his family or friends, "who state that his being out of contact is out of character for him," the release said.

(more at link)

Folks here say that car was found up at the rest area, not in a corn field. This area is a tourist area....but the season is over for the year for the most part so it is not a busy time now. The local paper here ran a bit about it today:

Authorities search hills for teen

The vehicle of a missing 18-year-old Illinois man was found at a rest stop east of Baraboo along Highway 33 Sunday night.
Authorities were searching wooded areas and hills near the rest stop Monday afternoon.

The man, named Lee, is described as being 6-feet tall and 145 pounds with brown eyes, medium length light brown hair.
He was last seen Saturday morning in his hometown of Buffalo Grove, Ill., according to his parents. See Tuesday's edition of the Baraboo News Republic for more details.

Some more details from http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/10736656.html

Oct 23, 2007

A missing Illinois teen’s car was found at a roadside rest area between Baraboo and Portage, Wis., leading his parents to travel to Wis. to help authorities search for the teen.

Beth Frazin, the teen’s mother and Barry Frazin, the teen’s stepfather traveled to Sauk County from their Buffalo Grove, Ill. home to help authorities search for 18-year-old Lee S. Cutler. Cutler’s gray 2007 Toyota Corolla was found at a rest area along state Highway 33 Sunday night.

Barry Frazin, the teen’s stepfather, said Cutler has been going through a difficult time, dealing with his grandmother’s battle with cancer, another friend having cancer and stresses with school. Cutler’s parents say they don’t know why he would have traveled to Wis.

Barry Frazin said the teen has an ex-girlfriend who lives in Cedarburg, but that wouldn’t explain why his car would be in Sauk County. Frazin said Cutler went to a birthday party Friday night and spent the night at a friend’s house. On Saturday morning, Cutler drove another friend home and said he was going to work.

Tracking of Cutler’s cell phone indicates the last time it was used was 12:30 a.m. Saturday.

Authorities plan to conduct a dive search in the Baraboo River Tuesday.

pic

14400894_240X180.jpg

The parents of a missing Illinois teen were on hand as Wisconsin authorities searched fields and forests Monday in the area where his car was discovered.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5721802

Police, Parents Search For Missing Suburban Teen

As CBS 2's Joanie Lum reports, Lee Cutler, 18, is a senior at Adlai E. Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire. He was reported missing since Saturday morning after not showing up at a new job, which is friends said is out of character.

They said there is no indication that anything is going wrong in his life.

Police said Cutler Cutler went to a birthday party Friday night and spent the night at a friend's house. Police said afterward, he dropped off a friend Saturday and was going to his workplace at a Rock America store in Vernon Hills, but he never arrived.

~snip~

Tracking of calls on Cutler's cell phone indicated the last time it was used was at 12:30 a.m. Saturday. Family and friends are concerned because Cutler's cell phone voice mail is full, so they have set up a Facebook page to gather leads in his disappearance.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/buffalo.grove.teen.2.411307.html

A backpack and blankets belonging to a missing Buffalo Grove teenager turned up in a search of the area near Baraboo, Wis., where authorities found his car, police said today.

Lee S. Cutler's 2007 Toyota Corolla was found locked Monday at a wayside on Highway 33 in Fairfield Township, police said.

Cutler's possessions were found near the Baraboo River. The Sauk County sheriff's office scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. Tuesday to discuss developments.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-missing_23_bothoct23,1,7219581.story

Please keep us posted on the news conference. If they have alrerady told us about the car and his belongings, I wonder what the press conference is about.

I haven't found any coverage of a press conference.

Teen's Car, Pack Found in Wisconsin Cornfield

Yesterday, it was his car. Today, it was a backpack and blankets.

Authorities hope that the two discoveries in less than two days will help lead to 18-year-old Lee Cutler, an Illinois high school senior last seen leaving a friend's house Saturday morning.

~snip~

An initial foot search of the area turned up no signs of the teen, and deputies failed to locate tracks leading away from the car. The foot search, as well as an aerial search, broadened today, while deputies combed the banks of the Baraboo River.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3765472&page=1

~snip~

Stammen said that Cutler's keys were not in the Corolla when it was found and that there were signs of a struggle.

Search teams walked through nearby cornfields and wooded areas between Baraboo and Portage, authorities said. Stammen said the backpack and blankets were found Monday on the banks of the Baraboo River.

There also has been an air search, authorities said.

"This is a glacial area," Stammen said. "There are large bluffs, marshland, cornfields."

He said a patrol boat with sonar radar was used to search the river, which he said was high and moving swiftly.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-missing_24_bothoct24,1,6022.story

~snip~

Family members found a receipt from Kettle Moraine State Forest in Cutler's car. It appeared to have been printed at 1:41 p.m. Saturday. The forest has a southern unit near Whitewater, on the route between Cutler's hometown and Baraboo, and a northern unit that is north of Cedarburg, where he has an ex-girlfriend.

Cutler has been known to hike in bluffs like the ones near Baraboo.

The sheriff says teams searched the area on foot and by airplane today. Searchers also used a dive team and a boat with sonar equipment to check the Baraboo River.

More searching is planned Wednesday.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/10739466.html

An empty pill bottle and letters to and from loved ones have been found by searchers looking for an Illinois teen whose car was found parked in a highway rest area Sunday night near the hiking country of the Baraboo bluffs.

Details about the letters were not disclosed, but Sauk County Sheriff Randy Stammen says in a news release that the bottle was for Advil PM, an over-the-counter pain reliever and sleeping aid.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=5725154

Dr. Perper (on NG) said he knows of no suicides or overdoses from Advilpm. This is encouraging.

It was soooo sad watching the mother trying to reach out to him. I hope that he is found soon and safe.

Advil PM is fairly new on the market, so I'm not suprised there's no reported suicides yet.

I wish we could find that peice of the puzzle that took him from Buffalo Grove Illinois all the way up to Baraboo Wisconsin.

Before he got to Baraboo, though, he had a time stamped receipt in his car that was from Kettle Moraine State Forest, in Campbellsport WI. I have no idea what brought him from Buffalo Grove... to Kettle Moraine state forest... to Baraboo WI. However, there is a well known State forest in Baraboo. It's called Devils Lake State Park, and the park is very close to where his car was found- but he was NOT at the park. He could have just driven right to it. I do think, though, that he was trying to get there, for whatever reason.

According to mapquest, the time it takes to get from Buffalo Grove to Kettle Moraine State Park is 1 hour, 57 minutes (110.12 miles). Then, from Kettle Moraine State Park to Baraboo WI (Devils Lake):
Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 56 minutes Total Est. Distance: 95.94 miles

I think we have a person here that is more familiar with this area than I am. I spend several weekends at Devils Lake each summer, but I don't know the highways at all- hubby always drives. How far was Lee's car from the park?

Hmmmm...this is beginning to set off bells for me. You know what I mean, MsSheila?!

I was thinking about it last night while trying to sleep and something kept nagging at me. Now I know why.

Advil PM is fairly new on the market, so I'm not suprised there's no reported suicides yet.

The sleep agent in any of the PM meds is Benadryl. You can commit suicide with it. But I think you would have major halucinations and physical side affects first. Because of that people call for help first before it ends up being fatal.

It's odd that there were both signs of a struggle and potential suicide notes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back