CT - Sex Offender Changes Name to Get Around Registry Issue

Reaction score
SOUTH WINDSOR, Conn. -- Sex offenders on the state's online registry have an easy way to move into the neighborhood, the Channel 3 I-Team has learned.
Khadafi Castro lived in Metro Hartford until he returned to prison a few months ago. Unbeknownst to his neighbors, Castro is a registered sex offender.
However, residents couldn't look up Castro on the Connecticut Sex Offender Registry. When Castro was convicted of a sex assault, his name was Davon Bailey. Bailey legally changed his name while in prison, and his online sex offender registry entry didn't change to reflect the new name. Castro's case came to light this spring when South Windsor police pulled him over on Route 5 on a license plate violation. Police told the I-Team that the officers didn't know about Castro's background until dispatchers ran a more detailed background check on a system available only to law enforcement.

"It's a little troubling that people get under the radar," South Windsor police Sgt. Scott Custer said. "So, we do those further checks, and it was that further check that revealed that Davon Bailey and Khadafi Castro were one and the same person."

John Danaher, the state's public safety commissioner, admitted that the state's sex offender registry -- a cutting-edge system a decade ago -- has major shortcomings.

http://www.wfsb.com/iteam/14490416/detail.html?rss=hart&psp=news

how is that possible? I figured there be more to it like they'd check for credit issues and all sorts of stuff before they'd allow a name change(sorry I am bit dense and full whatever it is that makes me have faith in the system)

how is that possible? I figured there be more to it like they'd check for credit issues and all sorts of stuff before they'd allow a name change(sorry I am bit dense and full whatever it is that makes me have faith in the system)

I thought the same thing: wouldn't a court do a background check before allowing a name change to make sure the petitioner wasn't trying to elude creditors or didn't have a criminal record?

Hoppy

I have a feeling some things will change in that state.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back