Study ties Daylight Saving Time shift, pedestrian deaths

Dark Knight

Reaction score
After clocks are turned back this weekend, pedestrians walking during the evening rush hour are nearly three times more likely to be struck and killed by cars than before the time change, two scientists calculate.

Ending daylight savings time translates into about 37 more U.S. pedestrian deaths around 6 p.m. in November compared to October, the researchers report. Their study of risk to pedestrians is preliminary, but confirms previous findings of higher deaths after clocks are set back in fall.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071102/ap_on_sc/time_change_accidents&printer=1

I just heard on the news that it takes the average person 5 days to adjust to this time change, and about 2 weeks to the one in the spring.

I know this is true for me. The spring time change kicks my butt every year. I hate that one.

I don't mind the change, but our kids get all messed up and that's annoying.

Interesting info, DK.

I don't mind the change, but our kids get all messed up and that's annoying.

Interesting info, DK.

Not even the spring one? I personally LOVE the one in the fall :)

I thought turning the clock back made it safer for school children walking to school and bus stops in the mornings when it gets pitched black toward the end of October.

Having just started a job where I have to be there at 6:30 am, I'm soooooo looking forward to this time change!!!! :dance:

The one in the spring, though...:banghead: :mad: :doh: :sick: :bang:

i hate the one in the fall. i have to get up earlier to go to work. right?
ok, dangit. i have to go to work on saturday and sunday at 7am. so, sunday, to go to work at 7am... what do i have to do. HELP

i hate the one in the fall. i have to get up earlier to go to work. right?
ok, dangit. i have to go to work on saturday and sunday at 7am. so, sunday, to go to work at 7am... what do i have to do. HELP

Before you go to bed Saturday night, set your clocks BACK one hour and it should all work out. You're basically getting an extra hour of sleep, as 2am becomes 1am.

Before you go to bed Saturday night, set your clocks BACK one hour and it should all work out. You're basically getting an extra hour of sleep, as 2am becomes 1am.

Sleep? Are you serious? Uh-huh, it's more time to Websleuth! :woohoo: :woohoo:

:D

so this is a GOOD thing, right
like i am going in at 8am?

YEAHHHHH I'VE BEEN FREAKING OUT FOR WEEKS THINKING THAT THE WEEKEND I GO BACK FROM SURGERY IS THE WEEKEND OF THIS CRAPPY TIME TIME!!!
Thank you WSers and DK for saving my sanity!!!! I get an extra hour of sleep between my two shifts!!!!!!

I thought turning the clock back made it safer for school children walking to school and bus stops in the mornings when it gets pitched black toward the end of October.

The scope of this study was very narrow, and the article says that it cuts back on pedestrian accidents in the mornings.

It is supposed to be safer for school children walking to the bus stop or to school. And, typically, kids are home from school before the hours this study is talking about.

Daylight savings time is also about saving energy.

my husband has no concept of this stuff, so i have been trying to get him to explain this to me and he's like... i dunno, i grew up on a farm, we just get up when the sun goes up and go to sleep when the sun goes down... LOL...

YEAHHHHH I'VE BEEN FREAKING OUT FOR WEEKS THINKING THAT THE WEEKEND I GO BACK FROM SURGERY IS THE WEEKEND OF THIS CRAPPY TIME TIME!!!
Thank you WSers and DK for saving my sanity!!!! I get an extra hour of sleep between my two shifts!!!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yup! This is the good time change. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy