FL - Razor Blade In Halloween Candy Bar

Wonder how long until they find out she put it there.

Every last case, as far back as they can be found - it was always the parents or guardians that put it there, for a bit of media attention.

I agree, you can bet the mom probably did this.

yeah.. it's Florida,, after all....!!!

A razor blade was also found in a candy bar in Niles, Ohio:

Tainted candy to be examined

By AMANDA SMITH-TEUTSCH Tribune Chronicle

NILES — A 10-year-old Niles boy found a knife blade inside a Halloween treat Wednesday night.

‘‘Marquis pulled out a Milky Way — it was the first thing he went for — and he said, ‘Look, I’ve got a knife in my candy,’’’ said his great-aunt, Rochelle Floyd.

Marquis Porterfield, 10, had gone trick-or-treating with his brother and sister, Mar’tae, 8, and Rea’lyti, 7, and Floyd’s 16-year-old daughter, Ashley, in the Floyds’ neighborhood Wednesday night. The children had gone from Floyd’s Scott Avenue home to Summit Avenue, then to Robbins Avenue, and back to Scott along Ambrose, she said.

They came back all wound up and excited about their goodies, Floyd said.

‘‘I looked at his candy, and there was the Milky Way bar with a blade from a utility knife shoved in the middle,’’ Floyd said. ‘‘He’d reached his hand in and dug around a bit before he pulled the candy out.’’

The blade was sharp on both ends and was sticking out from each side of the candy bar, she said.

The child wasn’t hurt, but Floyd called police and also called neighborhood parents to let them know of the danger. She said she also told Marquis’ mom, who inspected the other children’s candy.

‘‘After they’d been to a couple hundred houses, there was no way of knowing where the candy came from,’’ Floyd said.

The children had gone from Floyd’s Scott Avenue home to Summit Avenue, then to Robbins Avenue, and back to Scott along Ambrose, she said.

Police Chief Bruce Simeone said the candy is being sent to a laboratory to determine when the candy became tainted — if it happened at the factory or if someone had placed the blade in after the candy was purchased.

‘‘We always stress that kids should never eat their Halloween candy until they’ve come home and their parents inspect it,’’ Simeone said.

It’s not the first time a parent has reported finding dangerous objects in Halloween treats, he said. Several years ago, police issued a lookout that parents had found needles hidden inside treats, Simeone said.

‘‘After they’d been to a couple hundred houses, there was no way of knowing where the candy came from,’’ Floyd said.

OK..who DOES this?! I didn't even do this growing up when things seemed normal.

Again - first item pulled out - you can bet this was the parents. And - few hundred - no way. But like always, the results won't be in for awhile showing they did it, and by then, several hundred thousand people will only remember the news report that Halloween candy isn't safe.

Even for a criminal, a pedophile, a sociopath, it's too dumb to give out hazardous candy right from your front door.

No what gets me, even when I was a kid, mom and dad said no eating any candy until we got home and they would go thru all our bags. We lived in the country, so dad was usually the one to drive us and like do you think we really listened? Of course not, we all would sneak a piece here or there. That always bugged me when my daughter was growing up. When I took her and her friends, they each had the cheapo pumpkins and it would all get dumped in a huge box back in my car and at the end of the 2 hour limit for trick or treating, first stop was the cop shop to have it all searched. Once I got the tribe home, everything was divided equally with the kids stating their favorites and going from there. Pain in the butt? Yup, but back then, it had become the norm for folks on the street in costume just to be walking by and passing out candy. I wasn't taking any chances.

A couple hundred houses? There's no way!

We had really good weather this year, and I'd be SHOCKED if my kids got to 50 houses. I bet it was less than 30, and we're in a suburban neighborhood where the houses are really close.

I sure hope it wasn't the mom, that always freaks me out.

A couple hundred houses? There's no way!

We had really good weather this year, and I'd be SHOCKED if my kids got to 50 houses. I bet it was less than 30, and we're in a suburban neighborhood where the houses are really close.

I sure hope it wasn't the mom, that always freaks me out.

ITA. It was a gorgeous night here, and our neighbors even sit together out in the cul-de-sacs to socialize. The kids don't even have to go to the doors, just take a piece from each bowl. Still, I bet they hit only 50 houses. My oldest and his buddies...maybe a few more since my DH took them to one of the back sections of the neighborhood and they weren't waiting on little sis.

I make a big show of examining each piece of candy for my kids, but it's not so much that I'm worried about tampering. I want them to be just a little afraid to sneak a piece without asking. Otherwise they'd eat the whole bucket when I'm not looking! Now that my DS12 is taller than me, the top of the fridge isn't the safe place to hide things that it once was. :eek:

LOL.. yeah, but you gotta admit... FLa has more than its share of weirdos and strange stuff going on down there...

OK..who DOES this?! I didn't even do this growing up when things seemed normal.

Niles is a stone's throw from here. I do believe that they probably covered a lot of houses. Everyone lives on top of eachother in the area described. We live in an area with the houses spread out and I know we 'covered' almost 75 homes in two hours. We don't run, either. I don't understand why people have to question every little thing about every story....

Niles is a stone's throw from here. I do believe that they probably covered a lot of houses. Everyone lives on top of eachother in the area described. We live in an area with the houses spread out and I know we 'covered' almost 75 homes in two hours. We don't run, either. I don't understand why people have to question every little thing about every story....

I agree..and can i ask why everyone seems to think the mother did it....what gives you that idea?just asking of course....

I am just amazed that a couple of hundred homes don't seem like much to you. I guess to me it sounds gluttonous.

I only question the things I find to be out of the norm. Isn't that what we do here?! Hmmmm...maybe I am on the wrong site then.

I for one know how news stories get things wrong,so it is possible that a few hundred houses was meant to be a few houses..but whatever thats not the topic of the story or is it?

....I sure hope it wasn't the mom, that always freaks me out.
Just remember - if it was - she was making sure she caught the candy, not that she wanted to hurt the kid. It's just done for the attention.

I agree..and can i ask why everyone seems to think the mother did it....what gives you that idea?just asking of course....
If you look on Snopes.com, you'll see some nice links about this - every last time, it's been the parents, or similar. There hasn't yet been a real case where a real stranger thought giving poison out of his house where he's oh so easy to catch actually happened, instead it's parents or guardians, or some such, who want a little attention.

Of course, here there are the earmarks as well - a grossly inflated number of houses (couple of hundred at 10 years old? Not happening - as a teen, I trick or treated until I got dirty looks, we'd run between houses, go the whole time - and no way did we hit 100), the 'tampered' candy is the first one pulled out, the parents find it, the razor is obvious. Could be the father - but the mother found it, and that most likely means she put it there, on top of the pile, to find.

I am just amazed that a couple of hundred homes don't seem like much to you. I guess to me it sounds gluttonous.

I only question the things I find to be out of the norm. Isn't that what we do here?! Hmmmm...maybe I am on the wrong site then.
I was a gluttoneous young teenager, going to every house I could, from the earliest moment mom let us out, until porch lites were being turned off. Even a hundred houses sounds way too high. Especially for a 10 year old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back