Massive dog breeding farm rescue in Va.

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
RICHMOND, Va. - A dog breeding operation that was home to more than 600 breeding females is now the site of a huge rescue operation, with the owner agreeing to relinquish nearly 1,000 dogs for treatment and possible adoption.

Hundreds of puppies, mostly small, purebred varieties such as pugs, corgis and King Charles spaniels were taken to an emergency operations center staffed by volunteer veterinarians, Carroll County Administrator Gary Larrowe said Thursday. He estimated that as many as 120 people are involved at any given time, and said the pet store chain PetSmart sent a tractor-trailer load of supplies. "I'm not sure what we would have done with 1,000 dogs otherwise," he said.

The dog breeding operation was uncovered by the Humane Society of the United States during a five-month investigation into so-called "puppy mills" in Virginia. Local animal rights groups made sure the county was aware of the report, and the county then asked for state help. Many of the dogs were discovered in cages made of wire fencing and wood framing, said the Humane Society's John Snyder. The animals largely appeared to be in good shape, Larrowe said, although many were denied the socialization that produces good pets.

Junior Horton, the owner of the breeding operation, has been breeding dogs for more than 20 years, he told authorities, and had a license to have as many as 500 dogs. Earlier this week, Horton called the effort to remove dogs from his farm "dognapping." He said, "They just come in on me out of the blue." "I've got the best kennel in southwest Virginia," he said. In negotiations with county officials, Horton will keep 200 dogs and will secure the proper licensing and comply with federal laws for dog breeders, Larrowe said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071109/ap_on_re_us/puppy_emergency

I hate puppy mills....however, the dogs in the picture look in good health and the cages were clean. I don't agree with taking all the dogs away. Maybe they should tell him he needs to make the cages bigger or let them out *advertiser censored* number hours a day. I agree with this man. It IS like stealing. He has a license for the operation. Unless the dogs are being mistreated and not cared for..I don't see how this can happen. BUT...I don't agree with the concept of puppy mills and WOULD NEVER buy a dog from them.

This creep had over 1000 dogs and was only licensed to have up to 500. He broke the law.

He doesn't care about those dogs, he's only mad because his wallet is going to get hit.

Puppymils in any way, shape or form are disgusting, and this brings us one step closer to creating a total intolerance to them and hopefully banning them one day soon. Being clean and fed is the most basic of a dog's needs and doesn't come close to being enough to keep a dog happy, or living the life that it should.

The Humane Society knows what it's doing. I believe we'll be seeing animal cruelty charges soon enough.

"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~Mohandas Gandhi

UGH! I hate, hate, hate puppy mills. I abhore what they do with the poor dogs that they do to breed. The females are kept pregnant most of their lives and discarded when they can no longer produce. When there are pups that don't meet the 'standard' they are 'dumped' at pounds or worse. Sometimes do to overbreeding you get horrible defects and these dogs suffer. I'm not going to get on my soapbox and go on and on cause it's early and I've not had enough coffee so I'll just say UGH and I actually would be happy to see him lose all of the dogs. It's nothing more than a money making machine to him (a dog that is). He is not producing good socaliazed animals this way by keeping them in cages.

I hate puppy mills also and wish there was much more that could be done to prevent things like this happening. This man has made his money for the last 20 years by breeding as many poor animals as he could. It's all about the money to people like this. What I would like to see happen is for them to track some of the animals that came from this place so people can see that the cute cuddly puppy that was bought at the pet store did in fact come from a puppy mill, people have a tendency to put blinders on and think they are not contributing to such things when in fact they do every day. If people like this could not make the money they wouldn't stay in the business.

VB

This creep had over 1000 dogs and was only licensed to have up to 500. He broke the law.

He doesn't care about those dogs, he's only mad because his wallet is going to get hit.

Puppymils in any way, shape or form are disgusting, and this brings us one step closer to creating a total intolerance to them and hopefully banning them one day soon. Being clean and fed is the most basic of a dog's needs and doesn't come close to being enough to keep a dog happy, or living the life that it should.

The Humane Society knows what it's doing. I believe we'll be seeing animal cruelty charges soon enough.

"The measure of a society can be how well its people treat its animals." ~Mohandas Gandhi
Look..I am not saying I support puppy mills. BUT they are legal. If I had my way...they wouldn't be. If he has a permit for 500 ...and he had 1000...he needs to be fined. All I am saying is that at least they were clean and watered and fed. So many puppy mills aren't even that nice. Would I buy a puppy from one? No WAY!!!! I do think animal cruelty charges are out of line for this one. JMO

UGH! I hate, hate, hate puppy mills. I abhore what they do with the poor dogs that they do to breed. The females are kept pregnant most of their lives and discarded when they can no longer produce. When there are pups that don't meet the 'standard' they are 'dumped' at pounds or worse. Sometimes do to overbreeding you get horrible defects and these dogs suffer. I'm not going to get on my soapbox and go on and on cause it's early and I've not had enough coffee so I'll just say UGH and I actually would be happy to see him lose all of the dogs. It's nothing more than a money making machine to him (a dog that is). He is not producing good socaliazed animals this way by keeping them in cages.
Yeah..I hate that some never see the outside of a cage. SO very sad!:(

Look..I am not saying I support puppy mills. BUT they are legal. If I had my way...they wouldn't be. If he has a permit for 500 ...and he had 1000...he needs to be fined. All I am saying is that at least they were clean and watered and fed. So many puppy mills aren't even that nice. Would I buy a puppy from one? No WAY!!!! I do think animal cruelty charges are out of line for this one. JMO

I think the only thing we differ on are the animal cruelty charges. It's worded that they may be forthcoming, so I'm reserving judgement until we hear more. From experience, I am just assuming that things weren't totally kosher there - they rarely are at mills.

We both agree puppymills are evil and should be abolished!

From experience, I am just assuming that things weren't totally kosher there - they rarely are at mills.

We both agree puppymills are evil and should be abolished!
I know!!! That is why I don't like them. I wish there were laws in place that said...ok...you have to have so much area for each dog. They have to be out of the cage for XXXX many hours a day. They have to have mandatory vet checks every XXXX months...etc. They should have a minimum standard for food...because you know that all dog food is not created equal. In other words, they should have MUCH stricter standards than they do now.

Greedy, greedy, greedy! I can't understand how someone can make their living this way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back