Saudi girl sentenced to 200 lashes + jail sentence for being gang raped

I'd like to know what kind of sentence the rapists got, how terrible for this poor girl.

VB

Actually, as a result of the media coverage, the judges doubled everyone's sentences, including the victims. Some of the participating males received less than a year, but the sentences now run from 2 years to 9. (The forced sodomy got a longer sentence.) The judges also disbarred the victim's attorney and have refused to allow her a new one...ideally we will apply a great deal of pressure as a nation to ensure she is released prior to being punished like we did for the woman who was to be stoned to death for adultery last year...remember that case? She was raped as well and bore a child. Saudi Arabia is such a good friend of ours, we should be able to count on that I would hope. No offense to any, but they owe us kinda big from 9/11 seeing as the majority of the hijackers were Saudi I believe.

Actually, as a result of the media coverage, the judges doubled everyone's sentences, including the victims. Some of the participating males received less than a year, but the sentences now run from 2 years to 9. (The forced sodomy got a longer sentence.) The judges also disbarred the victim's attorney and have refused to allow her a new one...ideally we will apply a great deal of pressure as a nation to ensure she is released prior to being punished like we did for the woman who was to be stoned to death for adultery last year...remember that case? She was raped as well and bore a child. Saudi Arabia is such a good friend of ours, we should be able to count on that I would hope. No offense to any, but they owe us kinda big from 9/11 seeing as the majority of the hijackers were Saudi I believe.

Do you have a link to any articles, Believe?

:furious: :furious: how is it possible this can occur in todays day and age- this is not caveman era-----------
this is when, even as upset as we may be with the situtation of our own country---- we need to remember how blessed we are in the United States of America........( and alot of other countries)

This is almost unreal.....poor girl...like she WANTED to be raped.....:furious: ....

I am wondering if there is any way to get her out of the country..certainly some mercenary group would be outraged enough to do something...Wonder if Bush will intervene in this undemocratic sentence and if he will do anything about this human rights violation?

Despite being a friend of the USA, Saudi Arabia has a horrible record for human rights, especially for women. Unfortunately we need them- they are our biggest Islamic ally in the Middle East. No doubt our government will hide their heads in the sand and hope it blows over.

Saudi Arabia and the rest of the strict muslim countries are all backwards and halfa$$ed in their views towards women.
It's disgusting, and has been that way forever, and the likelihood that it will change is slim. The only way i could see getting her out is hiring Contractors to go and do it. They are usually exceptionally skilled in military tactics to some degree. Then the question is, who would pay them. Then Saudis would most likely be pissed at us for meddling in their inhumane affairs. argh.

If anyone really thinks that the Saudis are going to let this girl off because of international pressure or anyone else "commenting" on their laws, I would think that this is not going to happen.

It is their law for their country. No one can "dictate" to another country how they conduct their courts, legal system and sentencing, no matter how "unfair" unjust or just inhumane.

It may work when a person is going to die by stoning, because the personal may die, but not for lashes and a jail sentence.

If you visit Saudi and "choose" to dress in shorts and a T shirt walking down the street and are arrested, is your defence "Well in the USA I can walk down the street like this and I would never be arrested.

Oh, but guess what: You are in our country and follow our laws.

If anyone really thinks that the Saudis are going to let this girl off because of international pressure or anyone else "commenting" on their laws, I would think that this is not going to happen.

It is their law for their country. No one can "dictate" to another country how they conduct their courts, legal system and sentencing, no matter how "unfair" unjust or just inhumane.

It may work when a person is going to die by stoning, because the personal may die, but not for lashes and a jail sentence.

If you visit Saudi and "choose" to dress in shorts and a T shirt walking down the street and are arrested, is your defence "Well in the USA I can walk down the street like this and I would never be arrested.

Oh, but guess what: You are in our country and follow our laws.

Excellent post cyber and brought up an excellent point. Its surprising how many women - mothers even that are often involved in the meting (sic?)out of the punishment. Unfortunately, this sort of treatment of women happens alot more than is reported, the D'ua Al kahlil and Banaz Mahmood (UK) cases were one of the most disturbing id ever seen. I would be quite surprised if this poor girl doesnt turn up in a few months as the victim of "honour killing" or disguised as a suicide. It also doesnt just happen in the middle east/ africa/ india - there are reported cases in the US, UK, Sweden, Germany etc. For anyone interested in the statistics and case studies, please visit http://www.stophonourkillings.com/ or http://www.gendercide.org/case_honour.html

:furious: :furious: how is it possible this can occur in todays day and age- this is not caveman era-----------
this is when, even as upset as we may be with the situtation of our own country---- we need to remember how blessed we are in the United States of America........( and alot of other countries)

Yes. It's one of those times where I get down on my knees and thank God for the separation of Church and State.

Sentence upheld by Saudi judiciary. How sad! No way this poor girl got justice.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312372,00.html

Thats very disappointing news, although im not particularly surprised. Im very sad for her, i think she is a very heroic person to have spoken to the media about her ordeal as a victim and subsequent punishment for being a victim particularly in view of the society she has to live in.

Here's an article with a very different view of the case - from her husband.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/21/saudi.rape.victim/index.html
..."The court proceedings were like a spectacle at times," he said. "The criminals were allowed in the same room as my wife. They were allowed to make all kinds of offensive gestures and give her dirty and threatening looks."
Of the three judges at the trial, one of them "was mean and from the beginning dealt with my wife as guilty person who had done something wrong," he said.
"The judge took things personally and was reacting to our lawyer, who's a known human rights activist," the husband said. "The judge undermined the lawyer, decreased his role and then dismissed him from the case altogether. The judge simply couldn't work with our lawyer."
The woman was originally sentenced in October 2006 to 90 lashes. But when she appealed, the court more than doubled her sentence.
The husband said the judge was pursuing "a personal vendetta."
"We were shocked when the judgment changed and her sentence was doubled," the husband said. "We were looking for pardon; instead, she got double the whipping and more jail time."
"If this sentence is based on the law, then I would've welcomed it," the husband said. "But it is harsh, and the Saudi society I know and belong to is more sympathetic than that. I do not expect such harshness from Saudis, but rather compassion and support of the victim and her rights."
Saudi society is very respectful to women in general, he said.

Sounds like he's not only very supportive of his wife (thank goodness!), but also that he's saying it was not typical Saudi justice, but a travesty, caused by a runaway judge with a vendetta. Now, of course, IMHO, the true test of Saudi justice is if they allow the verdict to stand - but it's at least good to see that maybe this is less than typical.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back