RI RI - Katrina McVeigh, 27, Woonsocket, 3 May 1992

Rle7

Reaction score
It's been 15 years since Katrina McVeigh, a 27-year-old mother of three, went missing from the city's streets, and her mother, Charlotte Saulnier of Mississippi, wants to know why the case remains unsolved all these years later.

The discovery of Vicki Connolly's body off Spring Lake Road in Burrillville Nov. 9 rekindled attention to the unsolved disappearance of McVeigh along with the unsolved deaths of other city women in past years - Meaghan Paul on North Main Street in 1994, and Cindy Roberts, whose remains were recovered from a wooded section of Lincoln after she went missing July 2001.

McVeigh's mother has been following the recent case from her home in Mississippi and on Friday voiced criticism of local police for never solving her daughter's mystery.

From Saulnier's perspective, police failed early on to locate her daughter's body even though the family believes she was killed by someone close to her and buried for a time on the banks of the Blackstone River in the city.

Katrina's alleged murder, her mother believes, came at the end of a longstanding abusive relationship that first cost Katrina her home, custody of her three children and then her life.

The lack of any conclusion to her daughter's case had Saulnier questioning the Woonsocket Police Department's commitment to pursue it.

http://www.woonsocketcall.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19035356&BRD=1712&PAG=461&dept_id=24361&rfi=6

This is so sad. Thank you for posting the article. Prayers for Katrina's family.

Bumping...

"You will never find her." The caller told Charlotte Saulnier. The caller was referring to her twenty-seven year old daughter Katrina McVeigh. The mother of three disappeared from Front and Lincoln Street in Woonsocket in June of 1992. The family strongly believes that Katrina is deceased and knew her murderer. She had just gotten out of an longterm abusive relationship. Her last known address was 295 Second Avenue. Her brother has stated that he believed that she may have been buried on the banks of the Blackstone River in town. Sadly her disappearance is not the only case of disappearances and unsolved murders in the town of Woonsocket.

Photo at link:

http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/unsolvedct/Rhodeisland.html

Todd Thibeault’s family considers a rusty bridge running over the Blackstone River as a memorial to his sister.

There are no signs that explain it. There’s nothing around that indicates why the bridge matters to his family. But every few years, they come from Indiana to stand on it.

“A river can become a memorial to somebody when you don’t have answers,” Thibeault said. “It’s for mom. Mom deserves the right to know.”

In 1992, his big sister Katrina McVeigh disappeared. He was 16. She was 27.

...SBM

As time went on, Saulnier received a cryptic phone call.

“It was something to the effect that ‘you can find your daughter by the river bank,'” Thibeault recalled.

They searched along the river with Woonsocket police cadaver dogs. Nothing turned up. Thibeault still believes they’ll find her somewhere along the Blackstone.

“Just wondering, you know, if all those years, if I just kept on going up this way if I would’ve found something,” he said.

...SBM

The family has always wanted to know who was involved. Now, they just want to know where she is.

“It’s not about who anymore,” Thibeault said. “Maybe somebody will drop a line and say, ‘hey, this is where she was at and that’s all the information you’re going to get’ and as far as the family side, that’s satisfaction.”

As police look for answers, they added the investigation to a deck of playing cards. Each card highlights an unsolved homicide or missing persons case in Rhode Island.

Katrina McVeigh is the 9 of diamonds.

Family mourns missing mother 27 years after she vanished

Katrina McVeigh

upload_2019-8-4_1-24-14.jpeg
Xyb8AeY.jpg
mcveigh-card.jpg

• Missing Since 05/03/1992
  • Missing From Woonsocket, Rhode Island
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Age 27 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'1, 90 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair.

Details of Disappearance

McVeigh was last seen getting into a car near Front and Lincoln Streets in Woonsocket, Rhode Island on May 3, 1992. She was involved with drugs and prostitution at the time of her disappearance, and she had just gotten out of a long-standing abusive relationship. She has never been heard from again. Her family didn't report her missing until June 17, six weeks later.

McVeigh has three children, but she didn't have custody of them at the time of her disappearance. Her last address was in the 200 block of Second Avenue. Foul play is suspected in her case; investigators believe she is deceased. They have identified persons of interest, but no one has been charged in connection with her disappearance.

Several other women have disappeared or been murdered in Woonsocket since McVeigh's disappearance. Audrey Harris disappeared in 2003 and Christine Dumont in 2004. The serial killer Jeffrey S. Mailhot later pleaded guilty to their murders, but their bodies have never been found.

In 2012, Michael DuCharme pleaded guilty to Vicki Connolly, who was killed in 2007. The homicides of Meaghan Paul, who was killed in 1994, and Cindy Roberts, who was killed in 2001, remain unsolved. Like McVeigh, Paul was involved with drugs and prostitution, but it hasn't been proven that the two cases are related.

McVeigh's family believes she was murdered by someone close to her and then buried on the banks of the Blackstone River. Her brother searched that area and found what he believed were some of her clothes. After McVeigh's disappearance, her mother got anonymous phone calls from someone saying she would never find McVeigh. Her case remains unsolved.

Katrina McVeigh – The Charley Project

The rusty steel span that carries Sayles Street across the Blackstone River is a common old truss bridge, typical of the mill towns of the Northeast, but for Charlotte Saulnier it became a sort of shrine.
Even after she moved to Mississippi, she'd return to the spot once a year to honor the memory of Katrina McVeigh, her daughter, a mother of three who vanished without a trace 25 years ago.
"I'd bring a bouquet of carnations because those were her favorite," said Saulnier. "I'd throw the flowers in the river and just pray that they would find her."
A petite woman with wavy brown hair and a flashy smile, McVeigh was 27 years old and had three small children when she disappeared, the oldest of them a daughter, Natasha, who was just seven. Saulnier says her daughter was a loving, kind-hearted girl who worked hard to take care of her children. Married to an abusive man, however, the cards were stacked against her.
She was last seen getting into a car at Lincoln and Front streets on or about May 15, 1992, although she wasn't reported missing to the police until the following month - by Saulnier.
At the time, McVeigh wasn't living with her husband, Richard McVeigh - he'd been in and out of prison. She was residing at 295 Second Ave. with a friend named Judy Burton, who was supposedly the last person to see her alive, according to Saulnier.
The apartment in the Fairmount section was the last stop for Katrina after a violent falling out with her husband. She had been living in a shelter for battered women, but she was forced to leave when Richard McVeigh somehow figured out the secret location of the site and showed up there looking for her. Deemed a security risk, the operators of the facility told her to leave.
For a time, said Saulnier, McVeigh was homeless and lived in World War II Memorial Park until Burton, feeling sorry for her, took her in. When Saulnier decided to honor her daughter's memory by tossing carnations into the Blackstone River, the location wasn't an arbitrary choice. Saulnier says she had good reason to believe that her daughter was buried somewhere along the Blackstone - because Richard McVeigh allegedly told her so.
In the weeks after her daughter vanished, Richard McVeigh called her on the telephone "and told me she was by the Blackstone River."
"Did he kill her? I don't know," says Saulnier. "I can't point the finger at him. But he was involved. I'm positive he knew."
Thibeault says rumors that his sister was buried along the riverbank prompted him to search for her remains on more than one occasion. Not more than a couple of weeks after McVeigh disappeared, Thibeault said he found what he believed was the shirt his sister was wearing when she was last seen. He found it in an area where the river cuts through Costa Park.
That's when another strange thing happened, according to Saulnier.
A FRIEND OF HERS, who was in a Bible study class with Richard McVeigh, called her on the phone. He had a message for her that she believes came from McVeigh.
The caller told her to tell her son: "You're never going to find her."
The menacing warning has always been a source of great - sometimes unmanageable - emotional pain for Saulnier. "For years I had nightmares of her being dumped someplace, animals pulling her apart," she says. "You can't imagine the things that go through your mind. I've had care, yes, I've been under professional care. I have an open line when I need it. I know where to go."
Thibeault remembers walking in the door as his mother got the ominous call about the futility of searching for her daughter.
"It couldn't have been better than a movie shot," he says. "I was more overwhelmed and in disbelief… I actually thought at the time it was my brother-in-law. His first wife died under suspicious circumstances. My immediate thought was he had done something to my sister."
Richard McVeigh is no longer alive. Saulnier says he died of lung cancer in prison some time ago.
Sgt. Ryan says McVeigh appears to have been in jail shortly before and after his wife's disappearance. But he was not in jail around the time she vanished.
Richard McVeigh was sentenced to six months for domestic assault in September 1991, according to Ryan. He was incarcerated again on a charge of first-degree sexual assault in September 1992. McVeigh also had a record for committing second-degree child abuse in 1989 as well as other crimes.
Excerpted from The Call (Woonsocket, RI) - Sunday, March 12, 2017

• katrina_mcveigh_1.jpg
  • katrina_mcveigh_2.jpg
  • mcveigh_katrina3.jpg
McVeigh, circa 1992

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads