IN IN - Lynn Thompson, 26, Prairie Creek, 26 June 1989

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.wthitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7373156&nav=menu593_2

Nov 2007

More than 18 years ago a Vigo County woman went missing and for years the trail has gone cold.

Now, after a tragic shooting in Merom, Indiana, the Vigo County Sheriff's Department is taking another look.

Lynn Ann Thompson was last seen on June 26th, 1989 at her home in Prairie Creek.

That was more than 18 years ago.

and

Her last name may sound familiar to you, it was just last week when her father-in-law Oscar Thompson, Senior, shot Travis Beard (his grand-daughter's husband) before taking his own life.

The tragic shooting in Merom caused the Vigo County Sheriff's Department to take another look..

and

"We were on the carport, it was just me and her and she says, Debbie, if I come up missing, pursue it. And I said, oh, Lynn! And she says, no, Debbie, I'm serious, if I come up missing, you've got to promise me you will pursue it," said Debbie (Lynn's Cousin).

and

She's described as having brown hair with light blue-grey eyes.
Her grey Pontiac Coupe was found at the old K-Mart parking lot on South U.S. 41 and Davis Drive in Terre Haute.

Authorities are urging anyone with information to please come forward. You can leave a tip with Crime Stoppers at 238-STOP.

more at link

pic
7373156_BG1.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/thompson_lynn.html

It sounds like Lynn had something to be afraid of before she disappeared. I mean, I don't think most people seriously consider the idea that they themselves could be kidnapped. I've thought about it, but I think that's understandable what with all the abducted people I write about.

I hope this article will lead to others which will provide more information and hopefully lead to a resolution in the case.

Have you contacted the police in Thompson's jurisdiction? I think that's a better place to start than here....

Sorry, I didn't have any info, just curious if there was a new development.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/14542152/detail.html
Police: Man Shot Son-In-Law, Killed Himself
Victim Taken To Indianapolis Hospital

POSTED: 1:44 pm EST November 8, 2007
UPDATED: 5:14 pm EST November 8, 2007

MEROM, Ind. -- A man killed himself after shooting his son-in-law in the head early Thursday morning, Indiana State Police said.

Investigators said they believe Oscar C. Thompson, 74, shot Travis Beard at about 6 a.m. in a home in Merom, in southwestern Sullivan County.

Police said they received a 911 call from the home, located in the 2100 block of South Third Street, just after 6 a.m. When sheriff's deputies arrived, they found Thompson dead in the driveway.

Inside the home, officers found Beard, 36, with a gunshot wound to the head.

Investigators said Beard had gotten into his vehicle to go to work and was approached by Thompson, who shot him.

According to police, Beard went to the rear of the home and yelled for help from his wife. Thompson fatally shot himself in the head, police said.

Beard was taken to a nearby hospital and was then transported by medical helicopter to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

Information about Beard's condition was not immediately released.

Does anyone think that this UID might be Lynn Thompson?

DoeNet HotCase 1543: http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1543.html
NamUs Case 2885: https://identifyus.org/cases/2885

Lynn Thompson went missing on 26-Jun-1989. The body of a woman was found in the Mississippi River on 07-Jul-1989 (i.e., 11 days later). The Wabash River cuts through Terre Haute, IN, and continues into the Ohio River, which then feeds into the Mississippi. This appears to be about a 500 mile distance between Terre Haute and Mellwood, Arkansas.

She is not on the NamUs rule-out list for this UID.

It's a little difficult to match these cases on vital stats because there is no height information available for Lynn, and the age range on the UID is pretty wide.

The UID has several scars (paired in twos) on her left wrist, oriented crossways. This would seem to suggest (if the victim was right handed) that she may have attempted suicide earlier in life. There is nothing in Lynn's narrative to suggest that she has ever been suicidal. But then again, there is very little information at all in her narrative.

I went to school with Lynn. Her maiden name was Norris. She was my very best friend. I was maid of honor in her wedding. She got pregnant at a young age and decided to marry the babie's father. I told her she did not have to get married, but she loved him and although he was older, had ask her to marry him. They got married in a church in Prairie Creek. I was her maid of honor. I believe I know what happened to Lynn, she was moving the next day to Fairbanks, Indiana about 20 miles south of Prairie Creek to live next door to her brother. She was taking the kids... Her husband O.C. Thompson told everybody she ran off with a doctor she worked for. However, I know Lynn, and no matter what she did wrong, she would not go without contacting her parents and letting them know she was okay. She hasn't been heard from since. No body was ever found. Rumors suggests what happened to her body, the police are well aware of the rumors, to discusting to post here. But lets just say the post of the serial killer might of done is, is not even a lead. Everybody pretty much knows what happened to Lynn, although her killer still walks free as no body was ever found and no proof. Let me just say I saw her killer at the County Fair and spit on him. I feel sorry for the kids. Lynn's husband came in K-Mart with the kids not even a week after she disappeared, wanting to get the money back on a pool Lynn and the kids had been paying for in Layaway. I told him no, not without the paperwork. He comes back in later with the paperwork and says Lynn had left it in the car they found out in the parking lot when she ran off with the doctor. I just looked at the kids, hard telling what they've been told all their lives. All I know is that I miss Lynn, and hope she is resting in peace.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/thompson_lynn.html

It sounds like Lynn had something to be afraid of before she disappeared. I mean, I don't think most people seriously consider the idea that they themselves could be kidnapped. I've thought about it, but I think that's understandable what with all the abducted people I write about.

I hope this article will lead to others which will provide more information and hopefully lead to a resolution in the case.

Yes, she did. The police know, everybody around here knows, but since the body was never found, her killer still walks free. However, it helps me to know where her killer will spend eternity. I wish young women could learn about how to get out of the clutches of evil men, before it's too late.

First Name: Lynn Ann
Last Name: Thompson

Details

Age When Last Known Alive: 26
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 65.0 to 67.0
Weight: 120.0 to 125.0

City: Terre Haute
State: Indiana
County: Vigo

Appearance

Hair: Brown
Eye: Blue
Clothing:
LT COLORED BLOUSE JEANS TENNIS SHOES
Scars And Marks:
HAS BIRTHMARK ON UNKNOWN SHOULDER

Circumstances:
Thompson was last seen at her home in Prairie Creek.. Her grey Pontiac Coupe was found at the old K-Mart parking lot on South U.S. 41 and Davis Drive in Terre Haute Indiana.. There was no sign of Thompson at the scene.. Prior to Thompson's disappearance she tole her Family to pursue the case if she ever become missing.. Thompson is described as a loving mother. Foul play is suspected.

Last seen alive: June 26, 1989

Namus
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/34545/9

I guess I may be biased, but when I see;

a wife disappear
a father in law who attempts another murder
said father in law being a local Democratic Party officer
husband being a local union president

I am then not surprised when the LE effort seems less than overwhelming. To be fair, it does appear there was serious activity in 1990 and that a Grand Jury was in place to hear evidence ( see https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/106887032/ ) however it seems to have been badly handled (either deliberately or through incompetence). Whilst the article requires a subscription the info can be seen under the heading 'OCR text'. This article does raise the question of who the Pohlmans are (or were) other than friends of Oscar Thompson and how they relate to the case. I presume witnesses would not be called before a Grand Jury just because they are family friends. Can anyone shed light on this?

Yes, she did. The police know, everybody around here knows, but since the body was never found, her killer still walks free. However, it helps me to know where her killer will spend eternity. I wish young women could learn about how to get out of the clutches of evil men, before it's too late.

Are you suggesting that her killer was Sr or Jr? Wasn't 100% certain after reading your posts, but your comment that it helps to know where he will spend eternity suggests that you are referring to Sr who just committed suicide.

Do you have any idea why he would have wanted her dead?

I hope I am just adding 1+1 and making 3 but.......the Pohlman's (who were called as Grand Jury witnesses in the1990 investigation into this case), were not just friends of Oscar Thompson, they also seem to own a meat processing company in Terre Haute. Is this anything to do with the 'disgusting rumours" about what happened to the body, mentioned in post 8?

The Pohlmans did and I believe still do own and run a meat processing business. I am from the area although I am not aware of any rumors regarding this case. We have taken some swine and cattle there to be processed.

Does anyone think that this UID might be Lynn Thompson?

DoeNet HotCase 1543: http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1543.html
NamUs Case 2885: https://identifyus.org/cases/2885

Lynn Thompson went missing on 26-Jun-1989. The body of a woman was found in the Mississippi River on 07-Jul-1989 (i.e., 11 days later). The Wabash River cuts through Terre Haute, IN, and continues into the Ohio River, which then feeds into the Mississippi. This appears to be about a 500 mile distance between Terre Haute and Mellwood, Arkansas.

She is not on the NamUs rule-out list for this UID.

It's a little difficult to match these cases on vital stats because there is no height information available for Lynn, and the age range on the UID is pretty wide.

The UID has several scars (paired in twos) on her left wrist, oriented crossways. This would seem to suggest (if the victim was right handed) that she may have attempted suicide earlier in life. There is nothing in Lynn's narrative to suggest that she has ever been suicidal. But then again, there is very little information at all in her narrative.

Did you ever submit this one CarlK?

Are you suggesting that her killer was Sr or Jr? Wasn't 100% certain after reading your posts, but your comment that it helps to know where he will spend eternity suggests that you are referring to Sr who just committed suicide.

Not the senior. The JR who is free to do this to someone else. Everyone locally who knows the players are certain we know what happened and who was involved. And anyone who does business with the meat processor mentioned is crazy. That family was up to their eyeballs in making her dissappear.

It was JR...not senior. He needs to be arrested for what he did along with his buddy who was called to the grand jury. Do not take animals to be processed there. Those people are accessories to a murder.

The Pohlmans did and I believe still do own and run a meat processing business. I am from the area although I am not aware of any rumors regarding this case. We have taken some swine and cattle there to be processed.

You should not do business with those people. Everyone knows what they did. You are dealing with the worst kind of criminals.

Upon hearing this we have ceased to do business with Pohlmans. We only used them a couple of times in the past when other processors were full. NEVER again will we do business there. I have a family member in Vigo County that was murdered and her case is cold. Oddly enough, her body was found near Prairie Creek. It makes me wonder what is going on down there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back