MO MO - Luther Boyt, 59, Kansas City, 26 Nov 2000

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Boyt's Charley Project page:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/boyt_luther.html

http://www.campkc.com/campkc-content.php?Page_ID=712

11-17-07

Luther Boyt was a thoughtful host and fellow traveler. When he failed to show up on the last day of a move from his mansion, his friends began to search. They haven’t finished yet.

My good friend Luther Boyt disappeared from the face of the Earth sometime after 2 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 26, 2000. He has not been heard from again.

and

Luther was last seen alive at Buddies Bar on Main Street by another close friend, Ray Stille, who happened to be the bartender that particular night. Having just sold his Janssen Place home, Luther planned to spend one last night there. Sunday was to be the final day of a three-day move. Luther was moving to an apartment on Locust, right behind his Janssen Place home. He had withdrawn enough money from an ATM to pay the movers on Sunday morning. Ray, the bartender, said that Luther had to go back to his Infiniti to retrieve enough money to pay for his bar tab and then left the bar sometime after 2 a.m. He did not show up the next morning to open the door for the movers, which was unusual because Luther was a punctual and methodical man who always kept his appointments.

much, much more at link

pic

That's sad and very odd. It doesn't sound, to me, like he ran away.

Luther Boyt was a wealthy man. He lived in a mansion outside of Kansas City, MO. He was planning a move into an apt in KC and had been helping the movers move his furniture from the mansion to his new apt the day of Nov. 25th, 2000. That night he went to a bar and had a couple glasses of wine. It is reported he left around 2:30am. The movers were at his mansion Nov. 26th ready to get back to work but Boyt never showed up.
His car was found a couple days later near Liberty Memorial inside Liberty Valley Park. There was $360 in the car. His wallet was found at his residence with all of his credit cards in it. Luther Boyt was homosexual and apparently the spot his car was found was a popular crusing spot to pick up other men. Boyt's friends insist that Boyt would never have met a man that way and would not have abandoned his car. Whatever the case - something obviously happened since it is 8 years later and no Boyt.

Boyt was supposed to travel to LA to visit his dying father in early Dec.

Luther Boyt has never been heard or seen since.

According to friends police have mishandled Luther's case since the beginning. When his car was found LE did not even dust it for fingerprints. They did not search the car either. Boyt's friends did all of that and established burglary was not a motive considering there was his entire CD collection and $360 in cash. In 2001 a business associate was given a card by Luther's former handyman that told him to drop a bouquet in the river at Piggs Landing and that Luther would understand. It was over a year before LE bothered to interview the handman and it was over a year and a half before cops searched the river....but Luther's friends went immediately to start scouring the banks.

Boyt's frustrated friends have hired a private investigator who was a KC police officer for 16 years.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/boyt_luther.html

http://www.kctv5.com/news/14541163/detail.html

http://www.campkc.com/campkc-content.php?Page_ID=712 (article written by one of Luthers close friends in 2007)

This guy retires at 59 from a state gov't job, buys a mansion, drives an Infiniti, buys antiques and travels for fun, and throws lavish parties for a hundred people or more.

That must have been some pension plan....

This guy retires at 59 from a state gov't job, buys a mansion, drives an Infiniti, buys antiques and travels for fun, and throws lavish parties for a hundred people or more.

That must have been some pension plan....

wow shadow... yah think maybe there's such a thing as inheritance and stuff? I'm sure he obtained his money legally. why would you jump to that point when it has nothing to do with the case. JMHO

It's an observation that the guy had a lot of money, which came from somewhere, and that might suggest another line of thought as to why he is missing. I didn't suggest anything illegal, only that he most likely had other means of income than his chosen profession.

I've read about this guy's disappearance several times on Charley Project and the first thing that jumped out at me was the fact that he probably had quite a bit of money. I've always thought his disappearance was somehow money-related. Even though it said there was $360 in his car that obviously could have been stolen, it sounded like he led quite a lavish lifestyle. He could have made a lot of money in the antique business. I agree, he probably couldn't afford to live the way he did on a state government job alone.

I never even thought of the money situation. He was the director of the statistics dept so he probably got paid pretty well and considering he worked for the gov't he probably had a good retirement package..... but probably not well enough to afford the lifestyle. From what I have read I am a little confused about the mansion. I have seen it mentioned that it had been converted into several apartments and the reason he was moving was because the city was forcing him to turn it back into a one family home. Maybe he was renting out rooms in the house and that was supplementing some of his income. He could also have been into the selling and trading of antiques.
I wonder if he played the stock market or had some investments. Perhaps this was a business deal gone bad kind of thing. Some of these questions could have been answered if LE had done their job and actually investigated his disappearence. Nothing drives me more nuts than hearing stories like this. Eventhough someone is an adult doesn't exempt them from being abducted and when LE won't investigate because that person is an adult is infuriating.

It sounds like he is the one who converted the mansion into apartments. Maybe it was a landmark and neighbors and city officials were upset that he did that. But it also sounds like it was worked out and he agreed to sell.

I just immediately thought that he was wealthy because of all the parties he threw and the fact that he traveled a lot, and maybe that had something to do with his disappearance. He really could have made a lot of money in the antiques business if he was successful.

Also, I think either he decided to go to that park after he left the bar and pick someone up or else something happened to him before that and whoever was responsible took his car and drove it to the park to make it look like he had gone there to cruise. It sure doesn't sound like police wanted to get very involved in this. Like is friends said, they wouldn't even dust the car for prints when his friends were convinced that something could have happened to him. The police probably just thought Luther picked someone up and went home with them in their car and would come back later and get his car. I just hope the detective his friends hired can find a solution to this.

This is a sad situation.

ALT TXT
ALT TXT
ALT TXT

Name: Luther Owen Boyt
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: November 26, 2000
Location Last Seen: Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: November 29, 1940
Race: White
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 210 - 230 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wears glasses, graying hair, moustache and angled front teeth

Identifiers​

Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Dark colored shirt, dark colored sweatpants, dark colored jacket
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: athletic shoes, glasses

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Luther was last seen at approximately 2:30am in the vicinity of 37th St. and Main in Kansas City, MO. His dark green, four door, 1998 Infiniti Q45T was later located on November 26, 2000 in Penn Valley Park in Kansas City, MO.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Kansas City Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Sgt Benjamin Caldwell
Agency Phone Number: 816-234-5136
Agency E-Mail: missingperson@kcpd.org
Agency Case Number: 00-120769

NamUs Case Number: 227
NCIC Case Number: Unknown

Information Source(s)​

NamUs

Admin Notes​

Added: 6/12/12; Last Updated: 11-13-2021 - By: Htmlcnvtr