Government outs chronically underperforming nursing homes

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Fifty-four nursing homes are being told by the government that they're among the worst in their states in an effort to goad them into improving patient care.

Lawmakers and advocacy groups have been pushing the Bush administration to make it easier for consumers to identify poorly performing nursing homes. They complain that too many facilities get cited for serious deficiencies but don't make adequate improvement, or do so only temporarily.

The administration agreed, and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services will list the homes on its Web site Thursday.

"Very, very poor quality nursing homes do not deserve to be left untouched or unnoticed," said Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis., chairman of the Senate Special Committee on Aging. "This is not to be punitive. That's not our goal. Our goal is to see to it that the people in these nursing homes get better quality care or that they get the opportunity to move somewhere else."

The homes in question are among more than 120 designated as a "special focus facility." CMS began using the designation about a decade ago to identify homes that merit more oversight. For these homes, states conduct inspections at six month intervals rather than annually.

The homes on the list got not only the special focus designation, but also registered a lack of improvement in a subsequent survey.

The nursing homes to be cited come from 33 states and the District of Columbia, according to a list obtained by The Associated Press. There are about 16,400 nursing homes nationwide.

On the Net: Nursing Home Compare: http://www.medicare.gov

Rest of article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071129/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/worst_nursing_homes;_ylt=AnKW2qR2yW47Oa0KLxSKkZas0NUE

Thanks for the link, DK. This stuff makes me sick and is exactly why we keep my FIL who has Alzheimers and my SIL who is mentally retarded at home! It's just not worth the risk to us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back