FL - Boy Arrested For Throwing A Crayon At A Teacher

White Rain

Reaction score
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A 14-year-old Florida student on Thursday was facing a third-degree battery charge after throwing a crayon at his teacher, FOX affiliate WAWS reports.
Taewon Little was kicked out of the A. Philip Randolph Academy in Jacksonville and arrested, but his mother said the punishment is too harsh and called her son a model student.
"I felt like they really blew this out of proportion by charging my child with a misdemeanor and taking him to court," Robyn Little said.
Robyn Little said she grounded her son for the act but added that he has never missed a day of school and even attends college preparatory classes on Saturdays.
The school’s principal said Taewon Little will not be allowed re-entry into the school until he completes courses in an alternate learning program.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313963,00.html

Not enough information. All we're getting is the mother's point of view. I'm a teacher, and I've met enough parents to know that some of them have rather rosy views of their children. I wrote up a boy once for calling me a "*advertiser censored**ing b****." It was one in a long line of referrals, and the boy was going to be expelled. At a meeting the mother stated that her son never lies or swears, and that I must be a liar.

This kid may be smart, but that doesn't mean he knows how to act in class. I need more info before making a judgment.

Man, we would never have thrown a crown at a Nun back in the day. You'd wish ya were charged with assault instead facing Sister Can Of Whoop *advertiser censored*s.In Philly they just beat the teachers down or break their necks and I am so not kidding.

Not enough information. All we're getting is the mother's point of view. I'm a teacher, and I've met enough parents to know that some of them have rather rosy views of their children. I wrote up a boy once for calling me a "*advertiser censored**ing b****." It was one in a long line of referrals, and the boy was going to be expelled. At a meeting the mother stated that her son never lies or swears, and that I must be a liar.

This kid may be smart, but that doesn't mean he knows how to act in class. I need more info before making a judgment.

Mr. E I have the utmost respect for you and your Profession. In my opinion next to parenting teaching is one of the most important jobs in the world. Indeed, I see these parents on the news every single day after their kid shot and killed someone. "Oh, he's a good boy. Good kid. Ain't never been in trouble in his life".

I clicked on this thread expecting to see that it was a kindergartener....but a 14 y.o.???? I think the school is handling it EXACTLY right.

Hoppy

My mother works for the school board and her office is in a school. She was called the exact same thing by a 7 year old who was in trouble and coming to see the principal. My mother couldn't believe her ears!!

If I fully and seriously believed that my child would never do that, I wouldn't go to the school and b!tch at them and be mad and demand stuff, I'd be at the school talking to the teacher, principal, counselor etc. because I would be so shocked that she actually did that! I'd be wanting to find out everything that happened and find out what we could do to make sure this would never happen again (as in: how to stop my child from acting like that).

Not sure if that's worded clear enough but I hope you KWIM.

So IMO mom doesn't have much credibility.

Hello, wake up lady (the mom)...model students do not throw stuff and disrespect their teachers! I see how this age group acts at middle school, it's really bad...there is no respect and the language is foul (even from the "good" kids).

I wonder why a middle schooler was even using a crayon and the article doesn't say if this was done as a prank ,out of anger, or is the crayon hit the teacher. The kid is lucky that he wasn't thrown in juvenile detention instead of probably about a month of alternative school. The principal here told me that there's some really rough individuals attending these schools, so I can sort of understand this mother's worry if her son isn't normally a big troublemaker in school, neighborhood, or home.

I clicked on this thread expecting to see that it was a kindergartener....but a 14 y.o.???? I think the school is handling it EXACTLY right.

Hoppy
i read the title and my first thought was what kind of teacher would call the cops on a little kid for this and what kind of cop would the arrest the child... then i read the article. 14 is not a small child.

i live in Jacksonville and can tell you a little about the school. children must apply to this public school. it is what we locally call a skill center. they offer some college prep courses and classes to prepare you to work the day you graduate. http://www.dreamsbeginhere.org/aprtech/index.htm their is a waiting line for this school and i personal am fine with the idea of removing the child to make room for a student that can control his temper. my guess is the crayon is not a fat crayola but a drawing tool used in drafting or the type used to mark wood in construction. this is a high school. 9th thru 12th.

OK- I have a story

About a month and a half ago I was at the library (I'm a book junkie and spend much time there, the employees know me and I know them) waiting in line to check out some books. The woman in front of me was on her cell phone speaking to, I assumed, her husband.

Let me start by saying I am the type of person that is greatly annoyed by people that talk on their phones in public. If you are in a waiting room or in line at the library and the phone rings, I think you should either tell the person you will call them back in a bit or go outside to take the call unless it's a quick question or emergency. I have no interest in other peoples conversations!

So, anyway, the lady in front of me begins getting obviously annoyed with her husband on the phone saying "What about me? You didn't even think about waiting for ME to come home?!- Well maybe I won't f^cking bother then." She then gets quiet, I assume the husband is speaking now. She gets called up in line and then so do I and we are side by side at a desk checking out our items. She still has the cell phone glued to her ear although she isn't speaking into it at the moment.

She says to the librarian waiting on her "I need to check out this movie to show in class but I'm not allowed to get it without approval from you and the school district. I don't understand why my own judgment isn't enough but it's probably because of all the frigging psycho parents." The librarian gives a kind of nervous chuckle and gets up to go look for the movie.

The woman, who I have obviously now figured out is a teacher begins talking on the phone again saying "I don't even know why I'm bothering getting the f^cking movie for these little idiots, they won't pay attention to it anyway." The librarian comes back with the movie and a signout sheet for the woman so as the woman begins filling out the form I begin to get curious and glance over to see if I can read anything on the paper and BOY can I!!!

The movie- the teacher- My sons english teacher!!!

I see how some teachers act too!! Sometimes, some teachers deserve having crayons thrown at them!

LOL, OneLostGirl! So what was the movie?!

I feel so sorry for your son!

OLG...You should have said something to her when you found out she was your son's teacher. I would have said something like, "Good movie choice, my son will like watching it in your class" (and give her face sarcastic grin.) LOL

It was hard for me- very hard not to just confront her but I knew I couldn't because I know myself and I knew I would be unable to control myself I was so angry.

I left the library and after she left I re-entered to speak with the woman who waited on her. Because I am very new at this thinking before acting thing, I then sat on it for a week trying to decide how best to handle it and came to the decision that although the woman should have to face some consequenses, I didn't think the she should lose her job over this if it was just a one time thing.

It could have simply been that she had a bad day and was overwhelmed or her mom died or God knows what, ya know? I didn't want to jump up and destroy this womans whole life because she had a crappy day. So I just called the principle and spoke with her rather then the superintendent and the county.

This whole thing was actually a very good excercise for me because it was only like the 4th time since I have been stable that I have been faced with a situation where I'd normally erupt and didn't. The old me would have looked at her and said "Psycho PARENTS?! more like Physco f^cking teacher!" and I'd probably have spit in her face and gone from there depending on her reaction to my spit ;) (See people, Psych meds DO work LOL)

Sounds like the library loon hates everyone and takes her own miserable attitude (or personality disorder) out on everyone else. I'll bet her class is a horrible experience for the children. Sounds like from her phone conversation that she has already been complained about by quite few parents, students, and school officials.

That is just ridiculous, they need to save that 3rd degree battery charge for someone other than a 14 year old assailant wielding a crayon.

There are crazy teachers out there. Clearly. How many times do we read about teachers sleeping with students? At my own school, there seems to be at least one teacher yearly who does something totally inappropriate, from looking at *advertiser censored* on the internet at school to writing students' papers for them to cheating on standardized tests to sleeping with students. One woman spent school funds to go to a conference, then used it as a free vacation.

However, just like students, MOST teachers are honest, good-hearted people who teach because they feel they have something to give back to the community. I can count on my students to behave appropriately, but every once in a while you get a kid who is just -- off, somehow.

I wish we knew more about this crayon-throwing incident. It seems silly and harmless, but we don't know what was going on in the classroom. Was he angry? Shouting? What were the circumstances? Had he lost his temper before in the classroom? Did he threaten the teacher? Did the crayon maybe hit the teacher in the eye?

It seems silly, but you just never know. These days, with students being arrested or suspended or expelled for silly things like holding hands or writing "I Love So-and-So" on the gym wall, who knows what's going on.

Am I the only one that thinks the charges for tossing a crayola a bit much? Throwing anything at a teacher is inappropriate, but like another poster stated I think this is a bit over the top.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back